GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 16th 2006, 12:34

DTM Shroud alternator/generator alignment?

Hey guys,I'm new on here and am wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and how it was cured?
I have a 74 super with a 2.0l type 4 and when i spin it , it likes to spit the belt.Upon further inspection it seems as if the pulleys are way out of alignment...Has anyone else experienced this?And how did you go about fixing it?
Thanks in advance
Aaron
Old July 27th 2006, 02:15

I have an Oregon Performance shround and an alternator with a brazilian pulley. The crank pulley is a type one modified to fit the type 4 crank. My car runs fine and the belt fits but it is definitly off. It looks like the alt. needs to be further towards the front of the car, this makes the belt twist. So far I've bought a billet pulley and shims from CB performance and the RAT billet crank pulley from Jake, soon I'll see if they help.
Old July 27th 2006, 10:01

First off, have you watched the video that came with the shroud? It thoroughly goes over belt geometry and how to set it up correctly with adjustments to the generator stand.

All TIV engines are different slightly and all shrouds are also different because each is handmade, but we do so on top of a complete TIV longblock. This way we know that all shrouds are correctly set up when they leave the facility. I have worked to standardize the DTM since I bought the rights to it in 2003, prior to this the late Joe Locicero made each shroud by hand with standard parts so variances were abundant fitting wise.

Due to variances with the shroud and the engine case it may be necessary to shim the lower pulley to attain proper geometry.

Note that the alternator pulley used has an impact on this set up as well as the position of the generator stand and even the generator/alternator chosen.

Did the shroud come from me or was it an Oregion Performance kit? Note that last year there were some "Fake" DTMs floating around being sold as Oregon Performance kits! These were junk and I certainly hope you didn't buy one of these...
Old August 2nd 2006, 01:29

Thanks for the reply's guys ,the shroud I have came with the car ,there was no video included..The kit seems to be an Oregon performance kit wit hand drawn instructions and was bought in 91.I have shimmed the pulley out and it will now spin and not spit the belt. I have encountered a new problem...
After finding out that the intakes weren't sealing properly ,(and gaskets are a bitch to find) the shroud isn't allowing the intakes to seat properly.the carbs are hitting the shroud where they mount to the intakes. I have opened up the shroud above the intake ports but am not sure how to go about clearancing the shroud (For the carbs)at this point... I will take some pics tomorrow to help explain this. I'm running 40mm IDF's on empi manifolds.
If anyone has a source for three stud Porsche gaskets I could use that as well....
Thanks for any and all help
Aaron