GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old February 27th 2006, 19:54

www.remmele-motorsport.com

sells both fiberglass and carbon fiber doors...
(see the "plastics" section)
Old February 27th 2006, 21:46

thanks quick
Old March 29th 2006, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow
....also can you get those doors here in the states and how hard do you guys think it would be to make some
Located in Nevada. http://markvfiberglass.com/catalog/o...oorsD0109.html

Have you ever worked with fiberglass? If not you would first need to learn about all the chemicals and different fabrics and their weights. You would then need 2 perfect doors (each side). Make a mold of each door. If you wanted the top of the door to have a rounded edge on it, make that more work. Then if you wanted to have a working window you would have to glass in the metal mounts for the regulator to bolt up to, glass in metal nuts for the weather strip, glass in the metal nuts for the door handles and latchs to bolt up to, and glass in the inside part of the door. It would be a lot of work and it would not protect you from any side inpact at all. If you have a cage then ignore the last part. It would be really expensive unless you know somebody that works in a shop and could get you a discount.

Glassing is fun but making big stuff is time consuming and expensive. Most stuff you can find already made elsewhere.

Mike
Old March 29th 2006, 22:27

thanks and yes i built an airplane in my grage called a long-ez it was designed by burt rutan it was my dads build but he is algeric to fiberglass so i took over at the age of 14 we call her lumpy
Old March 30th 2006, 17:28

bow - No, is the answer.
With that said..., for grins and giggles this is about as light within reason you can make a hypothetical flying beer can, using something that resembles a VW beetle door slammer. This won't be NHRA legal, just a Saturday night special.

128 lb. - motor no cooling, no generator, no external oil filter, stinger exhaust, non counter weighted crank, and a 12 lb. FW.
3 lb. - 14v Drill motor battery (2volts extra won't hurt).
165 lb. - swing trans, wide5 drum brakes w/drill holes to lighten and rear brakes only.
26 lb. - both back wheels, M&H slicks - 6" wide Michelle rims.
17 lb. - both front wheels, shaved 125's - aluminum wheels, spindle mount.
200 lb. - tube frame car, alum. front end, 1 seat and belts and 1 gal. fuel tank.
300 lb. - body w/aluminum beer can thin floors, gutted interior, tubs-n-rear section, glass tilt front end, lexan windows.
120 lb - driver..., will 100 lbs. and twenty years+ ago and I remember what it was like.
7 lb. - 1 gal. fuel
NO - pressure gages, tach, starter, rear horns to set transmission in (hang it from da'cage), and no torsion housing (look at a FV1200 vw track car).
Yes, this will take some planning, but if you want something close to that 800+/- number bad enough, this is how it's done.

966 lbs. are the numbers here, my alcoholic rail was 1040 wet (driver and fuel), that was about 1982-84yr.
Old March 30th 2006, 21:30

well that is pretty much wat i have rigt now minus the 1 gal fuel tank i run a half gallon i made
Old June 2nd 2006, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik
www.remmele-motorsport.com

sells both fiberglass and carbon fiber doors...
(see the "plastics" section)
Yep, he's got some cool parts, but from what i've heard, he doesn't ship to the states. Got any freinds in France?
Old June 3rd 2006, 16:43

^ i wish. i have been expirementing with some stuff ,but i have just been enjoying my fat slow bug right now i love it
Old June 10th 2006, 09:59

hey I have email remmele and I was looking at the cup fenders he said that he would send them to canada but it was 220$ shiped on a boat plus the cost of parts but I think it's well worth it they got some sweet parts, or you could take a trip there and bring them back with ya