GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old December 24th 2013, 13:16

Wow they look amazing nice christmas prezzie ,its amazing how much aftermarket stuff is availble from china now, only joking walter, how many pairs of these exotic heads actually exist i would imagine single figure ammounts ? Very Nice
Old December 24th 2013, 14:49

Cheers Graham! I believe 5 or 6 pairs have been made in this batch.
Old December 30th 2013, 10:08

I didnt see any support on torsiontubes on your car and Humble's car, i have only seen support on mendeola oval chassis and remmele chassis.

Looks like they dont need as much support as the shock towers and framehorns.

First i wanted to have tubes from rollcage mainloop to torsiontubes, but it might be not needed from what i have heard:

Old December 30th 2013, 11:22

Alex,

Copied from my same answer in Humbles thread:

The fact I didn't weld any supports to the torsion tubes, doesn't neccesarily mean I wouldn't be better of with them...
In fact, thats probably the first other thing I will add to the existing cage as my instablity at Santa Pod in 2012 might be due to missing exactly that!

Cheers,
Walter
Old December 30th 2013, 11:33

For most tracks, these trans straps are gonna be mandatory. We just made one from 6mm steel, 4 inches wide...

Old December 30th 2013, 13:04

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alex- View Post
I didnt see any support on torsiontubes on your car and Humble's car, i have only seen support on mendeola oval chassis and remmele chassis.

Looks like they dont need as much support as the shock towers and framehorns.

First i wanted to have tubes from rollcage mainloop to torsiontubes, but it might be not needed from what i have heard:

Alex, you are on the right track, the factory got lazy with the later production runs, many cars came off the line without even the two t/tube too body bolts under the back seat, if these are omitted, then yes, the t/tube needs tying in somehow, fitting the bolts and re enforcing the body at the bolt head is a good start, any extra bracing into the cage is better but it may fall foul of racing regulations/scruteneering at race events, check the local ASR's.
Old December 30th 2013, 14:11

Thats what i thought, finnish vw fellow with 300hp on a splitwindow also thought that torsionbars need support more than just body bolted to it

http://ub-52.blogspot.fi/ (The tubechassis car is a different project, i have designed that rear suspension.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QOrhwTLF3hA

I am thinking either cage tied to torsionbars or remmele style bars:

http://germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11601
Old December 30th 2013, 16:31

Quote:
Thats what i thought, finnish vw fellow with 300hp on a splitwindow also thought that torsionbars need support more than just body bolted to it

http://ub-52.blogspot.fi/ (The tubechassis car is a different project, i have designed that rear suspension.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QOrhwTLF3hA

I am thinking either cage tied to torsionbars or remmele style bars:

http://germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11601
Very nice Alex, tho I think the Remmele solution is OTT and getting heavy for anything without a 800 hp Turbo Porsche motor, I like simple and subtle solutions that are hard to spot, then you can cheat a bit lol
Walter, is your's a clutch scatter shield?
Old December 30th 2013, 16:59

Yeah, i think bars from mainloop to the torsionbar tubes will do the trick on most beetles.
Old December 30th 2013, 18:47

One way is a short blind tube bolted thro the body to the t/housing end on using the existing fixing point, say about 200mm vertical, then one down from the main hoop welded to the vertical piece, then up from there again to the diagonal, that way you get a good triangulation , plus the cage can come out if required.
Old December 31st 2013, 03:13

Quote:
Yeah, i think bars from mainloop to the torsionbar tubes will do the trick on most beetles.
Maybe, but I think what I felt could have been a change in toe on one side at the rear suspension, so the diagonal bar 'on the floor' (end of torsion tube to the mid of the main tunnel, as with the Remmele example, but less extreme, just one bar) would be most beneficial.

Spanner: yeah, scatter shield for clutch or flywheel retention is the correct term
Old January 21st 2014, 14:13

Fitted and all

Today I was at a shop that coincidentally had an engine with one of the very early Engoine Plus heads on the bench.
So I compared a little

Old January 22nd 2014, 05:56

Cool comparison! The TP Heads have much more cooling fins and it seems longer ports also.The latest generation Engine Plus heads have also much more cooling fins than the previous ones.Thorsten really did a fantastic job on those heads! I´m really looking forward to this project! Hope you´ll be in Spa this year with it!
Old January 22nd 2014, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Cool comparison! The TP Heads have much more cooling fins and it seems longer ports also.The latest generation Engine Plus heads have also much more cooling fins than the previous ones.Thorsten really did a fantastic job on those heads! I´m really looking forward to this project! Hope you´ll be in Spa this year with it!
Not to sound like a schmuck, but I can do the same comparison with a version 9 Engine Plus head as we just removed the heads from Nigel's 2,7ltr to have a look at the abused chines Nickies he runs.
We only had time today for the 3-4 cylinder side and those cylinders looked top!
Think I made a pic if your interested.
Old January 23rd 2014, 06:52

I´ve seen the version 9 heads also.They are a big improvement compared to the first generations,mainly the casting and material,so Jan Lackstetter a few years ago.However, they do perform very well. I would like to see the chinese cylinders,thanks!