GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old August 19th 2002, 20:33

How smoothly will that modified (bent) shift rod shift?

Will the modified shift rod be mis-aligned enough to cause shifting problems in the 901 conversion?

I would think that using a pair of universal joints such as those used in the steering shafts of most cars) along with a shifter bushing on each of the horizontal shafts would keep things aligned properly.

Help me understand.

Does the shifter coupling allow for high anglular misalignment but still function properly?

Thanks in advance

Kevin J Hale
Old August 21st 2002, 21:06

Any takers?

I see alot of you out there are looking at this question so come on and help me out with this.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin J Hale
Old August 23rd 2002, 12:16

The bent shift shaft pictured in my article doesn't work very well. I am rebuilding the system. Instead of having such gross height difference between the top of the tunnel and the nose of the 901, I am going to lower the shifter.

I cut the shifter plate out of a 914 car, and I am welding this to my tunnel about 1" lower than the normal curved top surface. This is going to let me shoot straight back with almost no bend, exceup a U to clear the handbrake and heater cable mounts. I am going to finish this over the winter and update the article. With a fair amount of metal work and fabrication, I think I can make it look factory.

Steve
Old August 29th 2002, 15:43

I am currently working on my shifter (when I am not fabricating my header). I am using an early 911 shifter that I have modified for a front bushing so the shift rod will be fully supported in two places (front and rear) under the shifter, then to a couple of steering type u joints and on the trans coupling. It should take care of any problems. I'm almost done with the shifter, I just need to drill the front bushing support and attach it to the shifter base plate.
ken
Old August 29th 2002, 15:47

re

I will be using the factory 911 front bushing support that bolts to the shifter baseplate. I didn't know where this support bracket bolted to when I first did the mods. Now that I have the factory bushing AND support bracket hopefully I'll be on the way. With school and work I haven't turned a wrench on the floorpan for over a year, I need a slapping. After spending 100 hours mounting the darn thing I was bummed it wouldn't shift gears. I'll fix it this year hopefully.
Steve
Old August 29th 2002, 16:49

Steve, I didn't know the 911 shifter had a front support. Mine had no provision for one so I had to fabricate one. What year is your shifter from?
ken
Old August 30th 2002, 01:39

I never had a problem on my Oval with the bent shift rod. I was running a Scat shifter which is not exactly smooth so that may have disuised it but I never had a problem selecting any gears, just avoiding reverse coming out of the 1st into 2nd.
Sam is running the same system on his 1303 now... has anyone here seen him about?
Mike Ghia

Performanceghia is still alive and kicking...
Old September 5th 2002, 10:48

The rear bolts on the base plate for the 911 shifter are where the bushing support bolts to from the bottom.
Steve
Old September 5th 2002, 16:36

Steve, My misunderstanding, I will be using that factory support/bushing also but I extended the shift rod forward of the shifter pivot and will install a second bushing in the front of the shifter to ensure the pivot stays in line. Without the front support, the U joints will alow the pivot to flop around causing problems.
ken
Old September 6th 2002, 05:27

Yup, Im about.

It shift fine, nice and smooth.

And as Mike said, the only hassle is avoiding reverse when coming out of first into second...

Cya,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old September 6th 2002, 10:33

Quote:
Originally posted by samcat
the only hassle is avoiding reverse when coming out of first into second...
Cya,
Sam C
That was my motivation for trying to use the 911 shifter. I'll have the factory spring loaded reverse lockout mechanism. It is a lot more metalwork though.
Steve
Old September 6th 2002, 10:52

Dont get me wrong, it locks out around 90% of the time, its just once in a while I can get past the gate. Going to adjust the shifter soon to try and prevent that from happening.

Cya,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.