GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old December 15th 2002, 02:06

Question 1979 Vert

Well, Im was wondering if a 1979 white bettle be a good canadit for being a german looker? I want something more than stock, say add a 1716cc engine, and a turbo charger. What else would I have to do to it to make it a german looker?
Old December 15th 2002, 02:22

Read This Thread

This should help you get the consensus on what the GermanLook consists of. Remember, when it comes to performance upgrades, there is no limit!

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old December 15th 2002, 15:47

Technically, you can G/L anything, as long as it's an air-cooled VW starting point. Other than that, you can do anything you want.

I'd say the main criteria would be large (16-18") modern wheels, suspension and brake upgrades, decent power from any engine you want (excepting V8's), and race-inspired styling. What that means is up to you and you alone. The German Look is about an attitude and style that's more of a "total package" rather than a strict set of guidelines that should be adhered to (think Cal-Look).

Have fun with it! That's the main thing!

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old December 16th 2002, 00:21

ok so I can jazz it up, say with some HRE rims, or would randars be ok, or are they to old school?
Old December 16th 2002, 03:14

Unfortunately, I would say that is way too old school. This German Look is not a retro thing. Its a progressive thing.

The GermanLook is about form, following fuction. It is not just a look, like some think. This look evolved out of Germans trying to build their cars to keep up on the autobahn. They did not just build their cars to look like they were fast, like many do in the Japanese import scene.

For example: The reason 16" to 18" wheels are common on GL cars is becacause most of them use larger daimeter brakes. The reason for this is pure function. You need extra stopping power when you have a 150HP + engine out back. But with this function, follows form, the need for larger diameter wheels.

Read all of that thread from the link above....that will give you a very good understanding

Old December 16th 2002, 08:28

Randars are a cal-look wheel and they only come in 5x205, so you really would have a hard time fitting them to a 1303 anyway.

German Look is exactly what vujade said, a progressive style. Think forward...think Porsche. Look to improve your car. Make it more like a modern car, to say the least.

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old December 16th 2002, 11:16

Porsche wheels are vast improvement over stock or callook wheels in many ways.

First of all, going with a 17" wheel over a 15" wheel is going to give you a car that handles much better because it has more rim & less tire. This will really do alot for body roll.

Second, my POrsche wheels only way 8lbs or so, try finding that in an aftermarkey callook wheel. This will shave off nearly 80-100 pounds of unneeded weight off your car.

Last, like I said earlier, the larger diameter wheels will allow the use of larger diameter brakes. Something that is very needed if you plan on ever going really fast.

Old December 16th 2002, 23:20

ok, so is this a good base car? Also I read the link above and have found that GL is still in some what of an infant stage. I want to possibly do a GL but Im having a problem with drawing a line, I want a great, fast car, but not some ricer car. I wanna be able to USE it, at a drag race, but no all plastic NOS crap. Kinda like a VW porche thing, is this the look im aming for? Also I was thinking HRE 18 in rims, the ones on my avatar, car is curently white and I want it black and a tan top, I want Koni adjustable shocks, a great Blaupunkit system. Maybe a better eninge, rip and forget the FI system. Redo the interior. I dont know about body mods, carbon fiber, wings, and air damns, no ricer look or *scrunches face* mullhound look, uggh cant stand it, toooo much. Is this a good base? Also the cal look is wayyyyy over done here in the south, and some thing new and intersting needs be brought up, make vw more interesting.
Old December 16th 2002, 23:55

its funny that you mentioned the Mulholland look. The GL used to be all about fiber glass spoilers and body kits & evolved into a cleaner appearance that it is today.

Those HRE rims would be an excellent choice. It would give your car an excellent attitude.

As far as Carbon Fiber goes, its not a ricer thing, its more about performance enhancement then anything else. I plan of CF fenders in the rear & maybe the decklid also, this is too help lighten the rear of the car. I will probably paint the CF. I am also going to use Lexan Quarter windows too. I am moving my battery from under the seat to the under the front hood. Im trying to get as much even weight balannce as possible to help with handling.

Here is a pic of my car

Old December 17th 2002, 17:43

Maybe I'm reading too much into G'vert's last post, but I read "drag" in it. It seems to me that GL is less about 1/4 or 1/8 mile than it is about handling (acceleration, deceleration, cornering, etc.). Isn't that why vujade is going for balance with the lexan rear quarters, battery relocation (would make a good article), and carbon fiber in the back?

My project will have that intent anyway. I am more interested in 25-to-55, 45-to-70 and 65-to-85 than 0-to-60. (For that matter, I am more interested in 55-to-25, 70-to-45 and 85-to-65 as well.)

My thoughts only,
René
Old December 17th 2002, 18:00

Yes I agree Oasis.....

I will do a battery relocation tech article when it is done, hopefully in the next week or two.

Right now I am in the process of having a aluminum battery tray & two aluminum brackets made to hold the tray in place for under the front hood. It should be real trick looking.

Old December 17th 2002, 21:28

I prolly go for something cheaper, thoes rims run $890.... each
Old December 17th 2002, 22:54

It's not that a G/L cant drag race, its just that it's not the focus of the car.

Also, about the "Rice" word... not meaning to turn it into a debate...

Rice is more like tasteless body mods, minimal performance mods, and driving like a reckless idiot. That said, you can have a G/L with a stock engine. That seems to be the norm in some countries where engine mods are restricted and illiegal.

Carbon is mose definatly not a rice mod. I use it for the aesthetic enhancement, mainly because I can't afford lots of body parts made of it.

Wings and air dams are also not a rice mod. Everything has to remain tasteful or purposeful, if not both. I have a wing off a New Beetle on my car. Is it functional? Probably not, but it looks like it belongs (to me). It dosn't stand out too much, but gets looks.

Let's just get back to the heart of the matter: German Look is about what you want. There's a minimum of rules, and they're flexible. Just make a car you like.

///BrooklynAutoRennen