GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old March 1st 2007, 09:43

914/11 into beetle

hey i've got a 914 five speed tailshift, need to know how to flip the diff? where can i get the info i need? beetle has engine/gearbox out and its bum in the air and box is sat on floor waiting! cheers guys. al
Old March 1st 2007, 19:46

If you can find a repair manual that describes how to remove the gear stacks, you'll be in business. That's the hardest part of the process, and actually isn't that difficult to do. After that, you remove the diff side cover, remove the diff carrier, and re-install it backwards.

The ring gear, and pinion mesh pattern will have to be checked to make sure they fit together properly, or else they will be noisy, and will wear out quickly. Pinion depth will have to be adjusted to correct it if needed by adding extra gaskets between the intermediate plate, and case.

You'll need the nose cone, and selector shaft from a 911/901 to make it work in a Bug.
'83 928S 4.7
Old March 2nd 2007, 11:39

looks like i'm on the look out for yet another manual then! i've got the bits i need, nose cone n selector rods, from bugat5speed. with some of his other parts, no instructions thou! thanks
Old March 6th 2007, 23:42

I just finished my 914. It is really easy. Just take the front of the transmission off, then pull out the gear stack all in one piece. Put in in the vice to hold it. Remove the side plate. Since you have already removed the gear stack, the pinion gear came out with the stack. You take off the axle hubs on both sides, then you take the side plate off you will see the ring gear facing you. Just lift it out, clean it up and then replace it except you just flip it over, when it goes back in, you now have the ring gear facing down and all you see is the back of the ring gear. Change the shift rod, remove reverse and 1st gear out of the original nose plate and install it into the nose cone, install the dowel pin to hold them in place, install a gasket or two (real important to know how thick this is if they use one or two on both sides of the gear stack, then install the gear stack, put on the nose cone. Make sure you align the ring on the reverse and 1st gear so the nose cone will go on. If you have a good gear stack and syncros there is really nothing to it. Make sure you have a new gasket and seal kit.

Good luck.

69 German Looker T4 2270 Raby Kit
Old March 7th 2007, 14:15

thanks, i've ordered a 914 manaul as well now. so better get me some gaskets too. i'll see whats about. cheers again. al
Old March 7th 2007, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
I just finished my 914. It is really easy. Just take the front of the transmission off, then pull out the gear stack all in one piece. Put in in the vice to hold it. Remove the side plate. Since you have already removed the gear stack, the pinion gear came out with the stack. You take off the axle hubs on both sides, then you take the side plate off you will see the ring gear facing you. Just lift it out, clean it up and then replace it except you just flip it over, when it goes back in, you now have the ring gear facing down and all you see is the back of the ring gear. Change the shift rod, remove reverse and 1st gear out of the original nose plate and install it into the nose cone, install the dowel pin to hold them in place, install a gasket or two (real important to know how thick this is if they use one or two on both sides of the gear stack, then install the gear stack, put on the nose cone. Make sure you align the ring on the reverse and 1st gear so the nose cone will go on. If you have a good gear stack and syncros there is really nothing to it. Make sure you have a new gasket and seal kit.

Good luck.
You skipped the critical part -- setting the backlash, pinion depth, etc.

Bill
Old March 7th 2007, 14:40

i'll see whats covered in the manaul when i get it. where's a good place to get gaskets from? bearing in mind i'n in the uk. porsche dealer? or is there somewhere better? cheers al
Old March 7th 2007, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrljet View Post
You skipped the critical part -- setting the backlash, pinion depth, etc.

Bill
I scanned a few pages from a 911 manual and put 'em on the web for anyone who would like to see it. All I had at hand was for the 915 tranny, but you can see the main idea. It's non-trivial and requires some special tools.

See http://www.wrljet.com/915/

Bill
Old March 13th 2007, 17:01

thank wrljet..... You are correct. Mine was good to start and it was also good when I flipped it and put it back together. Not sure this is the case in all of them, so checking is sure something you want to check off and make sure you check.

69 German Looker T4 2270 Raby Kit
Old March 13th 2007, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
thank wrljet..... You are correct. Mine was good to start and it was also good when I flipped it and put it back together. Not sure this is the case in all of them, so checking is sure something you want to check off and make sure you check.
I checked mine, and ended up putting it back together just as it came apart as well. The wear pattern was center to root (almost perfect) with two gaskets. Still good to check, even if they usually go together without adjustment.

Also, before removing the gears and intermediate plate, you'll need to remove the fork piece that guides the selector shaft. It's the little oval shaped, two bolt, steel doo-dad on the underside.

My book also instructed me to put the gearbox into fifth gear, and remove the first/reverse shift fork, but I can't remember why...
'83 928S 4.7
Old March 15th 2007, 16:25

thanks guys. i got my 914 manual now as well to help . still gotta figure out the shift rod bits but hoping that will make sence once i get it apart. looks like i still aint got all the parts i need to convert it to fit beetle. i'm missing the shift rod that sticks out the nose cone now . looking less likely its gonna see the sun this year
Old March 15th 2007, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1303R View Post
i'm missing the shift rod that sticks out the nose cone now
Yeah, I struck out finding one myself, so I had to make mine. I cut the 914's rod off at the square piece, and welded to it as much of the straight part of a VW tranny's hockey stick as I could cut off. It ended up being shorter than a 901's shift rod, but it works like it should.

You just got to make sure it's blade straight when you do it.
'83 928S 4.7
Old March 16th 2007, 14:03

ooh hello making my own sounds fun! any chance of a little picy? what shift 914 did you have? i've gotta side shift trans.

Last edited by 1303R; March 19th 2007 at 14:51.
Old March 16th 2007, 16:44

1303R

The side shift is still usuable.. as mentioned you need a 901 inner shift rod.. as well as nosecone, side cover and inner rods and forks.. flip the diff, and move breather..

From there you can take one of many ways to put it into your bug..

If you need a inner shift rod, more info or other parts, let me know, we can help.
VR
ALex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old March 16th 2007, 17:24

Yes, let ^^ him know, it'll be much easier. :agree:

BTW, 1303r, mine was a tail shifter.
'83 928S 4.7