GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 10th 2005, 15:00

tire size?

what has a more determining factor in tire size width or diameter, does diameter even play a role?

what are the recomended wheel width for a 205 tire?

thanks
Old May 10th 2005, 16:48

Rip, It all depends on what you are going to do with your bug. Diameter is important for launches and top speed. The smaller tire(to a point) the better exceleration the bigger the tire the higher top speed.A thinner series tire will handle better than a fatter series tire, in return the thinner series tire also requires different suspention set up and components than a fatter series tire.You said you are going to run a 205 width tire. I would go with a 50-55 series tire depending on tire diameter. The only thing I can tell you about width is, tire width depends on your wheel width. 205/55-15 or 205/50-16or17

Hope this helps,
mike
Old May 10th 2005, 17:03

oh, hmmm

sorry, I think I wasn't clear, I meant the width of the wheel not the size of the side wall.

I meant is there a general rule like "for a 205 tire you should run at least a 6 inch wide rim."

thanks
Old May 11th 2005, 08:25

When I was going through the glitch stage of my brakes/suspension/wheels/tires phase, I investigated this very same thing. I wish I had the little booklet because it was full of tire/wheel info but I do remember the 205/55-16 could be installed on 5½-7½-inch rims.

Lack of experience and know-how aside, that seems like quite a range for just one tire. This in turn intuitively suggests (to me at least) one might want to keep from the extreme ends of that spectrum -- especially given the differing construction of different tires from different manufacturers even though one is considering only one size.
Old May 12th 2005, 00:11

Working with tires, I have seen some pretty crazy tire stretching. I run 205/40/17's on 7.5" rims and like the look, the side wall is even with the lip of my rims. I think the most common size for euro lookers is 205, some use 215's. I think it is a personal preference as to what size tire you want to run on what size rim, so put em on and see how they look
Old May 12th 2005, 01:30

thanks guys
Old May 12th 2005, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMNLK
Working with tires, I have seen some pretty crazy tire stretching. I run 205/40/17's on 7.5" rims and like the look, the side wall is even with the lip of my rims. I think the most common size for euro lookers is 205, some use 215's. I think it is a personal preference as to what size tire you want to run on what size rim, so put em on and see how they look
I really like the look and had been looking around for your specs is this all correct?

17x7.5 et 52
15mm spacer
dropped spindles so +.5" each side
4" narrowed beam
stock fenders

oh yea I've been meaning to ask you what brakes are you running up front? any thing to add to the offset?

Also hows the steering? is it far from stock? Cause I've been working on a file and well without the brakes factored in my calculations say your turning circle changed from 18.0 ft (stock) to about 20.8 ft. About 13%. does this seem about right?

Thanks
rip
Old May 18th 2005, 00:46

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip
I really like the look and had been looking around for your specs is this all correct?

17x7.5 et 52
15mm spacer
dropped spindles so +.5" each side
4" narrowed beam
stock fenders

oh yea I've been meaning to ask you what brakes are you running up front? any thing to add to the offset?

Also hows the steering? is it far from stock? Cause I've been working on a file and well without the brakes factored in my calculations say your turning circle changed from 18.0 ft (stock) to about 20.8 ft. About 13%. does this seem about right?

Thanks
rip
All of the specs. are correct.
My turning radius sucks for parallel parking, but is fine for turning corners.
Like I've said before, there is some rubbing on the inside of the fender lip, but at low speeds only, and usually with a full tank of gas or a passenger.
I could have gone with no front spacer, but that would eliminate even more turning radius. Overall I'd say the turning is not far from stock, I have no complaints, afterall, the rims were not made for a '58 beetle
Almost forgot, running CB dropped spindle discs.

Last edited by GRMNLK; May 18th 2005 at 00:52.