GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 1st 2006, 14:54

Pros and Cons of Narrowed Beam vs Widened Fender/Wing/Guards

Living in Australia, its going to be very difficult to get hold of some widened front fenders/guards/wings. I've found someone that does the rears which is good, but seeing as there are no glass fronts, and I'd probably have to remortgage the house to get a panelbeater to widen some steel ones, I'm thinking maybe I can tuck my Porsche Boxter 17x7.5ET50's under the stock front fenders by putting a narrowed beam in there. I can get hold of a new 2 inch narrowed beam easily enough.

How does a narrowed beam car drive? Is it an Austin Powers golf cart exercise to do a U-turn? Am I likely to rub the front tyres on the inner fenders/torsion arms?

Any advice on the pro's and con's of narrowed beam versus widened fenders would be much appreciated.

My car is a 61 Karmann cab sitting on a 68 IRS chassis with a Lanner 4-pot Porsche kit on CB dropped spindles.

Thanks

Steve
Sydney, Australia
Old October 1st 2006, 18:44

all i can tell you is the turning circle is huge compared to stockish super, was a 2" narrow job and 17x8" wide wheels, and rubs on the inner arch (main body) at full lock unless the steering stops are adjusted properly, other than that its nice, i just hate the turning circle and the rubbing, hope that helps, wide fronts for supers are easy to find, fiberglass ones that is, ive seen a fair few standard bugs with them aswell, perhaps ask around at vw shops etc, i scored one of those old porsche style kits from Custom Bugs & Busses for $20 when i lived in sydney, abit of glass work and paint gives you a nice set of wide guards, about 2.5" all round, failing that, Volksconversions on the gold coast make all kinds of glass guards and other ugly kits, the pick of the bunch would be Aeros from V-force or Vintage VeeDub, ask Alex (blue racing oval) off here about them
Old October 2nd 2006, 11:50

there are places that do stock styled widen guards as well as others.
as previously mentioned v force, vintage and volks conversions. but there is also fibre fab in melbourne and a couple of others. fibre fab was about 300 a set plus about 150 for shipping to sydney. personally id go the aeros if i was to do it again its ether that or get the guards rolled to widen them

my complete sbug rebuild
if you dont believe that something so broken can be fixed have a look at the link above
Old October 2nd 2006, 16:19

i didn't do the requisite search, but i believe there are plenty of guys with 7et50's under stock fronts (maybe those were all supers though). are you sure you can't tuck those under with a stock beam?

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design