GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old November 16th 2004, 13:48

Tarox or porsche?

hey. i have a 71superbeetle currently and am looking at upgrading the brakes for the future turbo motor i plan on dropping in there.

i have been looking at the tar-ox brakes and also a porsche 944 conversion but the porsche conversion seems like a lot more messing around as the tar-ox kit comes with a little adaptor plate that apparently lets you bolt these straight on. i emailed them and asked them about a rear kit also and they said they dont have them yet but are working on them.

so, for my questions. wat kind of work is required to install both the tar-ox kit and the porsche kit on the front if i already have front discs?

also. how does the perfromance of a porsche setup (944 most likely) compare to that of the tarox grooved vented discs with 6 piston calipers?

Any information regarding either of these two options would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony
Old November 16th 2004, 19:54

do a search. there is quite a bit of information in other threads on what it takes to do the Porsche conversion. the conversion is pretty easy on a super. you can also check with some of our sponsors. almost all have some brake conversions available.

there is at least one thread on the Tarox, but to the best of my knowledge he is the only one that has done the conversion on this board.

what kind of driving are you looking to do? ghia discs all the way around is fine for street use. if you are doing some autox or the likes, an upgrade is warranted.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old November 17th 2004, 03:40

the car would be for street use with occasional track/drag strip use.

i would be aiming for around the 200rwhp mark so i figure that a brake upgrade is warranted.

Anthony
Old November 17th 2004, 09:44

Im not an brake expert so dont quote me plz
As Zen siad do a search.

As many pistons as you have in your calipers the better;
multi pot (pistons) calipers work progressively and its supposed to be harder to lock them under hard braking. but this has to do with weight transfer as well. you might need to change your master cylinder and you brake limiting valve (do beetles have one actually?)

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL