GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old August 18th 2019, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Wally dry sump tank on this engine would you recommend it's use on a t4 or waterboxer engine.
Old August 18th 2019, 13:12

I dunno, it seems oddly shaped and I think its crazy expensive if you had to buy a used one. Why would you even want to consider that? Strange question?

Anyways, trying to find the correct starter motor for this combo, so I can test compression, is a test of patience..I bought a wromg one, hopefully coming week I have the correct one here. Fortunately the chinese electrical parts are cheap and usually work just fine (1303 has one too and that one works awesome!).

In the meantime, the 'project creep' has gotten to the front brakes
Did make sense to up that area a bit more, so the CB alu wheel bearing houses with 5x130 studs and disk/calipers are for sale now.

This was a lot more work: epytec wheel - 944 outer, type 1 inner - bearing housings, boxster calipers and cayman 299x20mm disks, plus adapters from Lanner:
Old August 24th 2019, 20:18

Thumbs up

So you purchased the Epytec hub and bracket kit? How well made were they?

Are you using their bracket, or are you using something you fabbed up?
Old August 25th 2019, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORIGTT View Post
So you purchased the Epytec hub and bracket kit? How well made were they?

Are you using their bracket, or are you using something you fabbed up?
Just the hub; Lanner made me a custom bracket for type 3 (as the steering arm on the spindle is always in the way) and my particular set of parts
Old August 28th 2019, 18:25

How would you rate the quality of the hub? Will it endure your track usage and such?

It uses the standard VW spindle which means no special machining and such correct?

I'd like to get a set for my '70 Ghia, but I've got 944T brake calipers.
Old August 29th 2019, 05:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORIGTT View Post
How would you rate the quality of the hub? Will it endure your track usage and such?

It uses the standard VW spindle which means no special machining and such correct?

I'd like to get a set for my '70 Ghia, but I've got 944T brake calipers.
Its extremely good quality! Very good alu, machined very nicely! I am sure it will stand anything you throw at it. I won't track the notch in the future though, but I am sure it would be fine with these hubs.

Yep, fits standard VW type 1 wheel bearings.

However, its meant for stock 944 front disk and everything else will be custom. This is of course trivial info, but just realise this.
Only thing that didn't work for me with these hubs is the hole for the Porsche studs: its too small for my taste; its like 14,2 mm, while the studs have ribbed splines with 14,7 or 14,8mm outer size. They fit too tight then, so I drilled the holes to 14,5mm and now the interference fit is much better and they press in easier, still quit some force is needed, but as the material they used is superstrong, the interference fit can (needs) to be a little less extreme (which it was originally).

Other then that, you also need a special seal on the inside (not in the kit) as the VW part doesn't fit and you will also need the stock 944 hubcaps and your left one with the speedo opening.

So, very high quality, but its no buy and run it same day thing. It never is though when using Porsche brakes is my experience ;-)
Old August 30th 2019, 00:12

This is perhaps a silly question, Wally, but do you know of any other hub that takes stock T1 wheel bearings and also a 944 rotor? I looked these up but didn't quite understand what I was looking at(though admittedly, I didn't spend much time looking at them).

I'd really like to find a way to use my set of Porsche 924 spindles, which use both the 15mm 1303 balljoint and T1 wheel bearings.

H2OSB

Last edited by H2OSB; August 30th 2019 at 00:20.
Old August 30th 2019, 15:33

Well, there is no other aftermarket company doing s/th like that, but CB does make a nice set of alu hubs in 5x130 pattern and I happen to have a set 4sale at half cost of new and only 150km or so

Since I needed something that looked even more capable with the intended 6cyl mod (Inspection wise), these are for sale, but the intention originally was to use a porsche disk with these. Ask Lanner for details if you will.
250 euros complete with calipers, 200 for just the set of new alu hubs with studs, new bearings and perforated disks.
Just FYI of course
Old August 31st 2019, 18:48

Did you already mod the CB hubs to take Porsche rotors?