GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old December 21st 2007, 15:29

Think its time for my yearly update LoL progress has been a little slow seem to be doing more to my daily drivers than my big projects but heres a few new pics i have made some progress abit slower than i would like tho. My new 17mm ball joints came today early crimbo present for myself.

Fabricated the front mount for the 915.

And the rear this picks up on the subaru engine mountings so the engine and box are mounted as one unit rather than the engine hanging off the gearbox.

Dropped the body back on more cutting.

New ball joints. until next time keep it real guys.

Last edited by wrxJim; December 21st 2007 at 16:04.
Old December 22nd 2007, 12:41

Looks like you are making progress. Got any more pics of the front of the trans area? I'm going to be using a shortnose G50 so up until I cut I want to see as many different ways of doing it as possible!
Rich
Old December 23rd 2007, 05:11

i second that notion
Old December 23rd 2007, 08:15

Heres some from before i made the front mount ive removed the centre of the torsion bar so i could raise the whole lot up still very much a work in progress though. Naturally i will be fully bracing the area around the torsion bar.

Hope these are some help i will take some more later today. Have you done anymore to your cab yet ricola?
Old December 23rd 2007, 08:49

Unfortunately I have rust repair to get into before the fun reconstruction stuff, I've been mostly collecting parts recently rather than making real progress. I may even end up making new framehorns as looking at Steve C's car there isn't much left after clearancing for a G50!

Look forward to more of your pics..
Do you know how much you have raised it up/moved it forwards? Does it still clear the bodywork?

Rich
Old December 24th 2007, 06:13

Again I second that notion
I just bought a 915 and am planning to install it into my 1302 im going to mate it to a jdm 98 sti engine im also currently researching rear-coilovers so my car will be very similar to what your doing. so any pictures would be much appreciated. -John
Old December 24th 2007, 07:59

Hi

Nice work Jim. Rich a friend is doing a 930 box into a 1303 pan, he cut his frame horns off and moved them out. I will try to get some pictures, he's not a net type of guy.

Steve

Last edited by Steve C; December 24th 2007 at 08:09. Reason: Can't spell
Old December 24th 2007, 11:41

Thanks for your interest and comments guys. All in all i have raised the engine and box 2.5 inches and moved it forward 1.5 inches to keep the driveshafts tru. the cam wheels have come outside the body work but the sump and exhaust are no longer dangerously close to the floor, which was the plan as in gonna run this car low. I will be making a subframe in the rear end which will help with strength but also provide mountings for the coilovers and the rear end bodywork. heres some more pics of how the box sits in the bodywork. Gotta love that rust repair rich ive cut out half the work i did to get my shell solid LOL.

Old December 25th 2007, 06:33

what do you mean by the cam wheels have come outside the body work? and also do you have any other pictures of the rear tranny brace you fabbed maybe of it off the car? I'm very interested on any progress you make looks like a nice build. good luck. -John
Old January 18th 2008, 17:45

Got cracking on the rack conversion yesterday started taking some step by step photos didn't think i would need to cut so much out but least its in there just got to plate up the chassis now and mount the rack on the body.

mccarthy500. I will need to clearance the wings because the engine is higer up than usual the cam belt pulleys will be outside of the bodywork. When i remove the rear mounting for more bracing i will take some more detailed pictures for you. Thanks for the postitive feed back.
Old January 19th 2008, 02:18

Sub

Hi, if I remember correctly, someone said in order to mod a rack; there was only some dimpling of the spare tire area? From What I see that a whole lot more than dimpling the spre trie area. I plan on doing the same, but I really have reservations about cutting the center section? Anyone have a different method? Or is this the only way, if someone choose to mod for rack and pinion.
Old January 19th 2008, 02:33

Hello effvee

you should look to your car, depending on the model there is chance that this "cutting" is already there to your pan..actually I couldn't help myself find out how do you seperate the models with the cut from the models without cut, eg. my car (1303) was older than my friends car -we saw the vin numbers- and was ready with the cutting from the factory, so nothing to do, and my friends which was newer -still 1303- (and was more normal to have the cutting as it was closer to the models with r&p) hadn't had and we had to cut and fabricate what you saw, that fact didn't made any sense to me so I think that the only way is to see with your eyes if there is the cutting or not

Hope it helps

Friendly

Dimitrios
Old January 19th 2008, 11:14

did vw change to the clearanced cassis for the steering rack,when they changed to two bolt struts? the mounting for the track control arms was altered then as well. i have an early 1303 which was three bolt strut and i had to mod the cassis as well when i went to steering rack
Old February 2nd 2008, 05:46

Just a quick update i now have the car on 4 wheels steering and front suspension is how i want it to be going to turn my attention to the rear now.

Old February 29th 2008, 04:34

what axles are you using?