GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 3rd 2003, 15:24

Newby/tech article/sway bars

Hi, i'm a newby here to the german look forums. I was breezing through the tech articles on suspension and the one on suspension choices mentioned that the only choice for the type 1 were sway away sway bars or porsche varieties. I'm in the process of building up a 1600 cc powered beetle for auto-x. Mine is a standard ball joint with IRS. I found sway bars from whiteline out of australia for my beetle. A lot of local subaru owners that autocross use these bars. The ones i bought were fully adjustable (not gay adjustable end links like a lot of sway bars i've seen, but real stiffness adjustability) 22mm front and 27mm rear sway bars. Now i've never driven the car with em on, so i can't tell you too much about them...but the rear one fit pretty good (front one is still in the garage waiting for all this snow to melt). Has anyone else run these? or is there some reason why nobody has run these. They cost me 160 bucks each shipped to my door and with the huge adjustability options, they like should do very well on my car. I just wanted to see if anyone else has tried these or if no one has, to tell others about another option that is out there for sway bars.

Nick
Old February 3rd 2003, 20:51

Hey Nick,

I'm doing the same thing (building a Bug for auto-x).
I've looked at the whiteline bars as well, but the price has hold me back so far.

Let me know how the bars work out, I'm very interested in it.
Also what other mods have you made (suspension wise) ?

I also own a Subaru and am a member of a Subaru club. The club is fairly active in auto-x and some are running the whiteline bars.
As far as I know, they all love 'em.

Hmmm, in stead of an answer you got more questions

Rob.
Old February 3rd 2003, 21:46

I didn't think the price was too bad...only about 50 or 60 bucks more each than the non-adjustable sway away bars. I got them through mofugas and it took a month to get em. Well worth the money and wait for adjustability. aircooled.net is going to be carrying them...but their price is higher than i paid. My other mods so far are an adjustable front beam (came with the car) and kyb gr2's all around...those came with the car too...hopefully i'll be switching to koni's soon. Engine mods are dual weber 44's for my 1600 and merged exhaust...nothing to special yet...i plan on building another bulletproof stock engine to run in street prepared.
Old February 4th 2003, 07:32

Hi

I use white bars all round on my 1302 bug, Iam very pleased with them but I only live a few suburbs from where they make them. I upgraded mine with rose joints.

Steve C

Old February 4th 2003, 10:52

ohhhh....me want!!! where'd you get those joints? Those would make life easier. I suppose i could make em outta two tie rod ends.

nick

Last edited by Aurumen; February 4th 2003 at 11:48.
Old February 5th 2003, 06:11

Hi

I bought them from a bearing supply place, I needed the extra room as my 3 inch exhaust runs forward and under the diff area and back again, I also remade the square section that the links attach to as well so that they lined up better.

Steve C
Old February 5th 2003, 11:27

There is a web site that shows 944 torsion bar wheel rates. I no longer have the link but I think it was on the Rennlist somewhere.
ken
Old February 5th 2003, 14:01

Yes, the WhiteLion bars were not know to me when I wrote that article.

They are now (or soon to be) available in the US through John at www.aircooled.net. Not sure if they are listed yet?

From what I understand WhiteLion makes really big bars for the VW where no one else comes close. But just be careful as you will want the car with smaller bars than too big as oversized bars will make it fishy at the limits.
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 5th 2003, 14:15

They actually make several sizes...varying from about 20mm to the monsters. They were available here in the US...but just not from any common VW parts reseller. I got mine through a subaru parts reseller. Aircooled.net is going to be carrying them (i've been told recently) and they even have them listed on their site...but his prices are significantly higher than what i paid. Aircooled.net will certainly give you better service than i got, but it costs a little extra, i guess.

Nick
Old February 5th 2003, 20:25

http://www.askubal.de/default.asp

have a look here for all your rose/heim joint requests may not be so usefull for the us guys but for us europeans it can do ok . im gonna be using some kl 12s for a cup brace on my gearbox.