GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old May 28th 2003, 04:35

Unhappy type I 2332 engine

Hi everyone! glad to be back. My system crashed back in March, then it was time to buy another year of very slow internet provider. So the wife treated me to a flat screen and a cable modue, now I hit enter and zap its there. So now to my big problem, I've heard for a daily driver one should not go above a 2110 but silly me I went to a 2332. I bought the C.B. heads o44 big valves. one and five eights headers, first used my DCNFs but the things kept dripping at the discharge nozzle. I feel it was because of the #2 cylinder miss. This miss started from the very first start up and still come and goes. I install a set of 044 with the CB upgrade secondariers. I really tried to put the bell and whistles in on this one, only to receive a bad headache. (problem) my front crank pulley has a oil leak after a drive, not hard drive. I tried a bandage fix of using a sand seal pulley but still the problem won't go away. Your help I sure could use.

Thanks
EffVee
Old May 28th 2003, 07:24

oil leak around pulley on 2332

I run a 2332 cc T1 on the street and had the same problem . The problem is with breathing the engine. I have almost cured it by running vented rocker covers. When I say almost cured it in much better than it was and ammounts to a few droplets under drag racing conditions. The problem I have was worsened by running the Porsche fan conversion because the original breather in the conversion kit is much smaller than the original volkswagen one. Remember to run the catch with this breather setup as high as possible .

. The other thing to check is the tollerance of your pulley. If its a cheapy it does not have to be off much to allow oil to get past .
One final thing is to check your oil level with a proper dipstick. I was using an aftermarket chrome one and the upper level was WAAY out . A portion of my problems were overfill of oil.! I now run it on the lowest level.
Good Luck! 2332 is not too big for the street ! All depends on how you put it together

Big motor-Big brakes-Big wheels-Big FUN !!!!
Old May 29th 2003, 04:15

Thanks

Hi, thanks for your insight, you are the second person saying to vent or a vent problem is at fault. I'm going to reintroduce the blow-by into the intake. Sure hopes this will help, quite messy.
Old May 29th 2003, 06:45

blow by vent

Beware with the connection of a "blow- by " hose to the intake side of the induction setup as what can happen can be disasterous !. The idea behind sending a breather hose to the carby top is to use the vaccume effect to draw out the vapours ,however if it really blows by you can just send oily blow by fumes into the induction system. Big smoke! Fouled plugs! Dont do it !
If you vent it to a breather then at least all you do is fill the breather box with oil, not your engine. Remember big motors with big counterweighted cranks dont allow much room in an engine case . Yours could be actual blow by , that is past the rings , in which case a set of total seal rings will help . Or it could be just lack of adequate crank case ventillation. Yours sounds like ring blow by so it would be better to fix the cause. Another thing to look at is if you treated it too nicely during breakin. If you dont get those rings through the rev range properly you can glaze the cylinder walls and the rings will never seal properly. Anyway ,just try a proper breather box and see how you go. Run the oil on lowest mark and you may find the problem much easier to cope with . Let me know. Good luck! :haveadrin

Big motor-Big brakes-Big wheels-Big FUN !!!!

Last edited by dgluyas; May 29th 2003 at 06:53.