GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old October 26th 2003, 21:00

Channeling Body

I ran across a 1962 sedan in pretty good shape except for the areas around the pan. The heater channels, door pilars, quarter panel etc. The package shelf is also gone. So due to the time and effort to replace all that which is a common problem where I live I was thinking about cutting about two inches off the bottom of the body before I set it back down on the pan and heater channels. I am going to have to cut and replace that much anyway. It looks like only two inches won't be too bad. Anymore and you would be looking at a nightmare of custom formed metal pieces.
Once I cut out all the 2 inch strips I would flange the upper part of the body and lower it into place. The parts would be pop-riveted together every six inches to check on alignment and perhaps the necessary patches. Once in place Spot welds every 1/2 inch. Everything would be braced to maintain alignment.
The three major areas I think I would have problems with are the gas tank, steering and the fact the engine would sit two inches higher in the engine compartment.
The last part is a major problem.
Can anyone think of any other problems I might run into. The drag racers may be able to help with the raised engine problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old October 27th 2003, 01:12

That's a HUGE job! You will need more than spot welds to fasten the parts together, it should be fully welded.

Personally, I don't think that '62 is in good enough condition to mess with (at least I would not do it, and I used to do body work for a living).

I think it would look pretty cool if you could pull it off.... sort of '50s custom.
ken
Old October 27th 2003, 08:29

Have a look at http://groups.msn.com/HERTSVWCLUB/edscustombug.msnw as Ed has a gallery of in build shots when he channelled his.