GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old October 4th 2005, 03:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
the 5 speed from the 964 C-2 handles 600 pound feet of torque
Guess what I'm picking up this afternoon! A 1992 version with only 25k miles on the clock, a 6 speed was going to be a too long for me...

Rich
Old October 4th 2005, 03:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep
Making a front mount is no big deal
For who?
Quote:
and the shift rod is a peice of cake if you use 2 U-joints and a piece if steel tubing.
For who?
Quote:
When I did my 914 trans swap ...
Ah, now we're getting somewhere.
Quote:
If you are using a T4 engine, why not use the gearbox that was meant to go with that engine ?
A 914 has a 5-speed. So does the one-year 912. All other Type IV's came with four-speeds, however -- the 411, the 412, the Type 2 (bus), and the Type 25 (Vanagon).

To answer your question beyond the fact there were more Type IV's with four-speeds than five-speeds, not everyone has a garage and/or the know-how to be doing a DIY conversion.

I don't.

Also, not everyone wants to do a full-on conversion requiring special modifications.

Again, I don't.

The more threads I see in the Transmission folder posing questions about this, that and the other thing with regards to any Porsche tranny, the more I want to shy away from it. I am not a DIY'er. I won't be spending a month of Sundays tweaking this and converting that.

Now, I will say I would prefer a five-speed all things being equal. And I would have no problems paying more for it. I even prefer the 2-5 H-pattern truth be known. (I test-drove many 914's before buying a Fiat way back when.) When I owned my Vanagon, I often wanted to take it to a fifth gear.

But it has to be something straight-forward to install and straight-forward to maintain.

I wish I had the know-how you guys have so my definition of straight-forward would be the same as yours. I don't. And I won't be shipping my car across the Atlantic anytime soon either. That would be nonsense.
Quote:
I rarely use first gear in my beetle anyways ... I've got enough torque to start off in second ... and only use first to play with the Ricers at the lights.
So in effect, you have a four-speed, too. I'm just kidding.

BTW, all VW's with four speeds are overdrive in fourth. And I'm not offended by differing opinions becasue I fully understand there are differing perspectives from mine. I would prefer my opinion based on my research not be called nonsense. I want to be talked into a five-speed when the day comes I get my 2270 or similar.
Old October 4th 2005, 09:48
Administrator

Oasis,

If you are looking for a bolt in 5 speed solution, perhaps Martin's kit is what you need.

If you have a buddy with a welder, the fab work is simple ... I think I spent about 10$ in materials for the front mount and the shift rod (not including the u-joints). You have to be comfortable with removing the engine and stock transmission by yourself.

I wish I had known about Martin's kit when I built my setup .. would have taken less time to get it installed.

Driving a bug with a proper 5 speed is quite an experience ... I'm talking properly spaced gearing ... not a close ratio 4 and then a big gap between 4th and 5th or a 4 speed with a huge gap between 3rd and 4th.

Either Berg 5 or 901 ... you do have a choice ... I've made mine

Its fun keeping up with a C230 kompressor on the highway at 190 kph

Sandeep
Old October 4th 2005, 16:12

I never heard of Martin's. Although I don't know a welder now, I may get to know one. (Six months ago I didn't know anyone who could machine alloy wheels like my BBS's but necessity forced me into action.)

I'm still a bit away from drivetrain improvements. When I get closer, I will revisit this post and ask a few more questions. I'm assuming a 2270 will be in the 125-150 hp and ft-lbs range. (I don't know how the latter translates in terms of Nm.)

You also mentioned Berg. Do you thing their 5-speed is up to snuff with my probable engine?

Thanks for good information.
Old December 26th 2005, 23:09

Question 915 source?

Anyone know a good source for a 915 tranny, possibly in Illinois or Chicagoland area? Thanks.
JiI
Old January 17th 2006, 17:17

Hey guys! What's wrong with the 901 shifting pattern? (be specific, just trying to understand . thx!).
Also, is there a way to fit the 901 with a swing arrangement or does one absolutely has to do the IRS conversion??
thanks all
Louis
Old January 18th 2006, 06:08

Assuming you are familiar with a Beetle shift pattern, 1st in the P 'box is where Reverse is in a Bug. 2nd in the P is where 1st is for the Bug. 3rd is where 2nd is, 4th is where 3rd is, and 5th is back where 4th is.
Finding 1st in the 901 g'box requires manipulating a lockout like the VW's reverse.

It is interesting that Martin's kit is $1300USD, while a Berg 5 kit (without the mount and shifter) is also $1300.

A ZF LSD for a Bug trans is half the price of the one for a 901.
Old January 18th 2006, 12:30

Thanks for the answer Bruce. Its not that bad, the way it was mentioned was looking like such a big deal...
What about the other question: do i have to convert my swing axle to IRS?
Louis
Old January 18th 2006, 13:44

IMO you really have to drive a car with that bastard shift pattern to know for sure if you can stand it. I was able to drive a friend's early 911S. I knew right away I didn't want that.

You have to upgrade your rear susp to IRS. Why would you not want to?
Old January 18th 2006, 15:26

Why not? i don't know, i must be effraid of the scope of the project i guess... The fact is nowhere i found a real comprehensive, step by step, clear instruction of that transformation and the complete list of required matl.

In general, you always find hyper simplification of what a job like this needs in forums (here or somewhere else), web or books that I found (I am wondering about this one for a while and somehow gave up for now). Expression like "super easy", "in a snap", or the more gastronomic "piece of cake" are writen all over the place. I'd like to see things this way, but i don't, i must be kinda slow I guess.

I'm not saying that I will not do it one day, but not before I fully understand what the job means (if you know good ressource on the swing-IRS transformation, please let me and other like me know). I just don't want to end up with the insect guts spreaded all over the floor wondering how the f*** i can get it to work again...

Sorry if its off topic.
Old January 21st 2006, 00:27

Anyone have a lead on a 1976 912E tranny? also known as a 923.

I've been looking for one.
Old January 21st 2006, 05:58

Pete, is that g'box geared differently from the 6 cyl 915?
Old January 21st 2006, 13:46

Yes, it was geared for use with a 4cyl. Its basically a 915 5spd with a 901 bellhousing. The 912E's were 5spd with a 4cyl motor.

So if anyone has a line on one, please let me know. Thanks