GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 30th 2005, 13:14

1914cc but want more...

Hi,
I'm somewhat new to the scene, I have owned my 1303 for a year now and after looking around I have decided what direction I want to take it.. I figured a new engine would be a good start.. I bought a 1914cc (140hp, type 1) not long ago, i trust the mechanic he is super good (old porsche race driver) he told me that i can take this car 100+mph, since i dont have a tach installed yet (i have a 912 4cyl laying in the front seat wating to be mounted) i dont know how far i can take the car. I have no problem "listening" to the rpm's, but what i can hear it feels like 5-6000 at around 75.. He installed a new gear box (longer gears, freeway flyer he called it) Does anyone know what i need to do to get the power i expected to get? im starting to doubt that it was a good buy. although i have 200 miles left on the breaking in period, (i havent driven it hard at all since its break in) but when its warm enough and im on the freeway i'd like to feel the "power" but its not there.. all i hear is HIGH rpm's.. maybe a common thing on this kind of motor i dont know. So please help me out with some ideas, it could concern anything.. also, is there any options for me to get more tourque/hp?
Thanks Cris
Old July 30th 2005, 18:29

guess no one is interested?

ok, i have seen this and wonder if anyone could give me advise about it?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...+10210/c-10110

to me it seams like a good option for that little extra im looking for without moving over to a WRX or 911 engine...

please share your knowlede if you want, would be very greatful!
Old July 30th 2005, 18:53

That is a tricky question you've thrown up there.

We really need to know what the engine is you've got. ie valves, head work, carbs, cam, etc etc. A 1914 built mostly with stock parts will drive nicely but not be a real race machine, or built differently (heads cam etc) it can be a serious performer.

Also a lot of the guys here are working on their rides, so there are those of us that still don't know how quick they're going to be until we finish!

The turbo will get it moving for sure, if you want to go that way I would check out AJ Sims Turbo kit, as from what I've read he has a lot of seat time developing this. http://lowbugget.com/main_page.html

I would really consider what you are using the car for, daily driver, weekend warrior etc, this is going to effect what you are prepared to do to it (ie spending the weekend fixing it so you can drive it to work on Monday isn't an enjoyable weekend if you do it every weekend!). If you want big power and reliabilitily be prepare to spend good money.

I'm afraid I can't offer any more advice, I am one of those still working on my car that has no idea how quick its going to be when I finish.

Good luck
Jeremy
Old July 30th 2005, 21:00

I'll try to gather all the info i can, i am in the learning process of cars.. this is my first car, and i know it is impossible to obtain what i want on the first try.. although i have a sharp mind on what it will look like.. I am going for a well built beetle, that is why i start with the main areas ie breaks, tranny, motor, susp. before i do stylin etc. I mainly wants to know what you guys's (that know more than i do) dos and donts are...

But thanks for your reply, and it is my only ride, but i do have much free time to work on it, as long as its driveble.. i WILL bring this car back to life and beyond despite what my friends say or anyone else.. I sat 5 h today reading different threads and they are great help when it comes to dos and donts..
So if any have more inputs dont hesitate to respond, i take any knowledge there is out there!
Old July 30th 2005, 22:57

Well from that little snipit of info I would say make sure that all of your components are in as new or better condition and then DRIVE IT!

I started on a brake conversion long ago and although that part of it is finished now I am still sorting out other bits and pieces that I should have sorted out to start with! Be prepared for things to take a lot longer than you first estimated and cost more. Brakes and suspension are things you shouldn't short cut on. So if it doesn't work the way you assumed, don't bodge it.

It won't beat a WRX or what ever fast cars you have over there but lots of young guys are writing themselves off in there fast cars.... don't take this the wrong way, but learn with the power you've got before getting power crazy.

There are loads of other forums around to get info off,
shoptalkforums, superbeetlesonly, cal-look, thesamba, aussieveedubbers etc etc... but beware of miss information, reading books from a library to give you the basic info is the best bet.

Good luck.
Jeremy
Old July 30th 2005, 23:09

if the guy that built it says the 1914 is 140hp...i would imagine the thing would have to rev high to make that sort of power. maybe 7-8krpm redline?

