GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Old May 22nd 2006, 14:38

What do I need to do to make these work?

Ok I just bought a 69 beetle today and I am very new to VW's. I want to know if I can run these on drums with adapters until I get enough coin for a 5 bolt disk brake setup. They are 17 x 7" / 42mm Jetta rims.
here is a link for of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-7-...66294819QQrdZ1

any help would be appreciated.
Old May 22nd 2006, 15:37

I don't know of any 4x130 to 5x100 adaptors. VDubEngineering, one of our talented sponsors, can help you with brake conversions when your finances warrant it.

You will have other issues to address. I have the 5x100 bolt pattern on my Super Beetle but I can't help you as you have a standard Beetle. I can guess at what you will need but there are those on here that can be more helpful so I will just leave my response as it is.
Old May 22nd 2006, 20:29

So Basically I should be looking for something with a 5 x 130 bolt pattern ?
Old May 22nd 2006, 23:52

I put something like that on a 70' with rear drums that were drilled for 5x100 cip1.com and got airkewlds "bad brakes" that had 5x100 to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5x100.jpg (75.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 5x1001.jpg (69.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg volkstag.jpg (64.1 KB, 47 views)
Old May 23rd 2006, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69veedub
Ok I just bought a 69 beetle today and I am very new to VW's. I want to know if I can run these on drums with adapters until I get enough coin for a 5 bolt disk brake setup. They are 17 x 7" / 42mm Jetta rims.
here is a link for of them.

any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to Germanlook.com Nice wheels, like Oasis said, check out VDubEngineering. My best advice would be to save the money up and by the redrilled disk first. You'll save money in the long run. Either email Lanner and get his opinion, or he might jump in and post on this thread. He makes several differant 'kits', and he also offers services, like redrilling to differant patterns. Check out the site below.

www.vdubengineering.com
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old May 23rd 2006, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64bug
I put something like that on a 70' with rear drums that were drilled for 5x100 cip1.com and got airkewlds "bad brakes" that had 5x100 to.
Nice bug! I was looking at te airkewld website and was cinsidering that route, but the are real proud of their stuff. It's a little spendy for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
Welcome to Germanlook.com Nice wheels, like Oasis said, check out VDubEngineering. My best advice would be to save the money up and by the redrilled disk first. You'll save money in the long run. Either email Lanner and get his opinion, or he might jump in and post on this thread. He makes several differant 'kits', and he also offers services, like redrilling to differant patterns. Check out the site below.

www.vdubengineering.com
Thanks for the info, and I think you're right about doing it all at once. I think I can live with stock wheels for a few monthes until I get enough money to do it all together. That way I know everything will fit when I am done.

BTW, what is the standard drop usually? 2.5" spindles?