GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old February 23rd 2003, 15:32

Hi Walter,

So you found youre flanges, and complete with a gearbox! Congrats!

Cheers,

Richard
Old February 23rd 2003, 16:27

Thanks Richard,
Chigger, all I know is that this is a type 915/40 trans and that is is used on 2,7 ltr models, from 165, 175 to 210 hp, model year around 1976. I'am almost certain that there will also be boxes with the same type and from the same year that will have the 'wrong' flanges.
I haven't been able to identify the years that have the 100 mm flanges or the 110 mm flanges. Just keep your eyes open I guess.
Good luck,
Walter
Old February 24th 2003, 00:03

There doesn't seem to be much consistancy when it comes to drive flanges on Porsche trans'.

I have a 902 5 speed from a '69 912 (not a high HP car) that has the large (110mm?) 930 size flanges, I have a 914 5 speed with the small type 1 size flanges (as expected), I have a set of what I think are mid-late 70s 911 flanges that are 930 size but are NOT the same as my 912 flanges!

The 914 and 911 flanges on my bench are shorter by about 1/4" than my 912 flanges, the seal area on the 911 and 914 flanges are different lengths but the seal rides in the same place. If I were to install the 911 or 914 flanges in my 912 trans, the drive splines would not be fully engaged and may strip when I dumped the clutch.

I keep hoping to find some 100mm (944/type 2 size) flanges, I guess I'll keep looking. Who knows how many sets I may end up with!!

ken
Old February 24th 2003, 04:41

I have a 915 froma 911SC, the mid year version with electronic speedo but not the external oil cooler. It came with type 2 sized CVs...
Makes the whoel Porsche rear end conversion much easier!
Rich
Old February 25th 2003, 20:47
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

hey rich, while KIT was @ my shop the other day checking out my new 915 install we had a long disscusion about hydro clutch in rhd we came up with a possible solution. where the cable conects to in the tunnel why not make some sort of arm and rod attachment that would take it out into the frame head where you could mount a cylinder we think this would work and sorts out the rhd problem with hydro clutch, hope this helps regards Lee L.A.P
Old February 26th 2003, 04:34

Cheers for the suggestion Lee, but I have my radiator up front so no room. Somebody mentioned that they had seen a car in Ireland that has this solution so it can be done...

I'm trying to find out how Russ Fellows has his done as looking at a pic on Paul Cooper's site he now runs a hydraulic set-up.

Rich
Old February 26th 2003, 12:38

Quote:
Originally posted by ricola
I saw some pics on One on One's site of a cab with a new box welded in and the brake m/c was moved over but doing that much work with the body on the pan is too much work with no acccess to plasma cutters etc etc.

Rich
PS Look forward to seeing your new build up!

Hey, thats my cab

Hydraulic clutch & 944 m/c & servo

project in progress
Old February 26th 2003, 15:14
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

rich i understand but your rad is not that close to the bulk head is it ? think you might have got the wrong end of the stick. the clutch cylinder is very small it would be in the same position but on the left hand side as you brake master cylinder hope this helps regards Lee L.A.P
Old February 27th 2003, 05:03

Thinking about it I may be able to squeeze an m/c onto the front of the framehead, clearance would be very tight with the radiator though, there really is very little space with the fans etc etc. Would be a nightmare tuning the pushrod length!

Lee, did you mean having the clutch master in the position of a LHD brake master? Not sure how you would get a rod from the clutch pedal across like that without having a bent rod. I will be very tight for room everywhere soon once my wishbone suspension/steering rack and cooling pipes are all mounted...

Rich
Old March 7th 2003, 17:26

I don't know which side of the pond your on but over here lotsa my customers are coming in with hydraulic throw out bearings that expand to disengage the clutch. I haven't looked for them so I really don't know where to buy them yet. Most of these customers are racing sprint cars with american V6s and V8s but I see no reason one couldn't be adapted. They require drilling a hole in the bellhousing for the line that feeds it. Its a slave cylinder and throw out bearing all in one. They are being used by ford and chevy in P/Us and passenger cars. I know the Cavilier we had used one. just install it and don't pull the plastic clips as they are made to break apart after the system is bled and used.
Old March 10th 2003, 04:43

The 915 is a pull type clutch, as far as I am aware there isn't a variant of this type of bearing that would work. Besides, ti si easy to fabricate a linkage below the trans with a regular slave cylinder...

Rich
Old June 4th 2003, 10:37

915 front clearence

In order to make room at the nose cone side of the trans, I probably have to cut out some piece of the central torsion housing where the torsion bars are fitted in their splines...
Would it be possible to use the shorter torsion bars of the swing axle models and relocate both the pick-up points outward, thus creating room for the 915 nose cone and retaining the torsion bar set-up?
Anybody thought of this before? or done this?
Thanks,
Walter
Old June 5th 2003, 03:31

You are right, I have heard of this being successfully done before, but never seen it...

Rich