GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old January 25th 2010, 07:48

nice! Can these be ordered online? I only found vague information about thorsten pieper on the web.
Old January 25th 2010, 08:07

Hey Mark,

Thats cool!

Did he change gear size? I am sure you didn't get two 32mm gears...
Old January 26th 2010, 03:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellex View Post
nice! Can these be ordered online? I only found vague information about thorsten pieper on the web.
He doesnīt have a shop or anything.If someone is interested I can contact him.

Quote:
Did he change gear size? I am sure you didn't get two 32mm gears...
I donīt know if he changed gear sizes or not.But I just measured again,they are all 32mm diameter.Actually there are 2 gear sets,total of 6 gears.Iīll take some more pics later,makes it easier to explain.
Old January 26th 2010, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
I donīt know if he changed gear sizes or not.But I just measured again,they are all 32mm diameter.Actually there are 2 gear sets,total of 6 gears.Iīll take some more pics later,makes it easier to explain.
Ok, I am curieus as mine are 26mm pressure side and 38mm suction side, which seems about perfect to me for a street/strip engine.
Same size pressure as suction is odd. IIRC, the suction gears could be a set working in line?
We are talking gear length, not diameter right?
Old January 26th 2010, 05:51

Nope,gear diameter.Here are some more pics.Maybe thereīs a difference in the housing? The long gears are 2 piece,then the 2 short gears behind the cover makes a total of 6,but all have the same diameter which is 32mm.Sorry,Iīm not a good photographer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2317.jpg (80.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2319.jpg (81.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2320.jpg (79.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2318.jpg (84.2 KB, 40 views)
Old January 26th 2010, 06:58

Quote:
Nope,gear diameter.
I was afraid you meant that...

Gear diameter is viryually the same for ALL pumps because the housing diameter in the case has a given size. So, pump capacity for our purpose is always measured in gear length...

Dude, you must really get out more!
Old January 26th 2010, 11:30
Administrator

Quote:
He doesnīt have a shop or anything.If someone is interested I can contact him.
Hi Mark,

You have a PM about the TP pump.

thanks

Sandeep
Old January 27th 2010, 04:40

Quote:
Dude, you must really get out more!
Yeah,youīre right I do need to get out more.I just didnīt think about it... I got mixed up,sorry
The 2 piece long gear has a total length of 38mm (26mm+12mm) and the shorter gear behind the cover has 26mm.
Old June 19th 2010, 10:50

Hereīs another small update - itīs been a while..the 47x39 valves arenīt here yet,thatīs why they are missing the pics.Other than that the heads are finished.I still have a couple of minor things to do on the case,after that the engine can be assembled,finally!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2350small.JPG (55.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2346small.JPG (39.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2348small.JPG (30.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2345small.JPG (27.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2352small.JPG (56.3 KB, 53 views)
Old August 9th 2010, 03:07

Hi everyone,finally the custom order valves arrived! 47mm intake and 39mm sodium filled exhaust valves both with 8mm shaft.Unfortunately,I found that my case deck has to be milled,because it wasnīt 100% straight.So that will be put me back a bit and I wonīt be able to assemble until the case comes back.Iīm hoping it will be back in about a week or two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2354.JPG (69.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2355.JPG (66.9 KB, 19 views)
Old August 9th 2010, 04:01

Hey Mark,

How and where did you measure the case exactly to verify this?

Nice looking valves, not sure about the sodium filling being the ones to use though. How much do they weigh?

Tnx,
Walter
Old August 9th 2010, 04:40

Hi Wally,
Thanks! I just used a straight edge and a dial indicator just like you would measure deckheight,only that you measure the case deck/spigots without the cylinders of course.I measured at 4 points on each bore,you must make sure that the straight edge is level to have a reference. I used aluminum tape which is 0.10mm thick to level the straight edge out.Once the edge is level ten you can measure the spigot/bore and detect a difference.The straight edge has holes for the headstuds.There was also a very small groove approx. 0.15mm where the cylinders "dug in" into the case,which I didnīt like to beginn with,but didnīt really bother anything,but this was the reason I decided to see if the spigots were level.Thatīs the way it goes,if you dig far enough you will usually find something..so I will have the case milled to the deepest measurement that was recorded,which was 0.15mm.The measurements varied from 0.10mm to 0.15xx mm.Iīm not sure if that is just a tolerance from the cast or if the cylinders actually pushed the case in due to expansion or whatever? it possibly may not have any effect on anything,but safe is safe..
I havenīt weighed the valves yet,I have a good scale at work and will weigh them today.Thereīs pros and cons for sure about sodium filled valves,I agree.These Valves are made by the same company that makes the valves for some of the WRC cars - so I donīt have any doubts really.
Old August 9th 2010, 04:48

I forgot something,another way,which is easier,level out the edge and ride the dial indicator along the spigot and record the difference the needle shows.The indicator I used didnīt have a ball at the end,which forced me to be more creative..
Old August 9th 2010, 07:21

Its difficult to picture what you described exactly, but I think I see what you mean/did. If I understand correctly, you measured the surface of each spigot hole to be flat and it was not.
Thats important of course, if not alone for sealing, but you still don't know if the distance from the crank centerline is equal for all cylinders right? Or did I miss s/th in your descirption?

I like the superalloy valves of Ferrea and Manley, but thats said, the korean stainless $60,- per 4 valves (15 each therefore) from aircooled.net worked well in the 270 hp version of my stock-ish 2 ltr 914 turbo engine for quit a while at that power level, so more may be overkill anyways
Old August 9th 2010, 17:00
Administrator

Good to hear you're almost ready to build Mark.

Are you doing anything special to the inside of the case as far as smoothing any sharp edges ? My webcam magnum straight cut gear set should be here any day now, so its almost time to dust off the engine assembly bench

Looking forward to your updates.

Sandeep