GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old June 7th 2009, 23:09

Putting a type 2 trans in a bug

Is there a conversion for this out there? they are stronger than the type1 way cheaper than a porsche trans and can take some abuse!!
Old June 7th 2009, 23:17

yes, they sale kit and work very well I have 091 type 2 in my ghia and I am
running a subaru turbo engineGetAttachment.jpg
Old June 8th 2009, 23:25

Two names... Dave folts, and Gene Berg. It's not cheap (about the same as a porsche tranny swap) Folts' converts to a swing axle style and the baja bunch run's 930 CV IRS set-up. IRS kit's can be had at places like Appletreeauto in MI.

You can do this conversion "on the cheap" if you don't mind having your shift rod on top of the tunnel though shifting is a problem.

Here's a build in a drag ghia. http://home.comcast.net/~mlawless29/type2trans.htm

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old June 9th 2009, 12:52

There's a few different mounting options but if you have a 73 and later super beetle you need to do some fab work. Some mounting kits put the shifter above the tunnel which forces you have to cut the body and use an adapter on the shift rod. There are also 10* mounting kits that tilt the nose of the tranny down 10* to go through the existing hole but this also tilts the motor 10* and can cause other problems. The last option is the berg nose cone adapter which allows you to put a beetle nose cone on the bus tranny and use the stock front mount. The berg setup is one of the easiest but most expensive.

There's also the issue of bell housings and starters. If you go with a 002 tranny you can use a beetle starter or a 002 starter (bosch SR17) and since it's a shorter bell housing it won't push the motor back.

If you're using an 091 tranny the bell housing is 1/2" longer and a number of things are different. You need to use the type 4 lower engine studs in the block since they are longer to reach through the bell housing. Same thing for the half-moon bolt that goes through the starter and speaking of starter, you can only use the late bus (76-up) starter ($$$ for a bosch SR87). Even after that is done you may still have problems with the tins since it's 1/2" back.

The other option with the 091 tranny is to trim 1/2" off the input shaft and bevel it down again. Then switch to a 002 bell housing to use a type 1 or early bus starter. The motor with end up in the stock location and you won't have to switch any studs or bolts. Best of all the 091 was a fair bit stronger than the 002 so you get the best of both worlds.

Just a little help from someone who's been there
Old June 11th 2009, 00:43

thanks that was a great help, it will be this winters project. Any pics of the install? or more info you can think of you can email me. Thanks again Dave
Old June 23rd 2009, 10:21

You can put an 091 or a 002 box in a T1 in a weekend fairly easily, but you have to be good at fabrication.
(Using the stock shift linkage/location)

It has been done many times by many people.

The off-the-shelf 10 degree mounts will put the rear of the trans/engine far too high unless you have a GL Baja ;-)

A home-fabbed solid rear mount (pick up the lower motor bolt holes OR lower bolts on the bell housing) and a solid mid mount is an afternoon>weekend affair if you have the tools and patience. Rubber mounts... can be done but needs far more fab work for obvious reasons.

Add early 944 axles/stubs and it is almost a straightforward affair.

The 002 bell housing etc does simplify things a tad, but so does moving the trans up ~an inch, which is possible with the mid mount (no nose mount) just requires more work at the shifter end.

Gene Berg sells a kit for this if you have no time but have $$$.
Old June 23rd 2009, 20:37

Hi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can you fit the early bellhousing and input shaft onto a later transmission? That way you you could still use the early starter and not have the problems with a deeper bellhousing.

Steve
Old June 24th 2009, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can you fit the early bellhousing and input shaft onto a later transmission? That way you you could still use the early starter and not have the problems with a deeper bellhousing.

Steve

Humble said:
"...The other option with the 091 tranny is to trim 1/2" off the input shaft and bevel it down again. Then switch to a 002 bell housing to use a type 1 or early bus starter. The motor with end up in the stock location and you won't have to switch any studs or bolts. Best of all the 091 was a fair bit stronger than the 002 so you get the best of both worlds."

Humble is absolutely correct. IIRC you can also swap the input shafts, but it's been 20 years since I needed to do that, so the details are fuzzy.

If you have a T4... Or a WBX you may wish to keep the later style as it fits a 228mm clutch without effort.
(IIRC the 002 is not too bad to clearance either, but you still need a self supporting T3 auto starter or such)
Old June 24th 2009, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

Steve

Humble said:
"...The other option with the 091 tranny is to trim 1/2" off the input shaft and bevel it down again. Then switch to a 002 bell housing to use a type 1 or early bus starter. The motor with end up in the stock location and you won't have to switch any studs or bolts. Best of all the 091 was a fair bit stronger than the 002 so you get the best of both worlds."

Humble is absolutely correct.
IIRC you can also swap the input shafts, but it's been 20 years since I needed to do that, so the details are fuzzy.

If you have a T4... Or a WBX you may wish to keep the later style as it fits a 228mm clutch without effort.
(IIRC the 002 is not too bad to clearance either, but you still need a self supporting T3 auto starter or such)