GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old October 9th 2010, 15:48

Thumbs up 944 single pot calliper rebuild

Taking you from this

To this

My cylinders were honed and the pistons cleaned and oiled. Bodies were stripped and painted in Smoothrite and the bleed and feed cleared out before starting the assembly. (thanks Dad!)

Learn here from me, its easier to assemble the pots and carriers together before putting the pistons in, but make sure that the second part of the calliper goes on last. Easy on the fronts because they are separate. On the rears assemble this bit last as shown below.

Parts are available at good prices from Pelican Parts and I have some brand new pad fitting kits (for later!) from them too.

You'll need a caliper rebuild kit (rear kit shown), some brake fluid and optionally rubber grease

Fit the pots into the carriers, they are a friction fit. Best method is get them started and then knock the assembly on some old carpet on the floor with your weight on the pot to drive it home. Remember that the bleed nipple in every instance goes on the curved side (top) of the carrier.

A later picture but it shows how it is oriented (rear pictured).

---

Get your pistons and cylinders cleaned with some degreaser or the like and make sure that the seal groove is well cleaned too.

Fit the dust seal to the piston

Then get the straight seal into the bore and straight in

Rub some brake fluid all over the bore and the piston surfaces to ensure full coverage, this will also stop any rust forming if they are being stored before using. I smeared some rubber grease on here to help the piston ease in

Get the piston in straight and push it home, it'll be tight but that's a good thing.

Then pull the dust seal over the body of the pot...

And fit the split ring to retain

That is job done for the fronts, the rears are slightly different, check the photo at the beginning of the thread. For these you have to install slides and assemble both parts together.

---

Pop some rubber grease onto the back of the slides to help them stay put, this part is tricky

Get the calliper upside down as shown, the springs need to line up, you'll see where if you're doing them

Taxing at best, but you need to push down on the other part of the calliper while pushing it over the slides and keeping them in place. You'll end up with them looking like this

Job done.

All ready for these stainless overbraided hoses

Last edited by al_kaholik; October 9th 2010 at 15:54.
Old October 28th 2010, 05:33

As an aside from this, I've found the perfect MC to be using with single pot calipers too.

It's a Volvo 240 stepped cylinder with 22.22mm and 15.87mm outlets which should give some nice balance. Thanks to EvilC for advice and mutual rambling about brakes and the like.

No need for a balance box, new pedals or expensive modifications, maybe relocation of holes to mount and a 4 way (M10x1) brake union too.

Result for all those wanting brake upgrades on the cheap