GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 7th 2004, 15:10

Pauter Super Pro Heads

Hi everybody. First I have to apology my English, it might not be right all the time, but I hope You unterstand.

I have build a Type 4 engine for my friend. It is 2,63 liter with Pauter heads. Main use is a street drive, but sometime he plan to use it in strip, just for fun. We have some problems with valve seats, they all seem to move and unfortenately one seat came off, went in 3 peaces and cut the titanium exhaust valve. I take the rest valve seats off and I tig welded the combustion camber back to "normal". We still have to machine the heads and install new seats and so.

The reason I wrote is, have any of you, use The Pauter heads on road. I was wundering that are the cooling fins too little or not many enough for street? Or would the seats be too loose as originally? Any experiences?

To be honest the engine is a fuel injected ( programmable ), turbo charged and intercooled. With leaking valves and leaking wastegate it made at dyno only 0.6 bar boost and about 300 hp. I have allready driven it on road at 1,2 bar boost. It's still not the goal we are going to! At this moment I'm making the heads to watercooled to pass these seat problems.
Old August 10th 2004, 02:55

Nobody else have any experience with Pauter heads?
Old August 10th 2004, 03:48
Administrator

I have no dealings with these heads, but I think if you post your question at this link you can get so info.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewfo...63cafe514c1bbb

or here.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewfo...63cafe514c1bbb

Good luck.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old August 10th 2004, 08:17

Hello Mikko,
I don't have any experiences with these heads either, but I thought that the only one that does as far as I know (in my country) is Henk Hendriks (www.hotrod.nl, no info on that engine there tho). He owns one of the oldest VW aircooled shops, is very knowlegable and uses those heads in his Nitro'd tube framed dragster in a 2866 cc type 4.

My gut feeling is that they are totally unsuitable for more than 402m street driving, for the reasons you already mentioned.
As you will have guessed, Henk only drag races with that car.

Best of luck,
Walter
Old August 10th 2004, 09:45
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

With engine plus heads and basically any type 1 style heads with reduced finnage, it has been our observation that a set of Nickies go a long way to reduce head temperatures, which would be a good thing to keep your seats in their place and the valvetrain together for the longest time possible. This would also provide superior sealing, which under boost, would be a difficult task unless extreme measures are otherwise taken. I've also seen Nickies go a long way to making Scat split ports reliable, so there's a lot to be said for the cooling abilities of Nickies.

For example, I'm doing a 100mm Nickies cylinder for Raby (~10mm thick sealing surface) with 3.6L 911 gas filled gaskets for optimal head sealing. Maybe this would be a good starting point to make your 300+ horsepower beast fully streetable? To keep cost down, you could always use a set of 103s, and as long as you don't pour more than 1 bar, I think it should be more than streetable (using comparables cylinder wise from Porsche).

BTW, i've been looking for someone to do side by side testing between cast iron cylinders and aluminum ones on a big turbo type 4. Drop me a line and let's see if we can work something out.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Old August 12th 2004, 18:12

Ok, thanks. I'll check these.

Charles

At this moment we are using aircooled Deutz engine cylinders bored to 4,02". Porsche fan have been used all time now and in future it will cool the cylinders, while water will cool the heads. Your Nickies are very interesting, but I cannot promise to buy those.

Testing side by side would be interesting to do. Would you send me an private message what are you thinking about and maybe your email address. I would call, but I'm so far away that when you work, I'll and otherways!

Last edited by mikko k; August 14th 2004 at 12:50.
Old August 12th 2004, 18:34
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Will do!

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance