GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 4th 2005, 13:16

Plans for mine won't be available till it's been road tested as a minimum, which probably won't be till next summer. You'll have to ask Pure55vw about what he can offer.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old December 2nd 2005, 21:59

a-arm stuff

I've been looking at all your stuff and it looks pretty cool. I'm designing my own a-arm setup for my kit car but I'll be putting the inner arm pivots closer together and running longer arms. I'll probably lob off the frame head early on. I'll be running VW ball joint spindles with disk brakes with a Chevy bolt pattern. The biggest difference is that I'll be hooking up a torsion bar setup with non-coilover shocks. It's going to be a little radical but the height will be fully adjustable. It may be a little stiff but sporty. Very low center of gravity as well. Once I get to the building point, I'll post pictures.
JiI
Old December 3rd 2005, 01:52

Keep us posted, sounds interesting!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old June 22nd 2006, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI
I've been looking at all your stuff and it looks pretty cool. I'm designing my own a-arm setup for my kit car but I'll be putting the inner arm pivots closer together and running longer arms. I'll probably lob off the frame head early on. I'll be running VW ball joint spindles with disk brakes with a Chevy bolt pattern. The biggest difference is that I'll be hooking up a torsion bar setup with non-coilover shocks. It's going to be a little radical but the height will be fully adjustable. It may be a little stiff but sporty. Very low center of gravity as well. Once I get to the building point, I'll post pictures.
JiI
Any progress here?

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old August 1st 2006, 01:08

hey jason and pure55 how's it coming? any pics and what's going on with test drives? I'm looking to do this to my 69 but it comes down to the $$$ for it now but love what you guys have done keep us updated.

69 Becoming a GL on the slow road
72 std run about
93 nissan u/p
Old August 1st 2006, 15:33

Life is happening to me right now. I have a house that I'm selling, one that I'm getting ready to rent, and another that is getting renovated and an addition, so I've not even touch the bug in a long time. I have not been idle though, Lanner at V-Dub Customs is still finishing off my front brakes. I imagine about 2 months and I'll be back to working on it again.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old August 17th 2006, 01:38

Haven't been on here in quite a while but here's the latest on the double A-arm suspension project: Recently completed a 4000 mi. test of the suspension over all kinds of roads (and weather conditions). No "high-speed racing" unfortunately, since the car is just an otherwise stock '74, but it would be interesting to see how it performs under those conditions. The suspension structure held up generally very well. No chronically loose bolts or unusually worn parts. It's now coming off the test car and going on my '55, which was it's ultimate destination. There's a bit of work to do before that, though. I'll be busy a while cleaning and re-painting a few rusty parts, replacing a torn ball joint boot, etc. I increased the caster to about 5 degrees to help straight line tracking, but seems like it could stand more. So part of the work the next few months will be adjusting steering and suspension geometry to get it, plus a few other improvements that seem worthy. Jason, I see you asked for a pix of the steering connection. Since it's already off, I'll mock it up and post it. Sorry for taking so long..
Old August 17th 2006, 13:49

Not a problem! Glad to hear your making progress. I hope to be doing trials on the suspension this winter, but at the rate I've been going that looks to be aways off. I'm really looking forward to the process though. I'll look forward to the pics.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old January 12th 2007, 07:28

hey Pure hows it going?? so any good new on the front end??
I"m really wanting to get my hands on one

thanks
Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old January 19th 2007, 19:23

My single A arm project for supers was put on hold for the recent ice storm. However I should have the tubular Test Jig I am building to hold all the parts in place as If they were on a frame and chassis and not just a frame, done soon. This option allows me great access to all the parts and areas I will be working on as well as mocking up their position. As for the mounting points for the arms, they will be able to either be bolted on or welded in depending on the end users wishes. The down side to this project is that the A arms will be a total custom affair. However all the supporting parts will be off the shelf. Parts such as the A arm bushings, ball joints and sway bar busings, allowing for rebuilds if needed. I plan on offering 2 versions one that will use a bolt on Porsche ball joint and one that will use a bolt on ball joint that will fit beetle spindels. This will offer easy options to the two main schools of break modification. I may in the future also offer I arms with these options as well for people that wish to keep a more stock suspension. Expect some detailed updates in the main thread for this in the next week or so.
Pirate VW Services is looking for weber IDF and IDA carbs "to far gone to repair". We are also looking for 74 Super Beetle and later controll arms that are to badley bent to use or repair. PM for details.

Sevice with a yarrhhhh!
Old April 9th 2007, 10:05

a-arm update

Just an update. The lower arms are done and the front mounts are coming along. I switched over to 74' superbeetle spindles, ford bolt pattern and a 944 lower ball joint to hook everything up. I have a bit more to weld up, then I'll post pictures. Time is tight and the weather sucks right now. I'll get back to it soon. I get the 915 tranny tonight so I can start on the rear suspension in AutoCAD next!!!!
JiI
Old April 10th 2007, 00:06

Sweeeeeet! Keep us posted.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old May 13th 2007, 01:33

I have had to wade through a load of personal crap for awhile now that has slowed my project way down. how ever things are picking up and I will soon be catching up and posting some pictures.
Pirate VW Services is looking for weber IDF and IDA carbs "to far gone to repair". We are also looking for 74 Super Beetle and later controll arms that are to badley bent to use or repair. PM for details.

Sevice with a yarrhhhh!
Old July 20th 2007, 01:40

An update on my project: I finally got it installed it on my '55 (see pix). The suspension has been performing well. The addition of more caster (about 7.5 degrees) greatly reduced the "wandering" tendency and the front tracks much better now. The plan now is just to pile up the miles (and add a little paint!) Also planning to build a new subframe. The original one on there has been modified enough, it's time to build a "cleaned up" version. I have more pictures I'll post soon. Also would like to add dust covers to the shocks. Does anyone know where to get shock "boots" for Carrera coilovers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUSP2.JPG (70.0 KB, 142 views)
Old July 20th 2007, 14:46

Thanks for the update!!! I havn't seen your car as a whole, but I'm guessing with the narrow fronts you are running a Cal-Look style. That reduces the castor you might have had setup with a flat pan during fabrication. I kept bugging the guy who designed mine to make sure there was enough castor adjustment for that very reason. Keep us posted.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run