GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old May 14th 2006, 20:01

A couple questions about a 993 Brake conversion

I need some info on how to mount 993 calipers and rotors on the rear of a 1969 standard bettle irs set up. What machining is required, can vdubengineering do it, how much does it cost, what parts do i need to buy,

already have the front mounts figured out ( i'm going to go through vdubengineering for that onces all the parts arrive)
also what should I do for a master cylinder setup?

Thanks guys
Old May 14th 2006, 22:03

Have you tried a search in the brakes section? This has been covered quite a few times on here.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old May 16th 2006, 00:33

Cool

i've been going through pages and pages but nothing on how to set up the 993 rear brake set up...
Old May 16th 2006, 01:18

I'm going a 993 front and rear set up also and I'm also going to have Lanner machine the fronts too.

For the rear I'm going with 944 n/a hubs, the mounting plates for the calipers, and the ebrake hardware. If you put the 944 rear hub, 993 caliper and the 993 disk it will all work together. You will need some small spacers made (about 3mm) to center the caliper on the disk.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old May 16th 2006, 04:19

okay awesome,

see i have info on doing a 944 upgrade but not the 993, so pretty much same as a 944 but you use 3 mm spacers correct?
Old May 16th 2006, 15:34

Straight from VdubEngineering's site...

Quote:
Incidentally, you can also use 993 rear brakes on the same early (85.5 and earlier) backing plate/caliper mount. The caliper will require a shim of about 3mm to centre it over the rotor.
Yes. If you use the 993 Rear calipers and rotors. You'll need the 3mm spacer.
Old May 16th 2006, 18:33

Just out of curiosity, could you run the 944 N/A rotor and straight bolt up the 993 caliper to it?

... Might be a stupid question, but might avoid needing the spacer?
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 16th 2006, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow
Just out of curiosity, could you run the 944 N/A rotor and straight bolt up the 993 caliper to it?

... Might be a stupid question, but might avoid needing the spacer?
The 993 rear calipers are 290mm x 24mm.

As quoted from Vdubengineering's site, "Early NA (83-85). ...with a ventilated disk (290mmx20.4mm)."
"Early turbo's ( 85.5? and 86) ...the rotor is ventilated and measures 299mmx24mm."

Here are some numbers for you. The early 944 n/a's are too narrow. and the turbo's are too tall. I found the measurement for the 993's in another post.

There are never stupid questions. I'm glad to help where I can, it's a good question. Took me about 5-10 minutes and a little site searching to find the numbers. I didn't know till you asked.

SoCalGL, I didn't even catch the first time you asked about a master cylinder. Personaly, I was going to try a stock master cylinder, then go from there.
Old May 17th 2006, 00:03

see my plan is to run 993's on all four corners, my first idea was to run 993 turbo's but I felt I would be over doing it immensely also this is somewhat of a budget project with an average of 3 to 500 hundred every two weeks and I still have alot to do and 800 dollar calipers just seem ridiculous. Anyways when finding Sandeep's tech article on 993 turbo conversion I e-mailed him asking about his brake set up and he told me he runs a dual m/c set up with a bias bar made by tilton brakes so I was wondering if such an exstensive system would still be nessacary.
Old May 17th 2006, 21:58

Good info Mikey! I was just trying to think out of the box
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 17th 2006, 23:06

That's cool Pillow, I didn't think of it till you asked.

Here's a quote by lanner I found on another thread, I think it should be tied to this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat
I'm a little late in this conversation, but...

All 944T rear calipers are the same. The 993 rears are alittle prettier (smooth font), but they are the same as far as piston sizes and mounting ears etc..

Chris, try getting your hands on a boxster frontrotor, and then use that caliper you have in the front. I was mocking up up a similar setup, and I think it would work very well. On paper, it's about 12% more brake torque that a karmann ghia setup, with only 5% or so more fluid requirement. So it would work well with the stock master cylinder. Since the P-car caliper is stiffer than vw parts, the increase in brake performance will probably be more than what the numers show (ie 12%). And ofcourse you have a vented rotor with greater heat capacity and dissapation. Also, since it's a 24mm rotor, you save alot of weigh when compared to a 28mm setup...personally I think most that for most guys, the big-brake setups with 28mm and thicker rotors on a bug are a waste...they weigh a ton. (opps..there goes my business out the door......)

Lanner

Easy,
Lanner
Old May 17th 2006, 23:58

hello so cal gl i have 996 c4 calipers on all 4 corners , a similair setup to you i used all the 996 disks but made some 5mm spacers for the back and mounted them on na944 steel arms ,go to ricola,s site he has a very good write up on the conversion , on the front i turned down a beetle front hub as a disk carrier it works very well and is the correct offset for the radial mount bracket , as for mc i use a standard 2 circuit beetle mc ,with the big brakes it took several attempts to get all the air out over a couple of weeks but the pedal is now very hard and works very well , if you go the porsche mc route this is only required if you want to alter the bias front to back , it is recommended to put the 19 on the front still and 23mm on the back
hope this helps
cheers jon
zx7rr
Old May 19th 2006, 06:16

One thing to note is that when fitting the 993 rotor to the early 944NA hubs you will widen the track by 5mm each side because of the spacer, as Speedy says..

Rich
Old May 27th 2006, 20:27

On Another note

so i have the caliper shimming down but what about the e brake assembly...
I know Lanner makes a kit to format the porsche e brake to vw but I was wondering if anyone had an install article or it so i can get a better Idea on the whole process .. i've searched googled for porsche brake set up diagrams and all I came up with was a " how to change your brakes " by pelican tech articles..

also what do u mean by " widen the track"
Old May 27th 2006, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola
One thing to note is that when fitting the 993 rotor to the early 944NA hubs you will widen the track by 5mm each side because of the spacer, as Speedy says..

Rich
Kinda confused, you don't move the rotor. Which I believe is what you're saying. The idea is to move the caliper in, not the rotor out.

Also, from drums to 944NA hubs is about 1" differance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGL
so i have the caliper shimming down but what about the e brake assembly...
I know Lanner makes a kit to format the porsche e brake to vw but I was wondering if anyone had an install article or it so i can get a better Idea on the whole process .. i've searched googled for porsche brake set up diagrams and all I came up with was a " how to change your brakes " by pelican tech articles..

also what do u mean by " widen the track"
I havn't installed my ebrakes yet. From what I saw ebrake shoes are expensive, so they'll wait till later.

When you widen the track, you move the wheel out away from the vehical.

Last edited by Mikey; May 27th 2006 at 23:49.