GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old February 5th 2006, 11:16

cooling

He Sandeep! When is the next club meeting??
Old February 6th 2006, 08:46

Good work Sandeep!
WI can't wair to see how the shroud does once you add boost to it....
Old February 6th 2006, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad bug
Hey Yardie,
Glad you could join in. How does that 2.6ltr run/feel,i am also thinking of running on in the near future. I am in portmore St Catherine. Do you have any problems with head temps and the sharpbuilt shroud. Who built your engine what's the top speed.

are you running a T4? i feel like im going to need some advice sooner or later
im in kingston
Old February 6th 2006, 17:16

Yes, it is a TIV engine.
Old February 6th 2006, 23:34

Hey Jake, I thought you were doing the HotVW's thing with Dean. Get back to work! I can't wait for the article to come out!

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old February 7th 2006, 08:51

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by krems
are you running a T4? i feel like im going to need some advice sooner or later
im in kingston
Krems Sandeep's car is a 2.0ltr engine as Jake say's. By the way this gut jake is the best he works on t4 engines for a living his words are gold not like the dumb *** mechanics in Jamaica. Ah! by the way did i tell you i am also from jamaica , Portmore to be exact. I am also going to put a 2.0l type4 in my bug
Old February 7th 2006, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad bug
Krems Sandeep's car is a 2.0ltr engine as Jake say's. By the way this gut jake is the best he works on t4 engines for a living his words are gold not like the dumb *** mechanics in Jamaica. Ah! by the way did i tell you i am also from jamaica , Portmore to be exact. I am also going to put a 2.0l type4 in my bug
trust me, i know all about jake, im also on STF and thesamba.

i agree about the mechanics....all they really know about are T1's. my mechanic didnt even see how it was preferable to use a T4 instead.

im looking to put in a 2.0 too....but funds lacking
Old February 7th 2006, 11:27

Krems where in Kingston are you. The conversion may not be all that expensive if you can find 2.0ltr bus cylinder head tins. Jake sell a book which tells how to do this.
Old February 8th 2006, 04:01

i have Joe Cali's book, and i can find an engine with little prob...just need the dual carbs, to fabricate an exhaust....do the necessary work (lighten the flywheel too) and go.

im in Mona

any advice/suggestions?

to keep on topic: nice shroud, wonder how it'll do against the DTM.

by the way, Jake, i remember some time ago you said you hadnt tested the dtm against the Cali conversion, have you done so since then?
Old February 8th 2006, 08:58

Krems: To find dual carbs check Peter or Morgan on Red hills road by the Price Right suppermarket, they should be able to help you out. Thank god i have my dual 44 webers the price for new carbs now is rediculous. Do you have a flywheel as yet if not get an 1.8l flywheel and you are set if not the waterboxer flywheel can be used with a cars starter its 228mm ( more clamping force ). About the exhaust thing i was going to fab mine i have to buy 1 5/8 stub pipes form jake, the bends can be sourced elsewhere. Krem if you lighten the flywheel get everything balanced this should be done on any engine built. The mechanics hear don't tell you this they only put your engine together as best they can and bang 6 months later you are out of an engine, yes i know we don't have balancer in Jamaica but spend the money and check jake out. I am curious to see how well sandeep's engine cool after the modifications to the shroud.
Old February 23rd 2006, 00:25

Arrow 5 blade cooling

what kind of performance does the 911 5 blade have? will this keep a 2056cc cool with a 96plate mesa with fan?
Old August 26th 2006, 18:12

come on guys dont let this thread die.

Any updates lately??
Old August 27th 2006, 11:39
Administrator

The shroud with the mods to the back of the 911 fan is working great. The hottest temp I have to date is 361F on #4 at 17 psi, 5400 rpm in 4th.

The car runs awesome with the turbo with temps averaging around 320F while driving around town. On the highway they average about 340F with all cylinders within about 10F of each other.

The Megasquirt EFI really helps as well, as does the LC-1 because I can dial in exactly the A/F ratio I want. The EDIS helps as well because of the programmable ignition.

I really did not know what A/F ratio I was running with the 44IDF's and not exactly sure of the timing with the 050 Dizzy, because the temps I am getting with the EFI/EDIS/Turbo are close to what I had with the 44 IDF's/050 Dizzy/No turbo.

So overall, I am extremely happy because I KNOW I have a 911 shroud that cools well enough for me to run a turbo at 17 PSI

Engine is currently apart to fix a loose valve seat and is getting an overall refresh. Will be terrorizing the streets again in spring 2007

Sandeep

sandeep
Old August 27th 2006, 14:04

I think I have a clua why the FAT shroud works well. Like the type 1 shroud, it guides the air left and right untill it dumps it onto the heads.

Here's a comparison of a different approach to mimic the original porsche air deflector.
Both are Remmele shrouds.
The blue shroud is actually an adaption of a Remmele shroud for an Ahnendorp machined case. However, the only 'remmele'touch is that it has a more flat (hollow actually) back side, intended to divert the air better to 2 and 4th cylinders.
The second one is an all original Remmele shroud (the carbon one). There the flat back is even more pronounced and it also has very distinct 'paths' to direct more air to 2 and 4th.
I have no conclusive data in the forms of temps on either tho. That will take time

Best regards,
Walter
Old August 27th 2006, 21:56

Off the shelf, the FAT shroud was the worst shroud I tested for temperature delta, despite the drive ratio or amount of blades on the fan it always kept the same delta. I have seen #4 more than 150F hotter than #1 with that system and no mods made to it.