GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 28th 2012, 01:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
Hay Richard, I put off to long the 356 lifters money problems () no one seems to have them in the states. I hope you have not forgot me and Engine Plus. I have a machinst friend that will try and make me a complete set. I have a stock .020 over set in regular meterial. What I need is a good choice in Bonze alloy. I was looking for Beryillum, but I have learned that is copper. Richard, do you know of any Bonze that will make a good set of bearings?

My machinst made these for me with ease on a regular lath.
If I can get my hands on a good set of 356 lifters can your guy laser them for me? Stay in touch, good to hear from you.
No, I remember your issue with E Plus...

As to the Beryllium Copper that is used for valve seats for Titanium valves, it's like around 80% copper with something like 3% Beryllium and 17% of other materials for example to hold the materials together.

My friend no longer works at the EDM shop, he has moved back to Germany. And lasers were not used, it was an electrical charge (Electrical Discharge Machining) on little tiny copper rods or wire.

As to the 356 style lifters, I recommend you pass on those for your Turbo build, the spring pressure needed for boost I think is to much for those lifters.

I recommend you have your bronze lifter bushings machined out to Type 1 lifter diameter and run Tool Steel Type 1 lifters, they will handle the spring pressure and Turbo Spool far better than the 356 style lifters. There are a number of people who carry them.

I liked your cyl's, except for the stud pattern. And your going to need to mock those up on your motor, and I am talking about the crank installed at least one rod per side to determine how much they will have to be shortened to set your deck, due to they need to be machined before you have them plated.
Old January 28th 2012, 02:25

I'll say one thing that I didn't like with my cylinders. Jorge had the Machinst trim my fins. I did not instruct Jorge to trim my fines
Old January 28th 2012, 13:38

Quote:
I'll say one thing that I didn't like with my cylinders. Jorge had the Machinst trim my fins. I did not instruct Jorge to trim my fines
You did say fix the cyl's so their usable, since you were not taking them back to the machinist who screwed them up to begin with, and the fins had to be cut in order for you to use them.

If you had tried to mock up the cyl's with the studs you would have found the problem. Jorge had asked me to mock them up on my case to check for any issues with mounting and becase my case was cut for 103mm cyl's and it had the long stroker studs installed.

There are a left & right cyl, the left cyl fit no. 2 & no. 3 cyl position, the right cyl will fit the no. 1 & 4 cyl position in the case, that is partially because of the where the fins are cut so they can sit next to each other and the other side where the notch is to clear the case, then there is also because of the well know fact that the Type lV has the off set stud pattern of which the bottom 2 studs are wider than they are at the top, which means the cyl's can not be fliped upside down .

Your machinist that had drilled the stud holes and trimmed the cyl's for clearance made you 4 left cyl's, and the only fix was to machine all the cyl fins the same so they would fit the stud pattern and have the capacity to cool the same.

Old January 28th 2012, 14:28

Trimming

I have not fitted the cylinders with studs. Since I have not done this yet, I may stand corrected. I received the stud pattern from Gregg Riddle, and had a blue print made in order for a CNC progarmmer to input. If what you say is correct, I will need to have a mechine shop do 8 more sets (bummer). I will get some ARP bolts and go to the next level.

Richard, you once gave me a name of a rebuilder of speed-o and tach. I tried to find the contact again but don't remember the name. He makes custom gauge face plates. Do you still have or remember his name or site?

Last edited by effvee; January 28th 2012 at 14:35.
Old January 28th 2012, 14:39

"As to the 356 style lifters, I recommend you pass on those for your Turbo build, the spring pressure needed for boost I think is to much for those lifters".

Richard, am I to understand the new 39 gram 356 styled lifter won't be able to withstand the spring rate?

Last edited by effvee; January 28th 2012 at 19:12.
Old January 29th 2012, 00:38

Quote:
I have not fitted the cylinders with studs. Since I have not done this yet, I may stand corrected. I received the stud pattern from Gregg Riddle, and had a blue print made in order for a CNC programmer to input. If what you say is correct, I will need to have a machine shop do 8 more sets (bummer). I will get some ARP bolts and go to the next level.

Richard, you once gave me a name of a re-builder of speed-o and tach. I tried to find the contact again but don't remember the name. He makes custom gauge face plates. Do you still have or remember his name or site?
The stud pattern was correct, but what has to be done is the fin designed has to be mirrored, and what happen was the fin design was mirrored which is shown buy your pics with them installed in the case and so was the stud pattern but shouldn't of been. So the fins get mirrored and the stud pattern does not, to get a better idea what I am talking about check against a set of stock cyl's

What do you mean about doing 8 more sets ?

This place does good work.

http://www.paspeedo.com/porsche914combi.htm

Quote:
"As to the 356 style lifters, I recommend you pass on those for your Turbo build, the spring pressure needed for boost I think is to much for those lifters".

