GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old November 18th 2005, 04:55

So I like these wheels....

These would be going on a 2" narrowed beam 2.5 CB Drop spindled and a short/short swing axle trans 66 bug.

Will they fit?

WHEEL BRAND BSA
WHEEL MODEL 291
WHEEL SIZE 18 X 7.5 ET40
WHEEL FINISH FULL SILVER
BOLT PATTERN 4X100
TIRE SIZE INCLUDED IN PACKAGE 215/35R18
Old November 21st 2005, 19:02

Anyone??? 51 reads no comments?
Old November 21st 2005, 20:32

I'm headed the same direction, tuner wheels as opposed to P car wheels. There is a lot more choices in styles and sized. If you like them then get them cause thats all that matters. Maybe try photoshopping it onto your car and get a idea how it will look.
Old November 22nd 2005, 01:09

The price is right on those wheels, they are 18" and come with tires for $799 shipped.

What I am asking is, what do I have to do to my car to get them to fit? I plan on using wider fenders, but is the offset going to work without have a 3" spacer?

I currently have some 16X6 and 16X7 Porsche wheels, and already have fitment problems with the rears hitting one of the spring plate bolts, and they are sticking out past the fenders...

So before I plop down $800 I want to know what else I am going to have to do to make these wheels fit my car, or should I just keep looking?
Old November 22nd 2005, 04:47

What brakes do you have? If the 4x100 wheel is meant for a modern VW with similar bolt pattern (like an A3 platform), it will have a 57.1mm hub hole. Make sure your center hub will work or you will have some machining to do.

I can't answer what else may be required. One thing is for sure ... your turning radius will be greatly reduced.
Old November 23rd 2005, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
What brakes do you have? If the 4x100 wheel is meant for a modern VW with similar bolt pattern (like an A3 platform), it will have a 57.1mm hub hole. Make sure your center hub will work or you will have some machining to do.

I can't answer what else may be required. One thing is for sure ... your turning radius will be greatly reduced.
Right now I have Wide 5 drum on the front and rear of the car. I was planning on purchasing a full set if disks with the 4X100 pattern already drilled.

I already have a 2" narrowed beam.

My question is: With the ET40 offset, will I have to use spacers to get these to work???
Old November 24th 2005, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwebster
With the ET40 offset, will I have to use spacers to get these to work?
I'm not getting smart with you but what difference does it make? (If I knew the answer, I would tell you. I just don't have a standard Beetle to know or take a good guess.)

Seriously, back to my question ... if you like the wheels and you are already set to get the brakes with the new pattern, why not get the brakes installed and the wheels on and see first hand what spacers you will need, if any? H&R makes quality spacers in hubcentric and non-hubcentric designs, and in multiple widths in that bolt pattern.

If you are afraid the wheels with spacers will extend past the fender too far, why not do some quick measuring and calculating? Many disk brake set-ups do not add width by themselves. (Find this out to be certain.) Then, calculate how much further the wheel will go given the width and offset.

You should be able to reliably estimate how much play you have with your narrowed beam.

On the interior view, take your current wheel off and do some measuring to see if the overall diameter of wheel and tire interferes. If you estimate you need a 15mm spacer for clearance purposes, compare that with how much play you have going to out to the fenders.

In the meanwhile, someone may chime in with a personal experience of their own which you can use.

Good luck. (I do know what it's like to center decision making on a desired wheel.)
Old November 26th 2005, 23:29

Hey Scott, The ET40 if I am not mistaken is the amount of offset (in mm) from the center of the wheel to the bolt flange (edited). My guess is that your narowed beam may be too narrow or you will have to use a spacer to get the wheel back out.

Last edited by PJL54Oval; November 27th 2005 at 12:39. Reason: Bonehead thoughts!
Old November 27th 2005, 00:09

Just find out what offset works for the P car wheels and then you can compare. I suspect ET40 would be fine if you don't go too wide on the tires.

Read through the wheels and tires threads and you should find the correct ET answer.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old December 11th 2005, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwebster
I currently have some 16X6 and 16X7 Porsche wheels, and already have fitment problems with the rears hitting one of the spring plate bolts, and they are sticking out past the fenders...
Are you using 5-205 to 5-130 adapters? that should push the rims out, but I don't see how they rub on the inside? I have 16x7 fuchs with 205/55 tires and CB Performance rear discs (5-130) and have no clearance issues. What size tires are you running?

As for the 18's, 18x7.5 with a 40mm offset should fit, but I'm not sure about a 2" narrowed beam, maybe with a 3". I have 17x7.5...4" narrowed beam...CB dropped spindle discs...52mm offset, and 15mm spacers and fitment is close when lowered.
It's hard to say what will fit with custom rims until it has been done. You have to get close sizes and offsets to other rims and modify as you go. Good luck
Old December 14th 2005, 23:51

i have 17x7 et 55 on the front with 25 mm spacers 2" narrowed beam stock bj spindles and they fit , so with the cb spindles and the difference in offset there should not be a problem, you may not even need spacers
cheers
jon
zx7rr
Old January 11th 2006, 08:06

scottwebster,

Hi there guess your using a super right? then if it is then if you can purchase a Maxx strut then it will be a good start, then I guess with that off-set of the rims you'll need atlist 1 inch spacer to clear the coil springs and to have the same spacer at the rears to clear the spring plates.

I'm using a 17x7.5 with a +42 offset and a 16x7 with a +40 offset, and my suspension is a custom made stock strut with a Honda civic rear springs at front, stock disc brakes with a 1 inch adaptor that has a 4x114.3 studs, at the rear its all stock.

My ride, 1302-S with stock fenders all around.

16x7

17x7.5
Old May 11th 2006, 17:17

Looking at same wheels in 17X7 also in Houston

Scott I am looking at the same wheel in a 17X7 offset 40 on a standard setup but using adapters to go from 4X130 to 4X100. I think these will fit but am still playing with the numbers.