GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old January 8th 2007, 23:46

front brakes

OK the wheels Im looking into have and offset of +40-45mm and I am curious about the frontend. I have a 72 Standard bug. I was wondering if I could stay with drums front an rear with 15 or 16" wheels with a 6.5-7" width ( im not really a fan of fiberglass fenders) the rear should be fine though. The motor is going to be basically stock (for now anyways, it will be a 1915cc one day though), my question is would disc brakes up front make my frontend stick to far out my fenders or even up to the fenders?THe disc brake kit i seen was in cip1 and Im not sure if I would need them or not....i didnt know if this was asked before on not, i searched but all i could get was porsche brakes...
Old January 9th 2007, 09:09

Ive heard that the kits on CIP doesn't make it any wider. But if so you can always narrow the beam a little.
Old January 9th 2007, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBug View Post
Ive heard that the kits on CIP doesn't make it any wider. But if so you can always narrow the beam a little.
cool, for the frontend, with the disc brakes could i use a rim with a 38mm offset or do i still need the 40mm-55mm offset for front also, even with disc brakes and drop spindles, sine they do change the offset too.
Old January 11th 2007, 19:26

With 7et42 wheels, you will have no problems in the back (drums).

In the front, with drums you will have to narrow the beam 2". With dropped spindles and disks, you may be able to get away with the 2" beam, but I'd do a 3" beam to be sure. It definately will not fit with a stock width beam.

There isn't any offset difference between drums and disks (the regular Karmann Ghia disks). Dropped spindles add about +.25" (CB style) or .50" (welded style) per side.

Lanner
Old January 11th 2007, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
With 7et42 wheels, you will have no problems in the back (drums).

In the front, with drums you will have to narrow the beam 2". With dropped spindles and disks, you may be able to get away with the 2" beam, but I'd do a 3" beam to be sure. It definately will not fit with a stock width beam.

There isn't any offset difference between drums and disks (the regular Karmann Ghia disks). Dropped spindles add about +.25" (CB style) or .50" (welded style) per side.

Lanner
cool thanks now what if I was to go with 15x4.5inch fuchs up front and 15x5.5 or 6inch in rear, sorry for the stupid questions.....did i mention im still learning bout the ac world
Old January 11th 2007, 21:51

The Fuchs will work with the stock beam. But last time I checked, 4.5's sell for about $US1200-1500 a pair.

Lanner
Old January 11th 2007, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
The Fuchs will work with the stock beam. But last time I checked, 4.5's sell for about $US1200-1500 a pair.

Lanner
reproductions sell for 159.95 but rear I dont got a clue what Id run 15x5.5's maybe what could you run in rear on drums?
Old January 12th 2007, 02:23

also same question about offsets with disc brakes but repro porsche 2.0 rims
Old January 14th 2007, 00:29

You do not need to chop your beam if you use 4.5" Fuchs. At the rear, stock 6" Fuchs will fit an IRS car with no mods.
Old January 18th 2007, 00:04

Ok I decided basically to keep my current wheels BUT the only issue about them is there offset sucks, so disc brakes might not be and option, is there anything I could do to beef up the drum brakes?

you know lol for that sleeper look...
Old January 18th 2007, 06:10

Drum brake upgrades are easier than you may think. If you can find a dead Super Beetle, they have bigger front drums that are both wider and larger in dia. The only alteration you need to do is redrill the backing plate's mounting holes to fit the pattern on your standard Beetle. You have to get everything from the Super, most importantly, the wheel cylinders.

The rears can be upgraded too. Find a dead 66-73 Type 3. Again, get everything off the rear of that and install on your Beetle.
Old January 18th 2007, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
Drum brake upgrades are easier than you may think. If you can find a dead Super Beetle, they have bigger front drums that are both wider and larger in dia. The only alteration you need to do is redrill the backing plate's mounting holes to fit the pattern on your standard Beetle. You have to get everything from the Super, most importantly, the wheel cylinders.

The rears can be upgraded too. Find a dead 66-73 Type 3. Again, get everything off the rear of that and install on your Beetle.
Could I get the super beetle front drum brakes and rear Type 3 drums new from a shop and buy the wheel cylinders new?Just wondering as I feel weird buying used parts, bad luck .
Would this work?
http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=3.46.4690
And with this Id assume Id have to get super beetle brake lines?
http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=3.46.6586
and the drums
http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=3.48.4700
Then for the rear drums would this work?Mostly because Type 3's here are a PITA to find.
http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=6.45.4701
and this if I need it
http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=6.46.4690

Thanks Bruce, I wasnt really sure if Disc brakes were the only option.I know the stock drums would probably give up with a 1914cc(something that will come way way later on down the road) 1 project at a time

would these drums change my offset at all if any?
Old January 18th 2007, 09:23

haha or maybe one of you guys if your close to me, that has a super beetle and is converting over to whatever bolt pattern porsche? and you dont need the super beetle front drums will let me have them same with T-3 guys. Im in Orlando Florida by the way.
Old January 18th 2007, 11:45

Well, I didn't know Supers and standards had different drum brakes. Since Bruce2 knows they are wider with a larger diameter, that would change your offset requirements.

It pains me to see your request. I couldn't give away my drums when I did my brake upgrade two years ago. They are probably in some landfill right now doing no one any good.

If you are considering wheels with non-traditional bolt patterns, why not buy some blank drums and have them studded the way you want them? (I do realize new costs more than free ... I am just tossing you a thought provoker, that's all.)
Old January 18th 2007, 13:45

I have a set of front super drum assy... off a '79 vert. I put a top line disc kit and spring kit on for my father-in-law. Let me make sure there still in the basement when I get home... you pay shipping and there yours.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG