GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Feedback, Suggestions, & Help

Old March 5th 2010, 13:59

Parts Design Section

I just discovered Google makes a product called Sketchup that makes 3D modelling pretty damn easy for everyone. While not a full CAD program, probably decent enough for basic parts design, etc.

What do you think of creating a section for design models where members can post their parts designs for others to leverage. I realize some want to keep their designs private, but I think there would be enough people interested in sharing.

Consider the swan neck design for the 944 brake cable end. How much better would it be if you could pull a 3D model with measurements than looking at the photocopied image we have up there now?

Sketchup has a free version that seems functional enough. The licensed version is $495 however. You can find it at sketchup.google.com.

Just trying to find some new ways to keep interest for the members.

Thoughts?

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old March 6th 2010, 06:03
Administrator

I'm in.

I use Rhino3D, but could certainly post up files in a format that can be opened in a variety of programs. The problem, I suspect, is that you'll find it to be rather rare that people are willing to offer up their design files. It's too easy for people to download them, and start something commercial with the file. On the other hand, if you post something close to a current commercial design it can leave you open to a whole lot of problems.

It's worth a shot, but I just can't see it being a busy portion of the site. Heck, worst thing that happens is you pull it down later

Send me a link to the swan neck photocopy. If I have time this coming week I'll model it up so the site has something better then a photocopy.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old March 8th 2010, 18:37

@volkdent: Already have but not for bug parts yet.

@owdlvr: Agree wholeheartedly and why I was hesitant to recommend it, but thought it worth conversation. We would need to ensure intentions and participation requirements are VERY clear, but it is possible. The intent, as I see it, is specifically for an "open source" approach as seen in software development. Those willing to share part designs, can get participation/input from the community for design improvements and other's may re-design the part with improvements built in with the understanding that they are required to share those improvements back with the community. That is what has improved open source applications over the years to become as viable as they are (reference Linux, Apache, MySQL, Google's Andriod OS and Browser, etc). As with open source software, I don't see an issue with someone taking a design and trying to make a commercial offering out of it, but that is just me. There is nothing easy or cheap about trying to take anything and commercialize it to the point of profitability...esp parts or just about in this industry. Another copyright-concerned approach would be a commons approach.

Keep the conversation rolling.

Old March 8th 2010, 19:53
Administrator

Um, Zen,

You need to fix something! My original reply to this thread apparently needed 'moderator approval'. Apparently you can see it, but the rest of us can't!

I also can't see Volksdent's reply.

But yes...lets start it, I have a few things I can post up to get the ball rolling.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old March 8th 2010, 20:49

^^ i can only see Zen's 2 posts and the one above mine by owdlvr.
Old March 9th 2010, 10:15

It is because I accidentally started it in the wrong section (which is secured) and moved it, but the rights are hosed up for some reason. Rather than try to track this down (which I have tried unsuccessfully) I will just quote the previous two so everyone is caught up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Sounds cool, are you going to take the first stab at it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdlvr View Post
I'm in.

I use Rhino3D, but could certainly post up files in a format that can be opened in a variety of programs. The problem, I suspect, is that you'll find it to be rather rare that people are willing to offer up their design files. It's too easy for people to download them, and start something commercial with the file. On the other hand, if you post something close to a current commercial design it can leave you open to a whole lot of problems.

It's worth a shot, but I just can't see it being a busy portion of the site. Heck, worst thing that happens is you pull it down later

Send me a link to the swan neck photocopy. If I have time this coming week I'll model it up so the site has something better then a photocopy.

-Dave

Old February 22nd 2015, 12:04
pearlofMN

Parts Design Section

This is the section where you post your replies to. I will start a discussion for you and I then leave it up to you, discuss anything which you will want, pictures, polls etc.
Any problems U2U me
Remeber this will be your section

Ok, what do you think for a colour scheme for the new section??
Old March 17th 2019, 06:30
Henrywiple

Parts Design Section

Cant wait til the Paul and Helen section comes up A photo gallery would be really cool
When do you think it will be up by Mark?