GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 3rd 2003, 20:03

boxing suspension arms

Anyone experienced on boxing control- or trailing arms?
I think the way of making supension arms from pressed steelplate leaves too much flexing in them when driving hard. When you compare early Super controlarms that are of solid iron to the later type you understand the differences in their rigidity.
When you "box" an arm you dont loose much in weight as the structure remains hollow, but gain a much more rigid unit. But can one go too far when stiffening suspension parts?
Any opinions on this matter?

Justin
Old May 3rd 2003, 20:41
Superman

I understand and agree with you in the differences between the early and late Super control arm. Now in reference to the rear arms, here in America there are many Baja (offroad) arms that are made and sold by suppliers modified in the matter that you have in question. I'll search for a picture and post it.
Old May 3rd 2003, 20:48

I agree with you totally! I was thinking of doing that too with two strips of mild steel of the same guage as 1303 control arms. I think the finished product would still weigh less than the cast steel, or cast iron arms on a 1302. (not sure exactly what they are made of)
I guess the trick would be to weld them slowly, and in sections rather than running a bead start to finish along the whole length of the arm. This way, less heat is soaked into the control arms, causing warpage, or stress.

Yetibone
'83 928S 4.7
Old May 3rd 2003, 21:06
Superman

I can't seem to find a good picture online as in the magazines. I know you're overseas but if you have access to a Hot VW/ Trends magazine look in the back and you should find a better pic. I'll post the only pic I found (@sandrail.com) that's kinda dark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailarm.jpg (14.3 KB, 58 views)
Old May 3rd 2003, 22:20

You are right about the welding Yetibone; youll have to do it rather slowly, proceeding only in short strips, and dont cool it with water afterwards - it will harden the seam.
I have seen similar aftermarket trailing arms like those Superman, but again: I`m on a tight budget.
This is something I´m looking after: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/03/controlarms/

Justin
Old May 4th 2003, 10:44

Hi

You always get them made out of moly tube.

Steve C
Old May 4th 2003, 21:16

Yup Steve, homemade molytube-arms would be just the thing I want, but its impossible by the laws here in Finland.
I`m going to use standard 1302 control arms up front, and in the rear I intend to box the original trailing arms to reduce flexing.

Justin