GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Members Rides

Old October 25th 2004, 08:06

very cool. you think you have issues with ride height? my exhaust is 1.75" off the ground at the moment. can't get it out of the neighborhood until i get off my butt and tear it all down again and gain some height.

i'm diggin the bumper too. nice choice.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old October 29th 2004, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K.
The gauges are installed and looking sweet. There is a problem with the LED used for the alternator idiot light. When wired throught the LED, the alternator doesn't turn on. I'm using a stock incandescent bulb for now and will try wiring them in parrallel today. Maybe the LED needs an extra resistor in line for the regulator to fire up the field. Any insight on what the the internally regulated Bosch 75 amp alternator needs to excite the field?
The problem was that when the D+ terminal of the alternator is wired in series with the LED to +12V ignition, not enough current was supplied to the alternator to initiate the field (LED limited current). Wiring the LED in parallel with the alternator D+ wire fixed the problem.

Now if I can only get the SPA digital CHT gauge to read stable with the engine running, I'd be wired. I've narrowed it down to the thermocouple extension wire. I'll try rerouting the extension wire down the other side of the car and shortening it as much as possible. I'm also going to use capacitors to knock down some of the noise on the line.

Sandeep has got me intrigued about data aquisition. I've done some at work using National Instruments LabView and would like to try it in the car. The combo I'm thinking about is: laptop, Pico ADC-16, thermistors, hall effect speedo adapter, and some frequency to voltage converters for rpm/tach. The R&D on this car is almost done, so I'm looking for more brain candy...:idea:
Old October 30th 2004, 09:28

I spoke too soon about the alternator idiot light LED. I had the LED wired in parallell with the alternator wire through the relay I was using to troubleshoot. The relay coil provided enough resistance for the LED to light. No biggy, I'll just try adding a 100 ohm resistor in place of the relay. So it'll be wired: +12V ignition to resistor and LED +, resistor to alternator D+ and LED-.

Moving the thermocouple extensions from the left side of the car where all the other wires are to the right side and tucking the CHT probe under the shroud as far away from the spark plug wires fixed the noise problem.

So, now I only a few loose wires. Nothing I haven't lived with for years.
Old November 7th 2004, 23:53

Nice GL Bill, I want a ride in it. Anyways, I was just on a couple of rides with biker boys while i was in town this weekend (packing), and it would appear there is snow already on the sides of the road to Icehouse, which = wet and slippery. Salmon Falls Road has a lot of nice tight turns and a few good straightaway's and it's a lower elevation too. I'm going to assume Mosquito Ridge Rd is as bad as Icehouse.
I got a link to very well layed out website that describes all of the good roads in NoCal and some in SoCal. www.pashnit.com it's a motorcycle website but from my experience, if it's good for bikes it's good for cars too.
Some of my favorites are 1.Mosquito Ridge, 2. Icehouse, 3 Salmon Falls, 4 Dogbar rd, 5 only if there are no cops and light traffic-Foresthill Rd, and finally 6 is Hwy 49 from Auburn to Placerville if there is no traffic on it.
There are a lot of the twisty stuff that I have never been on so have fun searching the pashnit site. I am still searching for some good twisties near where i'm moving too in SoCal, so far it looks like a hour drive to the nearest ones .

Nick
Old November 8th 2004, 00:19

I know I'm double posting but I was thinking of some of the roads I learned how too drive on when I was a young ninja. If you go to Auburn and take HWY 49 to Grass Valley you'll run into a traffic light in the middle of nowhere. Right turn will take you straight to Dog Bar Rd (very fun road in either direction, just watch out for deer), left turn will take you to Wolf RD. If you stay on Wolf, it will eventually take you to McCourtney Rd which is the scenic route to Grass Valley. A side trip is too make a right onto Lilm Kiln Rd, nice tight sweepers and whoops too. That will pop you out onto Hwy 49. Then there is Hwy 49 past Neveda City towards Downeyville?, thats a fun road too. There is just a lot of good twisties this part of the neighborhood. Maybe that's why the straightline stuff doesn't appeal to me like the twisties do.

Nick

Last edited by Supa Ninja; November 9th 2004 at 01:24.
Old November 8th 2004, 19:00

Nick, thanks for the details. That list will keep me busy next spring when it thaws. I'm getting closer to hitting the road fully equipped. Just got insurance today, so it's off to get the headliner in then roll bar, etc. If I don't see you at Bugorama next time, I'm considering a trip to the Classic so you can get your ride then.
Old November 9th 2004, 01:22

can't wait, Bill.
Old November 12th 2004, 20:18

Fuch'n'Groovin

Harvey Weidman is to wheels as Jake Raby is to engines or CarbonJoe is to fiber -- AWESOME.

More pictures at www.vwbughead.com/web/wheels/

Weidman Wheels -- 530-534-7903 -- restored my Fuchs and mounted my tires. They turned out A+. The attention to detail is outstanding. The wheel weights are split behind the spokes when weight was called for between the spokes. He balances inside and outside weights. They are painted inside and on the backs. The anodization is even and smooth. They were mounted without a single mark. He went out of his way to get and fit the Ferrari aluminum stems.

The wheels are stripped, checked for trueness/roundness and tweeked as needed, polished, anodized, painted and baked. Center cap crests are hand painted.

Here's the specs:
* Front: 16X6 Fuchs; 205/55; +2" CCC fender; 1.5" spacer; Ghia disks
* Rear: 16X7 Fuchs; 225/50; +3" CCC fenders; 2.5" spacer; CB Performance Race disks
* Yokohama ES100
* Porsche Lapis Blue Metallic color matched to car
* Ferrari aluminum valve stems with Porsche caps

Fuch'n'Groovin,
Bill
Old November 13th 2004, 13:03

wow!!!

those look fantastic. really sets off the car. nice choice and nice work.

Old November 13th 2004, 19:54
Administrator

SWEET
HE does nice work.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old November 14th 2004, 09:32

HOLY MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awsome!!
Old December 3rd 2004, 04:12

Lights UP, pedal DOWN

Wow the H4 modification turned out bright and the daylight running lights work well. I drove it at night for the first time and I'm paranoid the lights are too bright... No complaints from on coming traffic, but this is another amazing transformation for my old car. Looking forward to the carbon fiber trim rings. I've got a Tech Article about 80% complete.

More at http://www.vwbughead.com -- see Electrical/Lights update

Also had to reinstall the Whiteline front adjustable sway bar. I had the shock mounts upside down and the beam bracket slipped causing fender lip rubbing. Here are instructions on how I installed the sway bar. I added caster shims also. It handles much better. I'm getting more confident with the handling and continue to push it harder. I love the direct connection this car has to the road. Stiff suspension, smooth steering, tons of power, roaring exhaust, and decent tires = G buzz.
Old December 3rd 2004, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K.
I love the direct connection this car has to the road. Stiff suspension, smooth steering, tons of power, roaring exhaust, and decent tires = G buzz.
ain't life grand? that is just the best feeling! looking real good!!!!

Old June 20th 2005, 03:17

Interior Additions
- chromoly RLR bolt-in roll bar with door bars and traction bar, powdercoated black
- Scat Rally seats
- New panels with RSA handles

- stereo, amp, kick panels/speakers
- datalogger

More at www.vwbughead.com
Old June 20th 2005, 03:56

The car looks great Bill!

I was wondering as to where you got your tack and speedo, how you hooked them up, how you did the faces and LED backlighting. Also, did you make the mounting plate for the gauges or did you purchase it?