GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 26th 2002, 10:13

T4 or Upgrade 1600DP for now?

Am I ready for a Type IV? My GL project is underway on three fronts: the chassis/suspension, the motor and the body. Having read through many of the threads here I am now beginning to wonder whether or not I should just go a head with the T4 now as opposed to just uprating the current 1600DP. Where do I begin to look for information (including $s) for a T4? Is a T4 easy to mount to the original gearbox? (Yes, I am contemplating putting in a Porsche 5-speed now that the body is off. I have yet to figure out the costs for this and whether or not I can afford it now.) If the budget is too tight for both a gearbox and a T4 I may just upgrade the 1600 now. I can always put that one in my ‘67 once I have a T4 up and running.

Not knowing much (anything) about motors this is what I have come up with as for as a safe (inexpensive?) upgrading of the 1600DP. I am simply thinking off a Bosch 009 distributor with a Pertronix kit to convert it to pointless electronic ignition. A Bosch high energy Blue Coil with silicone plug leads (on Bosch W6AC or W7AC plugs. (I have heard mixed reviews on the Pertronix kit.) I am mulling over the idea of uprating to 90.5 piston/cyl, adding high ratio rocker arms 1.25:1 and polishing the heads. I am uncertain as to whether or not I should go with a progressive 2 barrel carb or a pair of small single-choke carburetors such as the 40mm Solex-Kadron, or Weber 34ICTs. Because I require interior heat (Canada’s “Wetcoast”) I will install “performance” heater boxes and attach an extractor system with a turbo muffler. I am also thinking that now would be a good time to replace the oil cooler. Does this sound like a good way to go for a modest increase in performance? Would anyone be able to hazard a guess as to the cost comparison between this upgrade and purchasing a T4? Thanks ...

Jeannot