GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 5th 2003, 23:00

Question Wildwood any good

Any suggestions here guys
Old February 6th 2003, 11:44

I plan to use Wilwood Dynalite calipers in my 1303 because they are much cheaper and lighter than the Porsche/Brembo and other calipers such as AP. I am not sure about the performance but it's got 44mm piston size (4 pot) which is even bigger than the 944T 4 pots caliper. It is not DOT approval though. This may concern some people.

I also want to listen some other opinions.

Tim
Old February 6th 2003, 15:14
Superman

Wilwood is something I considered for my 1303 until I learned of the 944 conversion. They have a very good standing in the sandrail - dunebuggy - dirt circle track VW crowd.
Old March 1st 2003, 12:33

I have adapted them to my bug. You will need the 1/8in NPT to metric bubble adapters if you use bug brake lines. They are available from Larrys off road. They are made by CNC.
Dot approval means that the brakes will stop the car. If you go to a junk yard you will see just how small the brakes are on American cars. The wilwoods also don't have covers over the pistons to prevent rust. They will have to be washed off occasionally if you drive in the winter on salted roads. Other than that as you go high end the cosmetics are about the only difference as the principles and construction is remarkably the same.
Old March 2nd 2003, 12:35

Hi Chigger,
Is your bug a super or standard? Which model of Wilwood caliper are you using? Are you adapting the Wilwood rotors, mounting hats, etc. as well?
In order to reduce unsprung weight for my 1303, I am planning to use Wilwood rotors, mounting hats with Dynalite calipers on the rear which will be having 944 late alu arms. My purpose is racing only and therefore I don't need the e-brake. Do you think this combination will work? Of course I prepare to fabricate some caliper adaptors.

Thanks
Tim
Old March 3rd 2003, 15:04

The adapters are available from CNC. I got mine from Larrysoffroad.
The front and rear rotors are early 944. These are thinner and lighter than the latter ones. The front are 1 3/4 inch dynalite II and the rear are 1 3/8 inch dynalite II, with an adjustable proportial valve in the rear line. The bias should be fairy close without the valve, but I may want to fine tune it.
The rear adapter is a bear, because of the very close bolt spacing of the Porsche backing plate. I had to relieve all kinds if litte bits sticking out to get it to fit.
The front is a custom hub with the 944 rotor. Use a drum brake spindle as it is more adaptable. The adapter wasn't hard to make with a CNC mill. You could probably make them with a hole saw and alot of filing.
While heavier than a stock drum setup, the front is about the same weight as a Ghia solid rotor setup. The rear is about 3 lbs heavier than a type 3 drum assembly. Not to bad overall.
A one piece front rotor/hub such as CSP sells would save more weight in the front, and removing the parking brake and using the front rotors on the rear would also save some more weight. Of course custom rotor hats front and rear would be the way to go.
Here is another consideration. The wheel and tire combination is alot heavier than stock. A nice tuner wheel as light as possible and a super low profile tire would be the lightest combo. If you don't lower it too much you might get a 17 or 18 inch rim to fit with a 35 series tire on it. Finding the right offset is the bear.
Hope it helps.
PS Mine is a standard. I have driven a brand new superbeetle in my youth and was not happy with its handling. The handling can be upgraded however. With a few mods my standard can pull enough Gs to cause you to have to brace yourself to stay in the seat. New seats on the way.

Last edited by chigger; March 3rd 2003 at 15:07.