GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old May 16th 2006, 20:22

type 4 advice

Hi

ive just bought a type 4 motor,its a 1700cc with twin 40s,it needs built up as its in a few boxes but its all there,its got porsche fan etc and im just trying to think of the best way to go with it,i could leave it as is at 1700 and build it,or go to 2l or what do you say?

would i get a lot more power from the 1700 - 2000,any figures?would it be worth the extra cost? like most im working on a budget would you go even bigger? any advice welcome

cheers
Old May 17th 2006, 08:35

The only figures I have handy are US-specs from a 914. I have an owner's manual for a 412 but not with me.

The 1.7 liter (90x66mm = 1679cc) generated 80hp. The 1.8L was bored to 93mm (1795cc) but was listed as only 79hp as the compression ratio was dropped from 8.2:1 to 7.3:1. The 2.0L (94x71mm = 1971cc) had 95hp with a 7.6:1 c/r. I am quite certain these hp ratings were not at the wheel. I didn't see any torque ratings.

The next two engines in size by popularity are the 2056cc and the 2270cc. Of course, there is a lot more to the story than size. Jake Raby has many different versions of the 2270 for example -- each with differing specs and purposes. It's all in the combo is a catch-phrase of his he should have copyrighted, trademarked, or whatever legal category it would fall into.

I am sort of pondering a similar issue as you. I placed my engine plans on the back-burner while taking care of house renovations and smaller issues with my cars. There may be an opportunity that can't be passed up. I have my own investigating to do.

Your situation poses two main questions. The first is: What are your plans? Are you looking to put your engine together, then do upgrades? Do you have a power band you are specifically looking for?

The second question is: What is your ballpark budget? Is the money now available, or is becoming available in portions over time? Do you do your own work (like boring out cylinders)? One person's "limited budget" is another's small fortune and someone else's chump change.
Old May 17th 2006, 11:31

the plans are the car is having a full resto and i was going to go with a type 1 say 1776 but this came up and i couldnt refuse,im not planning on doing upgrades id rather do it all now (or near enough it all,something to last 3 or 4 years at least till my bank balance recovers) budget is important but ive went over budget on everything so i guess it will do on engine,ive not got a budget in mind as such,but say upto £2k tops on parts,money is available now and ive been in touch with an engine builder in the uk but i want to get all the guys opinions that drive type 4 motors
if you had the same motor sitting in the garage what would you go for and how much roughly would you expect to spend on parts alone to get what you want?

thanks for your reply
Old July 16th 2006, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02cab
if you had the same motor sitting in the garage what would you go for and how much roughly would you expect to spend on parts alone to get what you want?

thanks for your reply
Again , this raises some more questions - is this going to be a daily driver , or is this a "drop the hammer , blow away the mustang in the next lane" car . If its going to be closer to a daily driver , then I would stick closer to a stock engine with ony minor mods , like full flow oiling , better air induction and ignition , and an opened up exhaust . For extra power , I would go with a close to stock 2.0l configuration . This should give you good power , and good reliability . This is what I am planning for with a daily driver Super .
Old July 16th 2006, 17:06

o2cab......... keep the 1700 case as these case have more strength in the cylinder spigot area ( that's jakes findings ). This engie ( 1700 case ) can be built into any size type4 engine.