GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Classifieds > For Sale

Old September 2nd 2019, 17:57
Administrator

'66 Canadian Standard - North of Toronto Ont Canada

So it looks like Dad has run out of steam on his '66 project, and I live on the other side of the country...otherwise I'd be pushing to keep it. 1966 Canadian Standard Beetle, rust free body. Pans replaced, new front beam, tonnes of parts, lots of original parts.

The good:
  • Canadian Standard, which sometimes means a weird parts mix. It has the narrow pre-63 license plate light and partial headliner...which are both correct for the car.
  • Body rust, which their doesn't appear to have been much of, was all taken care of. Previous guy was apparently a "bodyman"...though, possibly not a VW guy.
  • Pans are excellent
  • Original seats and covers in excellent shape. They could use a cleaning, and there is a single vertical tear in the passenger seat back, but they are incredible for being 1966 originals.
  • Door panels, door handles, window winders, all dash bits factory original.
  • Doors, a-pillars, and hinges on both sides are excellent. No dropping, and they open and close better than any VW I've owned.
  • Original rubber floor mats, mix of new and original carpet.
  • Boatloads of original parts that come with the car. I'm not pulling out all the milk crates to photograph though!

The weird:
  • Ball joint front end...I only noticed that tonight, so we're not sure the pan restoration history outside of it being numbers matching.
  • The 'body man' didn't replace the front engine seal firewall, or the apron, before painting the body. I cut out the engine bay piece from one of my cars, Dad bought the Wolfsburg West rear apron. Neither have been installed.
  • Still has the original Volkswagen Canada tires on it! Though, I should be clear they are all cracked and not good for use. Based on the interior and tires there is strong suspicion the mileage is original.
  • Not sure if the steering wheel is correct or not. Canadian standard SHOULD have the thin 3-spoke...but I'd have to do more '66 research. There is a Samba thread about 1966 Canadian standards.

The bad:
  • Fenders that come with the car are rough. I'd personally buy a better set, dad would fix the ones he has.
  • Comes with both numbers matching 1200 engine, and a spare engine. Neither are (currently) running, but the numbers matching case and internals are in great shape. The heads could use to be replaced, which is why they haven't been reassembled.
  • Paint on the engine decklid is ready to go, but the main shell is base only (for a base-clear paint job).
  • Original door panels had speakers installed into them at some point. Just a shame.
  • The driver's door needs to be adjusted. Lower hinge needs to be adjusted out. I'm listing it under the 'bad', because I haven't done it and can't confirm I can make the door / rear quarter (which was replaced) line up perfectly. For what it's worth, though, the top of the door sticks out a bit too...so I highly suspect a simple door alignment.

$6500 Canadian will take it all. I'd be buying it off Dad if I wasn't currently negotiating for the 1965 Leavens Boat he has!

Best to contact me via email: spokes@the-wire.come or text 604 849 0076 if you're interested. Located in Barrie Ontario, about 1.5hrs North of Toronto.

'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old September 4th 2019, 20:11

What about that white one you have...is that for sale?
Old September 10th 2019, 01:52
Administrator

The white one? My 1969? That one moved onto a buddy of mine years ago when the Rally Bug became ready for paint.
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old September 10th 2019, 09:22

In jest, I'm referring to the rally car. Some things are only funny to me.