GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old September 25th 2006, 01:26

Transmission Questions

Ok, I signed up a looooooong time ago. Things have changed a bit since I last visited. I am turning my KGhia into an Autocross and my primary focus right now is suspension work, but Im not here to ask about that.

My trans problem is this... I am going to build a 2332ccT engine for the ghia one day. As for now my not to distant plans are to get a better tranny as the stock box sucks and will most likely crumble. Enter mysterious 914 thats in my home town begging to be swiped up for its transmission. I have yet to find out if its tail or side shift but Im hoping that its tail and was hoping this would be able to stand up to my 275 whp goal (no more than that ) But I was wondering if you could clear some questions as to trans codes (901, 910, 915, and I guess a 914{trans from a 914}) and their capeabilities and what they came in (911, 912, 914?) and what they can hold under lots of torque and hp from a turboed 2332 engine. I know the swap shouldnt be tooo difficult for a 914 swap but I want to make sure it will be worth my time. I dont plan to drag the car a whole lot, maybe every once in a while, but I know about the whole needing a new clutch. Ive read these boards a good bunch but I was hoping to solidify a lot of my research in this one post. My RPM range will be to 7 grand and no more but the car will be primaraly set up for auto cross along with some carbon fiber goodies
thanks for any help that you guys can give me.