GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old April 16th 2011, 10:19

Interesting Thread! The vw bug has a Cd value of 0,48.A teardrop has 0,05 and an average aircraft wing profile has 0,08.The funny thing is a T2 vw bus has a cd value of 0,44 eventhough it has a larger surface area up front,it is much longer than the bug,which gives it an overall better value.
The bugīs aerodynamics are greatly improved by lowering the vehicle and adding spoilers as everyone knows.However,I havenīt seen any values to compare.
Some of the Käfer Cup bugs and a few of the hillclimb bugs have slots or holes in their fenders and some run shorter rear fenders allowing more air to pass out the back.If your racing,looks arenīt as important as function so I doubt that anyone is really going to adapt that to their street car.
Old April 17th 2011, 04:47

I didn't realise a bus has a better cd

However cd is ratio thing so a brick has a cd of 1 regardless if it is the size of a Lego block or the size of a house. You multiply the cd and the frontal area to get the drag figure.
Old April 17th 2011, 15:18

Rear Spoiler

Why don't you get one of these and make a mould of just the part you want.
It tucks under the window rubber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beetle Rear Spoiler.jpg (30.0 KB, 37 views)
Old April 17th 2011, 20:08

I have one of those. I don't think it would help aerodynamically. Do you have a picture of the part that it mounts onto? (the part that actually tucks under the rubber). I'm missing that and it would be nice to see what it looked like
Old April 19th 2011, 01:13

I think everyone's seen my aero by now, hard to miss...

Large vents in the front fenders seem to help a bit but I won't know for sure until I take it to a race track. The rear wing is almost necessary above 120, and can be felt as low as 50-60mph. I've also trimmed up the rear fenders to help them air out a bit as well. Currently I'm working on front aero which is not present and the bug understeers as a result. With the airdam and splitter in place the balance should be a lot better and I'll be able to dial in the rear wing properly.

For street use something above the rear window is best. A small strip like carbon joe did but a little bit taller, 2.5"-3" from drip rail to drip rail, would be ideal. Vents in the top of the front fenders might work for the street but I don't think they will be as effective, however they won't ruin the paint on your rear fenders.
Old April 19th 2011, 03:50

A 1302 and 1303 seem to have a different characteristic than an older (pre -67)1200 bug.I rode with Armin Klein in his bug on the Autobahn here in Germany.We were doing 257Km/h (160mph) passing a Porsche Boxster S at full speed.He uses an inductive type digital speedometer.Even it may be 10Km/h off thatīs still pretty quick.I didnīt notice any lifting or instability whatsoever.He has no spoilers whatsoever.He has a Remmele Uni-ball set up in the rear,the front is a standard lowered front beam.Itīs a daily driver that he races regularly.Here are some vids of the car while racing.

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6952465/...zburgring_2009 - open track day training in Salzburg

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6952429/...g_Classic_2009 - race in Salzburg

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5607224/...e_Leipzig_2008 - Porsche track day in Leipzig

www.turboboxer.de
Old April 20th 2011, 04:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
Hi Gerrelt,

It sounds as though its well proven then.
Please let me know when they become available either here or on my e-mail address - clive.williams@bwdltd.com

Many thanks

Clive
And me. here is fine or a pm perhaps could combine on the international shipping?
Old April 20th 2011, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellex View Post
I have one of those. I don't think it would help aerodynamically. Do you have a picture of the part that it mounts onto? (the part that actually tucks under the rubber). I'm missing that and it would be nice to see what it looked like
Sorry haven't got the spoiler anymore, otherwise I would have taken some more photos for you.
I remember it being small pieces of z shaped metal with a hole drilled in it, then a plastic screw, screwed through the spoiler into the metal hanger, which was wedged under the rear window rubber seal... clear as mud I know
Old April 20th 2011, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
Hi Gerrelt,

It sounds as though its well proven then.
Please let me know when they become available either here or on my e-mail address - clive.williams@bwdltd.com

Many thanks

Clive
And me
Here is ok or pm me
Am also interested in combined international shipping?
Old April 20th 2011, 13:02

I just put you guys on a list, once I finished a couple and know the price, I will inform you.
Old April 20th 2011, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircured View Post
I remember it being small pieces of z shaped metal with a hole drilled in it, then a plastic screw, screwed through the spoiler into the metal hanger, which was wedged under the rear window rubber seal... clear as mud I know
Thanks, I think I got the picture All I seem to be missing is the z-shaped metal pieces. I think I actually have the plastic screws too.
Old April 20th 2011, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
A 1302 and 1303 seem to have a different characteristic than an older (pre -67)1200 bug.
Hi

I owned flat screen bugs for years, Ovals, 40 hp bugs, late standard bugs & 1302s. Until a few years ago I had never owned a 1303 long term.

Seat of pants stuff, but the 1303 with its round front screen does feel much more slippery than a flat screen bug.

Steve
Old April 21st 2011, 05:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

I owned flat screen bugs for years, Ovals, 40 hp bugs, late standard bugs & 1302s. Until a few years ago I had never owned a 1303 long term.

Seat of pants stuff, but the 1303 with its round front screen does feel much more slippery than a flat screen bug.

Steve
I havenīt been over 100mph in a 1303 yet,I never owned one either,so I lack the comparison. The 1303 does seem much quieter (wind noise) than the standard bugs,so there must be an aerodynamic improvement.Maybe the front of the 1303 has some disadvantage compared to the 1200 due to the round front valance? Technically the 1303 is far better than the standard bug,no question about that.
Old April 21st 2011, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Technically the 1303 is far better than the standard bug,no question about that.
Lucky you said that here and not The Samba
Old April 22nd 2011, 12:30

LOL!!! They will also tell you that the Cal-look rake is the best for aerodynamics!