GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Old January 16th 2007, 02:49

center caps for cup 2's

I got my 993 porsche cup 2's on my ghia, well at least my shop did. It looks good but the center caps I have wont fit on because they are concave in. I know there a a few of you here with modern porsche wheels, have you found any center caps that fit?

These are two pics I took today. The beam in the front is adjusted all the way up, will come down at least an inch.

Old January 16th 2007, 06:38

with my bug sectioned the front bearing covers to get more space. I think I got away with using the concave centres..
Old January 16th 2007, 11:38

can you not get away with thin spacers ?

other than that i can only think of machining down the hub slightly
Old January 16th 2007, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdub View Post
can you not get away with thin spacers ?

other than that i can only think of machining down the hub slightly

For the front I think thin spacers will work. I dunno about the rear though. Where can I find decent spacers to try this out with? And can anybody recommend a size or two to try.
Old January 16th 2007, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekazoid View Post
For the front I think thin spacers will work. I dunno about the rear though. Where can I find decent spacers to try this out with? And can anybody recommend a size or two to try.
I used 6mm custom-made spacers from WheelAdapter.com on the front and over-the-counter 8mm spacers on the rear so the "VW" cap on my BBS wheels would fit. (The rear spacers were more to keep the all four wheels symmetrical to their respective fenders than for the cap.)

Old January 16th 2007, 15:56

Quote:
Where can I find decent spacers to try this out with? And can anybody recommend a size or two to try.
They're called washers and you can buy them at any hardware store
As long as you aren't driving it they will work to get your spacing right. Then just measure the washers and buy the spacers for that thickness.
BTDT
Old January 16th 2007, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyboy View Post
As long as you aren't driving it they will work to get your spacing right. Then just measure the washers and buy the spacers for that thickness.
BTDT
i was gonna suggest that
Old January 16th 2007, 18:34

Nice Ghia, do you have any more pictures? I'm going with the Cup 2's on my Ghia too.

My only suggestion would be the spacers. But, once you add spacers the offset changes and the rear wheels might not fit. I have a set of rear drums to mock up my wheels with, the wheels fit good, but I couldn't use the center cap either. I'm going with Porsche rear brakes, although I can use the center cap, they move the wheel out about an inch. So I had to either widden my fenders or narrow my suspension. I widened the fenders.

You could try to take some off the snout of the drum, but you run into the problem the axle nut will bottom out on the threads before it gets tight.

All in all, that's just my 1 experiance. There could have been other options, I'm sure those aren't the only two (narrow or widden)

My 2 cent. I'd love to know how it works out.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old January 16th 2007, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyboy View Post
BTDT
Ahh smart move. I'll try that out.
Old January 16th 2007, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Nice Ghia, do you have any more pictures? I'm going with the Cup 2's on my Ghia too.

My only suggestion would be the spacers. But, once you add spacers the offset changes and the rear wheels might not fit. I have a set of rear drums to mock up my wheels with, the wheels fit good, but I couldn't use the center cap either. I'm going with Porsche rear brakes, although I can use the center cap, they move the wheel out about an inch. So I had to either widden my fenders or narrow my suspension. I widened the fenders.

You could try to take some off the snout of the drum, but you run into the problem the axle nut will bottom out on the threads before it gets tight.

All in all, that's just my 1 experiance. There could have been other options, I'm sure those aren't the only two (narrow or widden)

My 2 cent. I'd love to know how it works out.
I have more pictures of the car itself, but no more of the car with the wheels since its still at the shop.
http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m...hluwalia/Ghia/

Yeah the rear wheels don't have a lot of room to move out on. My car is already painted so widening the fenders isn't a real option, but how did you do it?

I'm using a full brake kit from cb performance.

I was told that part of the axel lug on the rear could be cut short to make more room, I dunno how much though.

I dunno if I should bring the car back and play with it or let the shop that replaced my suspension/brakes figure it out. I'll have to call them tomorrow and see if they are willing to do anything.
Old January 17th 2007, 22:44

Update: Okay so looks like i'm gonna be getting 10mm spacers all around. I actually only need about 5 for the front but I want to bring the wheels out just that much more. The studs on the cb kit are too short though so my shop (peninsula automotive in campbell, CA in case your interested) is going to press in longer studs. All I have to do is source some spacers. It seems like a lot of work just to just get the center caps on but they make that big of a difference in the look that I think its worth it.
Old January 18th 2007, 11:30

My Super had longer studs all the way around, too. I am sorry I forgot that detail.

I think you are making the right decision and I am sure you will be as happy with your Ghia as I am with my Super when done.
Old January 18th 2007, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
My Super had longer studs all the way around, too. I am sorry I forgot that detail.

I think you are making the right decision and I am sure you will be as happy with your Ghia as I am with my Super when done.
How much were your custom made spacers, if you don't mind me asking. I can't seem to find any place that sells 10mm, its either 5, 7 but then it jumps to 14 or 15. I know I've read about people using two spacers at a time, actually i meet a guy who was going that. But i'm not two sure about the saftey of that setup, although when I think about it I can't see any problem with it as long as the wheel is bolted on correctly. I would just use two 5mm spacers. I'm guess that would be cheaper than having a custom one made.
Old January 18th 2007, 20:23

You are right to be concerned about using multiple spacers -- unless all are hubcentric.

I'm pretty sure the pair of 6mm for the front was $100. They did not have to be hubcentric, though, in my application. Hubcentric would have been more. (The 8mm spacers for the rear were over-the-counter, aftermarket items and cheaper.)

The aftermarket brand was H & R. They made 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 25mm spacers for a 5x100 pattern. Perhaps, they make the 10mm version for your pattern.

Last edited by oasis; January 18th 2007 at 20:37.
Old January 18th 2007, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
You are right to be concerned about using multiple spacers -- unless all are hubcentric.

I'm pretty sure the pair of 6mm for the front was $100. They did not have to be hubcentric, though, in my application. Hubcentric would have been more. (The 8mm spacers for the rear were over-the-counter, aftermarket items and cheaper.)

The aftermarket brand was H & R. They made 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 25mm spacers for a 5x100 pattern. Perhaps, they make the 10mm version for your pattern.
Yeah I was looking at H&R sets but for the porsche bolt pattern it goes 7mm then 14mm

You said unless all are hubcentric, does that mean its feasible to use two spacers if they are both hubcentric or is it still not very safe?