GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old February 23rd 2010, 18:52

914 trans dream on hold for awhile

so i just got off the phone with a local porsche shop for a rebuild quote on my 914 trans i got a steal on. well the trans rebuild is gunna be on hold for awhile cuz i cant afford $1500 on a rebuild i still wanna do it but at that price not any time soon
Old February 24th 2010, 00:47

Check these out. You can rebuild your own for alot less than what the shops may want to charge you.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nny_repair.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...1_synchros.htm

Also check out 914club.com. I got alot of information from some very helpful 914 wizards there.
Old February 24th 2010, 08:49

Here's the guy you need to get in touch with:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=56892

Dr. Evil will do a top notch job on your gearstack overhaul and work with you on costs with his huge stash of good used parts.

Unfortunately, the 914 trans can be picked up cheap (which seems like a great deal at first), generally around $200 or less - but that can only be considered a core trans. The OH costs can range as little as $500, or as much a $2500 (and more!) depending on what needs replacing, any modifications, HD parts and/or used parts you can use. Lots of guys get 2 core transmissions to have more spare parts available to build one good one. The bearings and 1st gear parts are the killer, plus you have to start out with a core with good R&P gears (no pitting).

The above link will walk you through checking the trans and pulling the gearstack for OH.

Jeff
Old February 24th 2010, 13:08

I purchased 3 in good condition for $30.00 each as the VW shop that had them on the shelf didn't know what they were from and sold them to me for core value!
Old February 24th 2010, 13:36

thanx for the links, ya i got the trans for cheap, $150, but when i got it home i noticed writing on it, it said "no 1st bad syncros" so i started calling around and i couldnt belive how mch it was gunna cost to rebuild it, so after looking at some of those links i think i can replace first gear and maybe the syncros as well, thanx again

Last edited by Natefank; February 24th 2010 at 13:54.
Old April 2nd 2010, 14:12

just an update, i pulled the nose cone off and found the problem, first gear slider is shot and the dog teeth are worn, just gotta save up to spend $400 on a gear
Old April 3rd 2010, 17:43

Keep you eyes on ebay. i've purchased a few things by searching for 'Porsche 901'
Old April 12th 2010, 15:41

Check out pelica parts. thats whwer i got the stuff to rebuild my 901, that I found out when i opened it up to find out that the car was used as a sub.
Follow the link:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ion-Clutch.htm
Old April 13th 2010, 14:10

ya thats where i went and found that the part is over $400
Old April 13th 2010, 18:25

nate,
sorry to hear of the issue. I went through this sticker shock as I was working on my trans... I then went out and researched alternatives and found that no matter what I was getting into it was going to cost me a ton... but of the tons to spend, I decided that building my 901 would be cheaper than any other solution. I know that doesn't help I am just saying... save your coin, spend it once. get that trans done from start to finish the first time...

Here is something to think about. Find another cheap-o trans and between the two you could possibly find a 'new' gear not as worn. I ended up buying to trans. stuffing them together and rebuilding all the middle bits... it worked a treat!

Hope you firgure out the solution to your challenge...
Old April 14th 2010, 13:50

ya im just gunna save up and buy thr parts, id rather save and buy new than get a used one from another trans and have it go out in a year or so