GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 8th 2003, 20:33

more timing talk

I thought about posting this under engines. But I'm maybe relying on Jake's dyno runs for temp. info. Simple question about initial. My bone stock 2.0 L-Jet for the 78 Westy is to be set at 7.5 BTDC. Is it harmful to have it set at 8 or even 10 BTDC? I'd be bumping the total at the same time but that's no big. Stock 205. Reason I ask is that for some reason, after 6 months or so, the timing walks up to 10. Some say that I could have a melt-down or something. Maybe I need a new bracket. That's not important right now since I'm aware of the problem. To get back to it.... My limited knowlegde of VW initial is for the cooling at idle. So maybe I've answered my own question, but it seems to run much better with the three degree bump. Actually gained some mpg. Go figure. I do not have a head temp sensor as of yet so I cannot do my own testing. I use a Berg oil temp dipstick and have yet to see it come on as related to this topic. Thanks
Old April 8th 2003, 20:40

I intended this to be posted at the aircooled tech site. Must be an omen that it is here. No big. My bad.
Old April 11th 2003, 10:47

VW community and timing....

Here's my view of timing: Your initial timing should be set where the engine needs it set, for a stock engine that is usually the factory recomendation. A degree or two more will not usually hurt depending on gas quality and engine condition. Timing is not set for cooling, it is set for effeciency. Max timing should be set for max effecency of a particualar engine configuration. Most VW enthusiasts don't even know how to set timing correctly!! The distributor must be modified (recurved) to get the timing set correctly and the rate of advance correct for each engine configuration. This is common knowlege in the real performance engine world but the VW world is still playing catch up.

Jake is the first VW engine builder I have heard to actually acknowlege the fact that there is significant power to be had with a correctly curved distributor. Most just slam in a 009 and set the max timing at 32 deg and call it good.....

OK, my rant is over....
ken
Old April 11th 2003, 19:56

That wasn't a rant. Good to hear opinions. I agree with you. I also feel that the 009 is totally wrong for a Type 4 just beacuse of the retarded number three. My stocker seemed to "wake up" with a three degree bump. I am going to fashion a piston stop from and old plug to check TDC against the mark on the fan. I'll also check voltage using an O2 sensor I installed. I'll even put it on the sniffer at the mechanic's shop. The past twenty years of wrenchin' was on Detroit iron. The common thing to do was put as much initial in as possible. The past three years with VW's has put me a new learning adventure. Thanks for your input