GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 16th 2003, 16:14

Front coil-overs - Any point?

Hi!
I have to change the dampers up front in my 1969 1500, so I was thinking of buying coil-overs. I have a puma front-end, so I thought I could simply set the torsion feathering at the lowest setting, and then raise it by tightening the coil overs. What I'm hoping to achieve is better handling and grip. Is this a good way to go or would it be better to simply buy new gas dampers? Or should I totally disengage the original feathering and go with just the coil-overs, but if I should do it this way, how to disengage the original feathering?

Thanks in advance.
Old June 17th 2003, 00:13

Being able to easily adjust every thing is the main reason to go with coil overs. However most of it you can do with the torsion bars by changing the bars and adjustable shocks can be fitted to the stock front end anyway. What you can't do is weight balance the front end side to side unless someone else has come up with an idea. My idea is to cut the lower tube and weld in two adjusters and cut the spring pack in two and insert the halves into both of the adjusters. An easier way would be to use light springs on coil overs and use them to adjust the balance. Unless you are after max performance a pair of bilstein or Konis with some front and rear sway bars will get you some excellent handling. Lowering and low profile tires really help. Hope it helps.
Old June 17th 2003, 07:07

I already have a front sway bar. I read somewhere that people experienced improved braking, the wheels didn't lock as fast. This means it gave better grip, which is what I want. But is it worth it? I really don't care about adjustability, as I have a puma front bream. The only reason for me wanting to change to coil-overs is for better grip. Maybe I should skip the coil-overs, and go for some normal gas shocks and new tires instead?