GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old February 20th 2004, 17:16

Question Will a porsche 901 fit with no mods to a stock type 1 engine?

I have aquired through ebay, a freshly rebuilt 901 transmission.
I have no problem with the install. However I need to know if the bolt pattern on the 901 is a direct bolt up to a type 1 engine. The Reason is I need to give the criteria to kennedy engineering for an adpater plate for my rotary conversion.
I am also getting the CV joints from this carrera, basically everything from the shifter to the wheels.
What exactly will I need to get to adapt it to my 1971 beetle pan?
Remember I will be running 200HP in this setup.
Feel free to eamil me.
ydeardorff@hotmail.com
Old February 20th 2004, 17:22
Administrator

You will need a 914 strater, and follow the tech article on the germanlook home page. I do not know what flywheel/clutch/pressure plate you will need to adapt for you application. Kennedy should be able to fix you up. The bolt pattern for the 901 is the same as the T-1. I would tell them you are putting it in a 914 just to make it simple.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 20th 2004, 17:33

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O
You will need a 914 strater, and follow the tech article on the germanlook home page. I do not know what flywheel/clutch/pressure plate you will need to adapt for you application. Kennedy should be able to fix you up. The bolt pattern for the 901 is the same as the T-1. I would tell them you are putting it in a 914 just to make it simple.
I will be getting the 901 starter with the tranny will this work?
The reccomendations so far that I have heard is to get a 6v starter and run it on 12v's as that is the only way to spin the mazda rotary engine fast enough to start it.
Old February 20th 2004, 21:26

I understand about the flywheel and clutch,..

the clutch and flywheel come with the kennedy adapter kit,...What i really need is the info on how to connect the tranny to the wheels, using apropriate parts for a 200 HP engine that will straped to the tranny. This tranny is a freshly rebuilt 901 straight out of a wrecked 1965 carrera.
any help on what to grab at the junk yard would be great!!!!!!!
you can email me at ydeardorff@hotmail.com if you want.
yaughn
Old February 27th 2004, 12:21

Since it is a 65 901 it should have the small output flanges (T1 sized but w/ 2 dowels and 4 bolts). You can run T1 inner and T2 outers.

The other option is 930 sized CVs. The bigger output flanges off the 70/71 911/01 trans slip right into the older 901.

The cost when buying chromo stub axles from ERCO in 930 size is only a little bit more than what 944/Thing stub axles cost. Lobro 930 joints are about 50 bucks each. You also need used 911/930 axle boot flanges because they must be reused with new boots. This is the route I went.

Sway A Way will not custom build axles with course and fine spline on one axle (VW/901 vw 930 CVs respectively).

SA
Old February 29th 2004, 01:21

I have the 901 tranny now in the garage, I also have the 911 complete axles
will the 911 axles go in, or do I have to make it 911 up to the vw cv's just before the stubs?
heres a picture of my tranny on the floor in my garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porswche 911 tranny.jpg (49.3 KB, 72 views)
Old March 9th 2004, 11:42

Hey Steve,

I have to question your statement about the custom SAW axles - since I was I the same dilemma. I contacted SAW and they said they "would" make custom axles, 28 spline one end and 33 spline the other. Perfect eh? The kicker was the $650 price tag! The full 930 option is also doable, and bolt-on but IMO really overkill and a bit expensive if you have to purchase all new axles/CVs/Boot kits/etc. Also those 930 CVs each weigh about a pound more than T2 CVs! I've found a 3rd route, which was described in an earlier thread but it's time to update. The latest is I'm having Precision Alloy in Washington state custom modify my trans output stubs to take T2 CV joints directly (instead of using adapters). Todd at Precision basically removes the flange portion of the stub then presses and welds on a new chromoly flange (and custom machines to whatever size you want). He does this routinely for many off road racing teams, quality and durability is top notch. I'm sending my 901 (914) stubs this week for the treatment. He does these in batches, so might be a while before he does another set.

FWIW I've got a set of 930 sized 901 output flanges I probably won't need anymore if anyone is interested.

Jeff
Old March 9th 2004, 11:51

I held up my stock type 1 CV boot covers to the output flanges on my spare 911 tranny and the bolt pattern was identical. I am wondering if I can use those flanges on my other 911 tranny (the one I will be putting in). The other 911 tranny has 4 bolt nadella flanges(I was told) I was told they are very saught after.
They dont seem as strong especially with only 4 bolts. Yeah until next year something like the 650 dollar axles are gonna have to wait. If I can get by on stock CV's and Axles for now then I will. But beefing up the durability on the axles and CV's is definately on my to do list. Especially since I'm gonna be running 10" wide rear rims, With 315 50R 15's on them.
I am going for the power and reliability of a rotary, with the strength and durability of the porsche tranny (5 spd).
The idea is to make this kit car of mine everything that a modern car is, but also given it's design,... a little more.
Old March 10th 2004, 09:25

ydeardorff,
Just remove one of the output flanges from each trans and compare. I did this last night with my spare 901/930 output stubs and 914 stubs - near exact match except for the CV flange - so they definitely directly interchange. One thing that surprised me was the bolt that holds the stub into the trans. It take a fairly large 3/4" size socket, but the bolt itself is fairly small and not super hard to remove out of the trans. I made a simple "wrench" that could be bolted to the CV flange with a couple of bolts to hold it while loosening the bolt.

I don't think there are any strength issues with the 4-bolt flanges, FWIW. The two large dowel pins that locate the CV probably provide more rotational/shear strength and (2) 8mm bolts would.

Jeff
Old March 10th 2004, 11:29

That is expensive for those dual spline axles! When I asked back in 2001 they wouldn't do it. More people must have inquired since then, or they threw out the 650$ number to scare us away!

That bolt holding the CV flange on is small, but high grade. All it is doing is holding the splines together, so there are no forces on the bolt to worry about. I thread two bolts into the flange and insert a pry bar, then untorque/torque teh bolt.

I would have gone with T2 sized flanges like you are having made if they were available back when I bought all my parts. I got the four new Lobro CVs for less than 200 bucks so I went that way. All I need are stub axles and SAW axles to complete mysetup. Cash is tight being unemployed!

Steve
Old March 10th 2004, 12:03

Hi,

What do plan to do to the T1 flywheel, the ring gear spacing for a porsche and a VW are different. I beleive you will need to use a 356 flywheel for a T1 or a 914 flywheel for a T4 engine. Also, I noticed that the porsche input spline isnt as long as the VW input spline.

Bry
Old March 10th 2004, 12:33

Agreed about the axle costs Steve - certainly scared me away!

Costwise, there isn't a whole lot of cost difference between T2 and 930 for the CVs themselves - it's the 930 boot prices that blow you out of the water. Plus the 930 spline axles are a bit higher too (for new axles) - it all adds up pretty quickly.

Jeff