Richard, am I to understand the new 39 gram 356 styled lifter won't be able to withstand the spring rate?
For the money you have in this motor, it's not worth even taking a chance. I have a set of the E Plus 356 Style lifters & the New design Aluminum bushings, and I will run 110 pds seat & it will be 270 pds over the nose with Beehive springs but I am running N/A. You should have at the very least 170 pds seat and at least 350 pds over the nose and those lifters are not going to handle those pressures very long especially when the turbo spools and the rpms jump.

The Tool Steel Type 1 are much stronger, and better than that would be to go roller...

But it's your decision.

Last edited by Type4Unleashed; January 29th 2012 at 01:40.
Old January 29th 2012, 01:44

udo Becker

Is there any copmany state side selling tool steel lifters?

All of my gauges are in good working order. I need custom face plates, I bought some dual cht/egt gauges and I would like to have everything uniform, it possible.
Old January 29th 2012, 04:08

Quote:
Is there any copmany state side selling tool steel lifters?

All of my gauges are in good working order. I need custom face plates, I bought some dual cht/egt gauges and I would like to have everything uniform, it possible.

A couple of Tool Steel lifter options in the link:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...tButton=Search

If you would of search their site, you would of found they do custom face plates.
http://www.paspeedo.com/porschecustomcoloring.htm
Old January 29th 2012, 21:22

Edm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type4Unleashed View Post
My friend no longer works at the EDM shop, he has moved back to Germany. And lasers were not used, it was an electrical charge (Electrical Discharge Machining) on little tiny copper rods or wire..
Richard is it possible for me to go to the shop your friend use to work and have them perform the service on my new lifters. I'd really like to have the lifters drilled (with EDM) like I had the 356 lifters done.
Old February 2nd 2012, 00:30

I don't think it's necessary and I don't recommend it. And if you go with the Tool Steel Type 1 lifters, just leave them alone. They are not broke, so don't fix them.

And I have seen a couple sets of Type 1 lifters that went bad and it looked like it was because of the oiling hole ?

But if you have to have it done, any EDM shop can do it.

http://www.qualityedm.com/

http://www.manta.com/cmap/mryctbd/reliable-e-d-m

Last edited by Type4Unleashed; February 2nd 2012 at 11:44.
Old February 2nd 2012, 22:54

Quote:
I don't think it's necessary and I don't recommend it. And if you go with the Tool Steel Type 1 lifters, just leave them alone. They are not broke, so don't fix them.

And I have seen a couple sets of Type 1 lifters that went bad and it looked like it was because of the oiling hole ?

But if you have to have it done, any EDM shop can do it.

http://www.qualityedm.com/

http://www.manta.com/cmap/mryctbd/reliable-e-d-m
Hi Richard, well you know me, I'm still batting zero, but what the hay. With all of the oil pressure my oil pump will be capable of putting out having extra oil for lobs and rockers I don't think will hurt anything. My PSI regulator will be set for 80 I don't want that oil pump 33 or 35mm just bi-passing oil back into the sump. I'll have the lifter resurface for sure, thanks.

Old February 9th 2012, 23:12

Lifters

Ok I have the type one lifters, but I'm told that I may need new mechinst services of which may cause the old bushing total removal and new ones. Wow it feel like I'm doing everything twice bummer.

Also I will need to re-think the oil pressure regulator. My needs are to maintain 80 psi, shag, the person I bought the lifters from stated Jack Sacchette filter housing had an internal 80 psi setting. For me the problem of oil pressure regulating has been traced to dissimular metals (steel piston) Alum housing and there expansion rate.

Last edited by effvee; February 11th 2012 at 12:50.
Old February 19th 2012, 18:31

Quote:
No, the thrust bearings on the Type lV are on the flywheel end and are where the end play is set between the flywheel and bearing with flywheel shims, the center mains are already steel backed so no need to do those in bronze, center thrust are installed on Type 1 motors when flanged cranks are used.

But you have to be careful now, the I think it's Mahle bearings that have been coming out for the Type lV are no longer steel back center mains.

It's not only the correct crush, but the materials expansion rates, a bronze thrust bearing was made and the wrong combination of materials were used and the bearing expanded too much and sized on the crank.

So it's a matter of finding the right combination of materials to get the correct expansion rate. For example valve guides are made of bronze, actually silicon bronze.
Me again, I now have heard another way to go is with BMW bearings. Can you shed some light on this? From what I have heard all of the bearing will be halves and using BMW steelbacked bearings; as an update/better mouse trap.

When I had my case done, my bearings cam all Alum.
Old February 21st 2012, 20:59

BMW bearings for the type IV case

Quote:
Me again, I now have heard another way to go is with BMW bearings. Can you shed some light on this? From what I have heard all of the bearing will be halves and using BMW steelbacked bearings; as an update/better mouse trap.

When I had my case done, my bearings cam all Alum.
Ok, now I have learned that, only a type IV case using stadard bearing, can use the BMW bearings. I was told that I will need to stick with stock 20 over bearing.
Old April 1st 2012, 07:20

effvee which of the BMW bearing can be used in the t4.