GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old May 6th 2010, 08:38

MSD 6AL and Altnator Idiot Light

Wanted to get some info on MSD 6AL installation. I have also replaced my coil with an MSD blaster coil. My question is, the old coil system used a black wire that ran from the coil post #15 directly to the fusebox. With the removal of that coil, the black line was omitted. The MSD box has a thin red wire which I have assumed would take the place of that previous black line.

In the end my issue is that my alternator idiot light is inconsistent on turning on. Turns on in the morning for 2 to 3 minutes then goes off. Then will work for 2 to 3 days then not work again. I have rewired my alternator (no voltage regulator) and have checked everything. Don't know if this will fix the issue but its all I can figure. Any help would be appreciated. I drove in today to work on 10 volts

Last edited by elev8_dude; May 6th 2010 at 13:30.
Old May 6th 2010, 16:04

are you using the stock dizzy? or a billet one? i have a 6al with a mallory and a blaster ss coil. i wired it per the supplied instructions with no trble at all.
Old May 6th 2010, 22:51

Thanks Lazarus. I have the billet and installed according to instructions. I'll have to bit the bullet and pull the battery and alternator to be checked. The idiot light has been inconsistent so I figured it was bad wiring. Will work for a few days then not work for a week. Will work in the morning and then not work in the afternoon. Sometimes it works for just a couple of minutes on start up. Now it does not work at all. Any additional help would be appreciated. Thanks for the reply.

What light could I get locally to replace the existing one?