GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old November 30th 2010, 06:35

Fitting 944 Brakes to Ball Joint Dropped Spindles

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and looking for some help and advise! It's probably been covered somewhere in the forums but I can't find it and will just end up confusing myself!

I have a set of front and rear disc's from an early 944 that I'm looking to fit to my bug. The bug is running ball joint front and swing axle rear. For the front I've found information as to what size bearing spacers I need and the amount of machining to the back of the porsche hub I would need to do in order for them to fit the vw spindle, however I'm stuck for working out how to mount the caliper. All the conversions I've seen for ball joint setups are done on std drum spindles and run the caliper off an adapter that bolts to the backing plate holes on the spindle. The problem is I've got dropped drum spindles and the holes for the backing plate are higher and the steering arm will be in the way for the caliper adapter to fit. Has anyone done a caliper mount for the drum dropped spindle or am I gonna have to swap for disc dropped spindles?

Any advise is welcomed.

I haven't looked at the fitting the rears yet so there maybe questions on that to follow!!

Cheers
Rob
Old December 30th 2010, 09:07

Guess no one's ever done this then??
Old December 31st 2010, 08:11

you can take a look at my post here http://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10387. I have a typ3 and using 4 pot brembo's what i did was cut the mounting tabs off a set of 944 spindles and welded them in the right position to mount the calipers.
Old January 6th 2011, 18:18

944 NA brakes on BJ dropped spindles are a pain in the neck. The rotor isn't that big, so that positions the caliper close to center (radially), so if you try and position the caliper under the steering arm the spindle will require a lot of clearancing. I wouldn't recommend it with cast dropped spindles. (By comparison, 944Turbos are a breeze because the caliper if further out and very little spindle clearancing is required).

Or you can position the caliper over the steering arm, it's a little awkward (ie caliper removal may be required to bleed, to insure bleeder valve is plumb) to bleed sometimes but does the trick. I do this with 944NA brake on early beetle dropped spindles (link pin).

Lanner