GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old June 29th 2004, 00:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl R
The engine was fried , and cost the shop who did the work alot of money to replace the engine in this car . It ended up being something like $15 thousand with labour and taxes when all was done . I ended up having to buy a socket just for the filter , so I wouldn't do the same thing . Axl .

For that much you could buy a new car.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old June 29th 2004, 22:13

Location: Calgary , AB , Canada - Home of the Western Conference Champion Calgary Flames!!!
I am not sure exactly how much it actually ended up being , but I do know it was very expensive . Also , don't forget that this is in Canadian $$$$$ , which means it would probably be closer to 8 or 9 thousand American (rough guess) . The car in question I believe was worth about 18-22 thousand Canadian brand new (it was loaded) . I guess you have to take into account where I am when you look at the money question . Not only is the American dollar worth more , but as Canadians , we are paid more per average than Americans , but we also pay more for the same items , and we are taxed at a higher rate than Americans (right now I pay about 40% taxes , and thats not close to being in the highest tax bracket , which is very close to 50%) . In the end , I think I would prefer the American system over the Canadian system anyday . As a matter of fact , our leader (called a Prime Minister) and his party (the Liberals) were just found to have wasted on what is called the Sponsorship Scandel , several BILLIONS of dollars . The sad part of it all is that not more than six months after this all hit the fan , the public STILL put them back in power in the last election . Only in Canada . Axl .
Old June 29th 2004, 23:01

Canadians aren't the only ones... US polititians can steal, lie, get busted for buying and selling drugs, commit conspiracy, you name it, and still get re-elected.
VKG Bastage child
Old June 29th 2004, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl R
I am not sure exactly how much it actually ended up being , but I do know it was very expensive . Also , don't forget that this is in Canadian $$$$$ , which means it would probably be closer to 8 or 9 thousand American (rough guess) . The car in question I believe was worth about 18-22 thousand Canadian brand new (it was loaded) .

I guess you have to take into account where I am when you look at the money question . and we are taxed at a higher rate than Americans (right now I pay about 40% taxes , and thats not close to being in the highest tax bracket , which is very close to 50%) .

Only in Canada . Axl .

I forgot about the conversion rates. It still works out to about the same percentage of the cars total value.

I pay around 28% taxes to 33% depending on the amount of my paycheck.

Only in America...
Old June 30th 2004, 22:40

Location: Calgary , AB , Canada - Home of the Western Conference Champion Calgary Flames!!!
We have an American on our breakfast show up here on one of the channels , and he said he was asked why he moved up here from the U.S. His response was he felt like he just wasn't being taxed enough! Axl .
Old June 30th 2004, 22:58

Well I'm taxed enough and don't want anymore taxes. Although I don't mind paying taxes when the money is spent on needed causes. I hate paying for politicians little pet projects.
Old July 1st 2004, 10:22

at least for your extra taxes you get healthcare... :agree:

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old July 10th 2005, 04:08

Axl, how much power?

back to the eco-tec stuff, Axl, how much reliable power can i get from an ecotec motor for 4000-5000 dollars(U.S.)? I'm brain storming right now and I'm considering anything. All suggestions welcome. I'm shooting for the 400 hp range. Oh yeah, it will be connected to a 6-speed g-50 (good for 800 hp in a 3,000 pound car) thanks a lot.

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old July 10th 2005, 08:58

Talking

Maybe I can help with some Eco info...
This thread is 14 pages long but has tons of Eco info from several guys doing conversions right now... http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=69767

As far as dollars spent, $500 would probably get you a good used Eco, another $2k for everything to make it run. That gets you 170hp. For $600-700 you could add a non-intercooled turbo ( if you built the kit yourself ) and would get you to probably 225hp. If you were gonna go any farther, you need to build it for boost, i.e. turbo pistons, better rods, billet crank. Then you could go big turbo, intercooler, big boost. You could easily make the 400hp but it won't be happy on pump gas and you will seriously stretch that $5k you want to spend...
The big thing is how cheap you can find an Eco to start with and how much fabrication and salvage picking you are willing to do. A lot of the turbo bits could be had on the cheap but decent pistons, crank and rods will be retail items. Trying to run 15-20psi boost without the bottom end parts, you'd be building a grenade.
VKG Bastage child