GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old September 28th 2005, 04:21

Porsche 5-speed conversion parts

Hi altogether,

I´m new here in this forum. Some of you may already know me by having bought some of my conversion parts in the past.
Although my aim is of commercial nature I would like to give you some info here in the forum.
I´ve read a lot of postings about various Porsche gearbox-types and the "problems" with installing them into Super Beetles and similiar cars. I also saw, that some of you had problems with the shifters that can be recommended to use in combination with a Porsche-gearbox.

I´ve been engaged with Porsche gearboxes (for Beetles) now since nearly 15 years. I developped some good parts, that allows to easily install a Porsche 5-speed into a Beetle.
I have conversion parts for 911 (901, 911/01), 914 and 915 gearboxes.
The conversion parts are: short nose cones (20 - 30 mm shorter than original ones); traverses (mounting bars) aluminium casted, heat treated; axle flanges for Beetles axles and for 944 or bus axles (driveshafts); mounting plates for clutch cables; clutch cable connectors to the clutch lever; ....

I also have developped a own 5-speed shifter, that makes the installation into Beetle a very easy thing to do. It has very short shift ways (55 mm) and it has a strong spring barrier, that keeps you from shifting into R-gear. Shifting from the 1st into the 2nd with a 901 or 914 simply means to move the shifter forward. The changing of the level will be done by the spring mechanism. This shifter allows very quick shiftings and there is no more difference to a conventional shift pattern.

I´m personally driving a 1303 with a 2.2 Subaru engine and a 914-gearbox with my shifter. The car and all the parts can be ssen on my site www.bugat5speed.de. If you have questions, then write me an e-mail to: info@bugat5speed.de.

I hope, that there is no problem, that I made this posting here in the forum, but I think a lot of you are interested in "how to install a 5-speed Porsche gearbox into a Beetle". Besides, there was a report about such a conversion (with my parts) in issue March 2005 of ULTRAVW.

Thanks for your interest Martin
Old September 28th 2005, 05:56

Good stuff.

If your feeling upto it you could create a tech article for the site, on the main page you will notice that there's a tech section with many articles. Take a look and have a think

Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old September 28th 2005, 11:03

Some brief comments:

1) By posting here, I assume you want into the US market. If that is the case, invest in an English version of your website. There seems to be very good products there, but it's hard to figure out. Most of your US market will NOT be bilingual, unlike a European market.

2) An installation guide would be an excellent idea, especially for the US market. Due to shipping from Europe, you are far more likely to sell parts here instead of whole transmissions. Seeing exacly how your parts are used in a conversion and pointing out ease of use would be good incentive for buyers.
Old September 28th 2005, 11:12

Porsche 5-speed conversions

Hi,

there has been a tech article in ULTRAVW issue March 2005. Perhaps one of you has it and can scan it. My scanner is out of order. This report shows how easy an installation of a 901 or 914 tranny is with my conversion parts.

The site will be in English hopefully in late autumn. The software with which it was made only allows a single lingual version at the moment. The software will be updated in a few weeks and then it will be multilingual. That will allow me to have it done in English also.

As long as it is not so, please don´t hesitate to contact me if you´ve got questions.

Cheers Martin
Old April 3rd 2006, 20:34

do you make parts to do a 901 conversion on an early split window bus?
Old April 3rd 2006, 21:21

R2.0,

I have a PDF version of the article, that is one of the things that I will be adding to the site.

Slow and steady.. Check the Bugat5speed vendor forum for updates.
VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463

Last edited by Bug@5speed(US); April 3rd 2006 at 21:38.
Old April 4th 2006, 21:43

Justinjurgens,

Sent you a PM on the subject.

VR
Alex
Old April 24th 2006, 23:56

Alex..........Is it possible to get that same info on the split bus conversion? I have a tail-shift 914 box from a 1.7 and I'm ready for the next step.

Thanks Eric
Las Vegas VW Club
Old April 25th 2006, 08:36

Mulk,

Sure, please PM me your email..

I am a little slow this week due to an accident this weekend, but I will get your questions taken care of
Alex
Old April 25th 2006, 17:56

Thanks. Take your time and heal up. I'm not going to get started 'til after the Classic.
Las Vegas VW Club