GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > Boxer AutoGruppe

Old May 15th 2007, 17:58

Update: my 1302.

Blew up the 2332cc in Dec ( http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=8535 ) , so the stocker is going in. Keeping the trans in, 'cause the bracing/straps/mounts and CV setup would be a pain to go back to stock.

Pulled it from under the bench after sitting for 6yrs. New exhaust, plugs, valve covers, clutch, pressure plate, adjust valves, and install some goodies from the 2L. Temp, oil pressure senders, and 1bolt drain plate.

Spent weekend stripping out the EFI, oil lines/tank, and alternator wiring. Rewire for the stock engine with generator. Stil need to do something about the tin/body i cut back on the side of the compartment for the 2L.

Sould be a easy install right?

So toss up the engine and it wouldn't draw in the last inch into the tranny. Heaterboxes hitting the rear brace. So strip those and order J-tubes. Get it in, wired, fuel, and exhaust. Try to fire nothing. Got spark, and carb not spraying. Fire the engine on quick start. Pull 34PICT-3 and rebuild. Fires up on fuel and can't get it to idle or easy rev. Now that carbs clean, the shaft is loosey goosey.

Old May 15th 2007, 17:59

Take a glance underneath, huge oil slick! Pull motor and flywheel is loose? Gland nut finger tight? Pull it off, and WTF??? NO rear seal! No shims! AHHH dumbass! Pulled the shims for the 2L back then! Set endplay, install new rear main seal.

Now we need a carb. Get some 36 DRLA's from fellow GL'er, and have to "massage" stock shroud to fit. Setup linkage, pre-tune carbs and notice 1 idle air mixture screw is broke! Check to see if stuck in carb passage, all clear it's ok. Order a full set of 4 screws/spring/washers/o-rings!

Was suppose to be a easy install over a couple weekends. What's next? Will the gen charge?
Old May 15th 2007, 18:11

wow your Turbo lol Pete

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old May 15th 2007, 20:38
Administrator

Git R Dun !
Old May 15th 2007, 21:32

Nothing like going from a big motor to a measly stocker!

looking good tho bro, hopefully you grabbed a few tips from pat on the carbs

Alex
Old May 20th 2007, 16:15

Motor back in and the carbs fired up yesterday. Set the timing and it sounds healthy and snappy. Really pleased. So adjust the clutch cable, and try to put in first gear. Won't go in! Apply a litle bit of pressure, and it squeals! Still not going in. Does this in every gear. Shut down the motor, and i can put it in all gears. So roll it back and forth, clutch in and out, yup, its engaging. Fire it up, still a no-go. When bolting in the tranny, the last 3-4mm of the engine mating to the tranny was tight.

The tranny worked well with the 2L. The engine is stock flywheel, chromo Scat glandnut with new disk and pressure plate. The pressure plate looked odd with like 8 fat fingers. My Kep stage 1 has like 15 or so small fingers. Could the PP be the problem?

I'm gonna drop it AGAIN and try mate the engine to Sandeep's old type1 trans and see why it's tight coming together. Gonna bolt up the stage1 from the 2L.

You guys have any ideas?

Last edited by petevw; May 20th 2007 at 16:57.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:07
Administrator

Pete,

When I installed my motor last weekend, I had the same problem with the last 3-4mm. It would not seat so I took the motor back out and loosened the clutch cable all the way.

That worked for me. Have you tried it with the clutch cable totally disengaged ?

Sandeep
Old May 21st 2007, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
Pete,

That worked for me. Have you tried it with the clutch cable totally disengaged ?

Sandeep
Nope, never tried that. With the 2L never did either. Never adjusted the clutch. I will try it. Probably be out Wednesday and hope to be back in and driving by next Sunday.
Old May 22nd 2007, 20:01

Pulled it out right after i posted yesterday. Went outside, and fired it up and listened with a smile on my face, then i got shut it down and ripped her out.

Worked on it today and this is what i found (posted in the trans section):

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...ed=1#post59248
Old July 5th 2007, 23:42

Motor runs and have driven around a bit close to home. Carbs are running rich, so it has what i think may be a flatspot. I don't know, seems like carb lag. Can't find the port to plug the laptop into these Dells. I'm gonna try and bump the timing tomorrow.

Still have to unbolt the towbar plate. It has bottomed out a few times, scaring the crap out of the pedestrians.

Rear carpet, rear seat, gen idiot light, a quick detail, and she should be ready to cruise/show this weekend.
Old July 6th 2007, 23:30

Nice to hear you are so close to driving an air-cooled again. Hope you make the cruise out to Kitchener with no problems. :agree: