GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 29th 2005, 01:34

if you were asking me that question bean then i will get back to you with some info and possibly a website that has the isntall details.

Anthony
Old September 29th 2005, 01:58

Subaru motor builders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71superbug
Just to clarify..a rotary is not unreliable if looked after..just like any car.

secondly, you CAN put the radiator/radiators in the back.

a design i might be doing, which is the same as ian swinkles is to have two litle radiators from PWR. one under each rear fender with a fan on each.

ian swinkles runs this setup with GREAT success. and very little cutting required compared to mounting it up the front.

good to see antoher conversion on its way though.

Anthony
I can understand that if the motor is "looked after" and it's well taken care of, it has the ability to be a reliable motor, in stock form. But with the addition of performance products and cost effectiveness, the EJ20 seemed to be the logical choice. I'm purchasing everything with the intent to swap it over to the previously mentioned monster shortblock with the exception of the turbo. Anything too large will be laggy on the 2.0, but the 2.5 has quite a bit more exhaust velocity/volume, so, obviosly a better choice for high HP/Torque.

After speaking to a couple of the leading tuners that work on both motors, rotary motors are "unreliable under high boost pressures with stock housings, and rotors." If guys that build and tune the motors all day say that the rotary motor is more difficult to work with, less reliable on a stock block, and more expensive to get high HP #'s with, I went with the logical choice...Subaru's EJ20TT.

Make the decision for yourself though, this seemed to be the right motor for me. I made a new thread adding up the prices for a complete motor with 250 hp that added up to be $1500 USD, minus the radiator (everyone has there own theory on where the best place to put it and which to use. Dodge caravan radiators are widely used up front with no cooling issues and fit well.

The best people to talk to about Subaru motors are:

Chris or Tom at Danzioperformance.com (In my oppinion, the best, very knowledgeable, excellent suggestions, and work with many differant motors, specialize in Subaru, LS1,LS2,LS6,Northstar, and rotary motors) 951-245-2537

Crawford performance (The best street subaru motor builder on the planet) 760-631-2927

Xcceleration.com (very high HP, pricey) 1-860-985-3006

Outbackmotors.com (the best sandrail subaru motor builder) 714-994-5222 (talk to Jon, Mack shatters my hopes and dreams everytime I talk to him)

Best of luck to ya,
I'll post pictures of the project tomorrow

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old September 29th 2005, 01:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71superbug
if you were asking me that question bean then i will get back to you with some info and possibly a website that has the isntall details.

Anthony
yeah, i was. i checked on aussie vdub forum and couldnt find anything on the twin radiator setup...
Old October 27th 2005, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
I'll post pictures of the project tomorrow
Ahem, Pictures? Please?
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...