GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old January 17th 2006, 11:47
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

go to my website, www.laperformance.co.uk . then go to projects page and to carbon car check pics , there you will see 915 installed with no cutting , only the frame horn seams . all the best Lee L.A.P
Old January 18th 2006, 04:52

915 in bug

Hi Lee,

nice car the Carbon-one. Did I see right, that there are no rubber blocks on the rear traverse of the 915-box?
If so I fear that vibrations and torque of the engine is gonna kill the housing of the 915 in a few days time.
Am still waiting for your reply to my mails that I sent the last weeks. The 915-parts are nearly finnished now and I don´t know if you want them at all.

Besides, am having a traverse that fits the bellhousing of the 915 and 901 and this one is with rubber blocks.

Looking forward to your reply.

Martin Bott
Old January 22nd 2006, 12:19

Are all Porsche G50 Bell-housings the same depth? I’ve heard that some G50’s have a shorter BellHousing, I think the 3.2 Carerra’s is this true? If so, what model cars did this shorter Bell-housing come from? Does anyone know the distance from the axel centers to the outside face of the G50 Bell-Housing?

Also, if mounting a G50 into a Bug can it be rubber isolated mounted, or does it have to be solid mounted?

Thanks Jon
Old January 23rd 2006, 06:02

I think it is the 964 onwards G50 that had the longer bellhousing, this was to house the rubber centre clutch pressure plate which was quickly discontinued..

Rubber mounting isn't a problem, just use an original style front 911 mount and the Subaru engine mounts!

Rich
Old January 28th 2006, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugaRu
Steve.
Thanks for the link about the Tech tips on Subaru's. By the way it opened oK. I know what you mean about the cam covers on the DOHC engines. That's why I decided on using the SOHC heads on the STI block. Pic attached below.

Hey, I ment to tell you Nice Website, also great job on your 1972 Superbug.

Do you know Jak, and John from Auzzi who also have Subaru powered VW's. They both have great rides. Dang you Auzzi's just luv to wrench don't you?

Also any chance that you know what the gear ratios are for a G50 R&P and 1-5 ratios?

Jon

Subaru 2.5 with SOHC heads.
I know this is a transmission thread , but does anybody know the HP rating on the 2.5L engine ? How does it compare to the DOHC 2.0L turbo engine . Any help would be appreciated , as I am going to go with a Suby engine , and I want the most HP I can get . Axl .
Old February 5th 2006, 21:58

Red face

I'm not sure of all the spec's.. But here’s what I think I know. The DOHC engines will produce higher rev's a little quicker, plus if installing a turbo DOHC engine little needs to be done to the engine as it already has a turbo ready block. But your need to clearance the engine bay to get the engine to fit.

If space clearances are not an issue the DOHC will work and perform fine with plenty of power and easily upgraded. A DHOC engine measures just about 32" wide.

If space is an issue and you don't want to cut the inter-fender wells etc then the SOHC engines are an almost perfect fit with little or no clearance issues. The 2.5 with SOHC heads will measure just about 29" wide. The 2.2 SOHC engines will measure around 27" wide with plenty of clearance on both sides of the engine when installed. All Suby SOHC engines are respectfully about the same height with the DOHC engines being the highest, but other then the oil pan the height is not the issues with the Suby engines.

Weight. heaviest is the DOHC, then the 2.5 SOHC, with the 2.2 SOHC being the lightest of the Sube's

The 2.5 SOHC engines will produce more torque with almost square numbers between HP & Torque. Little if any head work is needed as the SOHC heads flow very well when used with a Turbo. If you use a STI block with the SOHC heads 300-400 HP is easily obtainable depending on moderate boost levels on your choice of Turbo's, but then again in an already light Bug how much HP does one really need. If you use the stock 2.5 SOHC block and decide that you want to run a Turbo your need to run race fuel or your going to destroy your engine, so if fuel is an issue it might be best to go with the STi block form the get go?

Perhaps some of the Sube-perts can elaborate and better answer your question?

Good luck
Old February 16th 2006, 10:28

Hey SteveC,

Why do you say the 915 isn't as effective as the G50?
Old February 16th 2006, 23:51

Hi DORIGTT

They are not as strong as a G50, they are getting old and have shifter issues.

Steve
Old February 17th 2006, 00:30

Does the G50 use the same shifter as the 915 or do I have to get one of those as well?
Old February 17th 2006, 05:26

The G50 shifter is completely different. The spring action is internal to the box and the shift is effectively reversed to a VW set-up, ie you could put a lever straight on to the shift rod and it would work in the correct directions, in the VW/early 911 set-ups the shifter movement is reversed in the shift linkage.

Rich
Old February 17th 2006, 11:48

So what you're saying is that it is easier to create shift linkage and install it?
Old February 17th 2006, 14:12

easier to just fit the Porsche shifter. Steve C has a picture of his on his web pagehttp://www.clubvw.org.au/steve_carter.htm

Rich
Old February 19th 2006, 03:40

Hi

Having said that the G50 is a better tranny, I should also add that its a lot bigger than a 915 box and is harder to fit.

Steve
Old March 25th 2006, 21:29

very cool stuff guys!

do you guys think a g50 box would be able to fit in a notch with an EJ20t or tt?
Old March 25th 2006, 22:31

Hi

The G50 is longer so unless you cut into the torsion bars the motor may sit to far back. I moved mine 100 mm forward, the nose of the G50 nearly touches the chassis number.

Steve