GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 16th 2005, 11:07

Wheels spacers....does it matter?

About to order some wheels spacers. I'm going to order 6mm wheels spacers for the front and 10mm wheels spacers for the back.

See this thread as to why those lengths

Now, the thing I'm curious about is wheel studs. With those width spacers, can I use these:

6mm ones

The kinds that are just discs with holes in them? Those are actually the size I need for the front, lol. They don't look wide at all....

Are they too wide on stock Porsche Studs to use? For the people in the US, the conversion for 6mm is just under 1/4 an inch and 10mm is just over 3/8 an inch. Or will I have to use this kind:

I don't even see how those work....

I would like to hear that I could use number one with stock studs seeing as how those are WAAAAAAAAYYYY cheaper than the second kind, which I don't see how they work. I can obviously see how they push out your wheel, but I don't see how you would secure your wheel without longer studs, and if you got longer studs, why not just use the 1st option??? I'm probably over analyzing everything...it's probably so much simpler....it's my curse, lol.
Old July 17th 2005, 19:26

really it depends on you,

It depends if your hubs and rims are both hubcentric, this mean the hub center boss locates the wheel.

Now there is a second, more common way to locate the wheel onto the hub, it's call lug centric. This means that the wheel centers itself about the lug nuts.

Also realize that there are rims and wheel that are both.

Also know that some people swear that if your car is hub centric and you don't use hubcentric stuff (spacers, hub rings, wheel) that you'll get virbrations at faster speeds. Some say that you won't.

So the second type of spacer you shown are hub centric thus really only work if your hubs are also hub centric. With a spacer like the first one you rely solely on the lug nuts to center the wheel.

Now if I remember right porsche have cup styled lug nuts and a hubcentric ring to center the wheel. So it depends on how picky you are.

I myself, figured that the OEM engineered it for a reason thus, kept the hubcentric stuff.
Old July 17th 2005, 19:28

oh and as far as how the second, hubcentric spacers work well you put together the front hub, rotor, then you bolt the spacer to it, using small lug nuts. now you bolt the wheel to the spacer, using the spacers studs.
Old July 17th 2005, 19:53

Oh ok.....I see. That's kinda a hassle....I think I'll go with option #1

Well, I think Lanner's Billet hubs will center my wheel. Besides that, I'de think lug nuts will center my wheel. And as far as high speeds, I don't really care about that as I don't think my car will ever see over 100mph....even after my motorswap. If it does, it'll be for short stints, and only going in a straight line.

Hmm, you think those cheaper 1st ones, even at 1/4 inch(10mm) takes up too much of the threads on the stud? I'm really getting in over my head to begin with, all I need is another $500 worth of metal whose only purpose is to put the wheel out 1/4 inch....hahaha. I'm not a baller like that
Old July 17th 2005, 23:43

I have used the second style H/R spacers on the rear and front. They are not hub centric to the brakes but the wheels are hub centric to the spacers...I have not had any vibration problems at freeway speeds, 65-70 mph. Also I've used 16 x 7 fuchs on the rear of my cb rear discs, they are also not hub centered and I've not had any vibes.
Old July 18th 2005, 02:55

I too have hubcentric spacers on CB performance front and rear discs - using Cup 3 replicas.

Here are the backs (35mm):

..and the fronts (20mm):

I have experienced no vibrations when pushing the car in and out of the garage during restoration whatsoever

Hopefully I won't experience any when the car is actually running
Old July 18th 2005, 12:49

Haha....awesome on the vibrations there Dasdubber....

My widths aren't as extreme needing as your guys' are. You guys have HUGE spacers!!!!!! Mine are only 6 and 10mm respectively....mmm...I think I'll just go with the cheapies.

Looks good though...