140hp out of a 1914 is a really decent effort.

as far as turbo goes...if you go on the www.aussieveedubbers.com forum be sure to get in contact with ian swinkles. he has a fuel injected, turbo 1641cc motor. and has made i believe 165rwhp.

not a bad effort from a 1641cc.

other guys have done subie conversions in australia over here and it is becoming quite the "popular" thing amongst the vw crowd. i would say go subie over 911 if you wanna do a conversion simply because the 911parts and engine prices will be phenomonal. whereas subie parts are generally cheaper. you will get huge power from a subie if you really want to. another option is to go a turbo rotary. i have chosen this option because of weight, not muchy cutting to make the 13bt fit. more than enough torque and power for what i need and also i dont mind revvy engines. i quite like them. wont be the BEST cruiser. but will get up and go when i put the foot down. but once again im one of these people that is still doing the conversion.

Anthony
Old July 30th 2005, 23:31

Thanks guys, and please dont take me for a "power" HP crazy guy.. I love my 1303 over any sports car out there, but i want to give them a struggle as well trying to pass me. I would like in the future do some racing on track, only to satisfy my personal needs, the thrill.. And I'm curious how "fast" good performance i get get out of it. My engine which i looked up is a 1915cc, ALL new pars, no parts on it is rebuilt. My "guy" is german and an truly amazing guy, i will post an image here, hope it works.. I saw on the conversion for the Audi V8 engine that he had a complete rebuilt chassi for mid engine, is that nessesary for any other make than VW engines? Like I said, i am not after the super results aka 250km/h but just a fast way of getting through the gears. I mostly looking for information I can take with me and you guys are making a awesome job trying to help me!
Old July 31st 2005, 16:44

no a custom chassis is not necessary for any other engine. the reason he had to get a complete new chassis design was because he was mid mounting the engine instead of mounting in the rear...my guess is beacuse a v8 wouldnt fit in the back. SUBIE, Rotary .etc can all use the chassis that you have now..maybe with a bit of trim work though for transmission .etc

Anthony
Old August 1st 2005, 16:18

just a short add to my question, will a turbo damage my engine? i have read about turbos over the weekend and i just wanna know from someone that knows about my kind of engine..
Old August 11th 2005, 08:45

the info you present is sketchy at best , the cam will heavily influence where your usable power is, and as you dont have a tacho you are just pissing in the dark.

i would suggest you follow the rule, speed costs money how much can you afford.

personally if i was you on a budget i would slip in a 76mm crank, to get 2110, and more torque, spec th heads cam and rocker gear properly, and dont judge the car until you have run it in and know what revs you are trying to operate at.

1910 should be about 130 hp,

2110 should easily give 150hp,

the hp will be heavily influenced by comp ratio, what did you set yours at? avove figures are based on 9.0:1

and if you really need more power there is room in a 9:1 setup for an extra 50hp of NOS. but make sure you have the right heads for it.

and dont forget brakes and suspension in the whole car setup
Old August 14th 2005, 18:07

What is sketchy about it? I am asking in order to gain more knowledge.. i Do have a Tach now, just installed my 911 tach...
Well, if i was concern about the cost then I wouldnt have spent so much money on just suspention brakes and engine.. although i didnt go for the worst or high end.. i just wanted it to be safe and faster..
The car is giving me more and more power for each mile, I have now go up til 800 miles on it and I start to feel the power.
My biggest problem was before I got the tach.. I thought I was running @ 5-6000 RPM's but now the tach shows me I was @ 3-4000.. big difference i would say.
Old August 14th 2005, 20:50

A tach out of a 911. I thought those tachs were only for 6 Cylinder engines?? I'm not 100% sure.

My advice would be to research everything. The more time you spend reading and asking questions, the less money you'll save in the long run. I started reading a Gene Berg book of technical articles, I'm not sure how good it is, but it seems like a very good source of information. I'm also thinking of putting a Turbo in my Ghia. I'll probably buy a book or two on turbo-ing a vw engine.

Good luck.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...

Last edited by Mikey; August 14th 2005 at 20:54.
Old August 14th 2005, 23:21

Hey Mike,
I guess you mean that i will save more money reading?
Yea I wrote it wrong, it's a 912 -68.. 4cyl.. works great! I just need a dash for it now...
And thats my next part, get the 911 dash.
Old August 15th 2005, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenitah
Hey Mike,
I guess you mean that i will save more money reading?
Yea I wrote it wrong, it's a 912 -68.. 4cyl.. works great! I just need a dash for it now...
And thats my next part, get the 911 dash.
That's exactly what I mean. I'm sure others would agree. I have made a few mistakes buying things and not useing them.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old August 16th 2005, 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
That's exactly what I mean. I'm sure others would agree. I have made a few mistakes buying things and not useing them.
Too right!!!

But that is all a part of the car modifying game. If we wanted easy we'd be driving Hondas or Toyotas!